Connect with us

News

Terrorists dare Trump, kill scores

Published

on

Armed groups have intensified attacks across parts of northern Nigeria following United States air strikes targeting Islamic State-linked militants in Sokoto State.

Findings by Saturday PUNCH revealed that no fewer than 47 people have been killed and 35 kidnapped between December 25, 2025, and January 2, 2026.

Some of the attacks were carried out on communities in Adamawa, Zamfara, Kwara, Plateau, Nasarawa, Yobe and Kano states by bandits, ISWAP and Boko Haram fighters.

President Donald Trump, last Christmas, announced in a post on his Truth Social platform that US forces conducted deadly strikes against Islamic State terrorists in Northwestern Nigeria, and vowed more attacks if the militants keep killing Christians.

The Defence Headquarters later said intelligence gathered ahead of the mission confirmed the presence of terrorists in the area, adding that a battle damage assessment was still ongoing.

Renewed attacks

However, monitoring of security incidents between December 25 and January 2 shows an escalation in violence, with many communities coming under renewed assault.

A tally of media reports indicates that at least 82 people were either killed or kidnapped during the period.

The figure includes more than 35 people abducted and 47 killed, while over 12 others sustained injuries.

The actual number of abductees may be higher, as some reports did not disclose figures.

Several people were abducted when suspected bandits attacked the Omi-Ara community in Yagba West Local Government Area of Kogi State.

In the same council, gunmen also attacked the Odo-Ere community on Sunday night and abducted at least four residents.

On 30 December, women and children travelling from Wanke to Gusau were kidnapped but were later rescued by security forces.

On 27 December, suspected bandits attacked the Adanla community in the Ifelodun LGA of Kwara State and abducted more than eight people.

On 29 December, at least eight people were killed when gunmen carried out coordinated attacks on Kaiwa, Gelawu and Gebbe villages in the Shanga LGA of Kebbi State.

In Zamfara State, 16 women were abducted, two people were killed, and several others were injured when Sabon-Layi village in the Wanke district of Gusau LGA was attacked.

See also  IG appoints Abimbola Adebisi as new Lagos police spokesperson

At least seven farmers were reported killed during an attack in Bum community in Jos South LGA of Plateau State.

The traditional ruler of Aafin community, Oba S. Y. Olaonipekun, and one of his sons, who is a National Youth Service Corps member, were abducted in the Ile-Ire district of Ifelodun LGA of Kwara State.

Gunmen also attacked Kunza community in Ashigye village in Lafia LGA of Nasarawa State, killing three people and injuring nine others on 31 December.

On 26 December, bandits kidnapped five travellers along the Ogbe-Egbe Road and injured one other person.

ISWAP also claimed it fired mortars at a Nigerian military camp in Goniri, Yobe State, although the extent of damage was not disclosed.

On Wednesday, a security analyst, Brant Phillips, said ISWAP raided a village, killing 11 “hostile” Christians, destroying a church and over 100 houses and capturing their properties.

This is the first time ISWAP refers to a group of Christians as being “hostile”, following ISCAP using this same wording recently.

A former United States Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, in a post on X, urged Trump to conduct a follow-up strike to increase the pressure on the terrorists.

He said, “Nigeria’s Christians deserve the chance to worship our Lord without fear. If President Trump follows up last week’s strikes against ISIS with a sustained pressure campaign, we’ll see important advances for religious freedom in Nigeria and beyond.”

Boko Haram kills 14 in Adamawa

The Chairman of Hong LGA in Adamawa State, Usman Inuwa, confirmed that Boko Haram killed 14 people in two villages in the local government.

Inuwa, who spoke with Saturday PUNCH on Friday, said Boko Haram invaded two villages, Mubang and Zar, at night, killing 14 people and injuring two others.

“Around 9pm on that day, Boko Haram invaded Mubang and Zar villages, which are close to Sambisa forest. They killed 14 people, shot two people and burnt dozens of houses with foodstuffs.

“These villages are located near Sambisa forest, and there are no other villages in between. It is a vast empty land, so Boko Haram took advantage of the ungoverned spaces to attack and kill innocent people”, he said.

See also  Convention: Four PDP governors storm Ibadan as INEC signals boycott

Inuwa added that a combined team of military and vigilante in the past guarded the area, repelling Boko Haram attacks.

Bandits on Thursday night also attacked Yankwada, Babanduhu and other villages in Shanono LGA of Kano State, killing one person and carting away cows.

The terrorists, who reportedly stormed the areas on 50 motorcycles, engaged the Nigerian military in a heavy gun battle until about 5am on Friday morning.

The Chairman of Shanono/Bagwai Community Security Forum, Alhaji Yahya Bagobiri, confirmed the incident to Saturday PUNCH, saying that the bandits came on a revenge mission after losing nine of their members last week to the military fire powers.

Bagobiri called on the Federal Government to provide more arms and redeploy more personnel to complement those gallant officers on ground.

When contacted, the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations 3 Brigade Nigerian Army, Capt. Babatunde Zubairu, confirmed the attack via a WhatsApp message.

“All the details are true except that they didn’t kill anyone and there was no rustling of cows,” he said.

Terrorists move to Niger, Kaduna

Meanwhile, a community leader in the state has hinted that terrorists displaced by the U.S. air strikes in Sokoto may be attempting to infiltrate the state  from neighbouring states through multiple routes.

The community leader, who spoke to Saturday PUNCH on condition of anonymity due to security concerns, said intelligence reports indicated that some fleeing fighters were moving into Niger and Kaduna through parts of Katsina and the Zamfara border, while others were transiting from Kebbi towards Kwara and parts of the South-West.

“Yes, there are movements. Terrorists are infiltrating Niger and Kaduna through parts of Katsina and the Zamfara borders. Some from Kebbi are also running towards Kwara and the South-West,” he said.

He noted that the development had heightened tension in rural communities and prompted local armed groups to enforce internal discipline following what he described as minor breaches of existing peace arrangements.

“Two days ago, some bandits met at Ungwan Nachibi, where the Kachalla warned that any member found breaching the peace agreement would have his rifle and motorcycle seized,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Wike, Military Officers Clash Over Alleged Land Grab In Abuja

The community leader added that the directive also included driving out unfamiliar persons entering the area without clearance, as a measure to prevent infiltration.

He further disclosed that aerial surveillance had been intensified, with Nigerian Air Force aircraft hovering daily over parts of Birnin-Gwari, Niger State and areas bordering Kebbi to monitor movements.

“As it is now, people are more vigilant and are reporting any suspicious movement capable of breaching peace,” he said, stressing that no Boko Haram or ISWAP attack has been recorded in Kaduna since the airstrikes, describing current actions as preventive.

Suspected bandits on Wednesday evening invaded Adanla community, a suburb of Igbaja in Ifelodun LGA, abducting eight residents and injuring several others.

Community sources told Saturday PUNCH that the attack triggered panic, forcing many residents to flee to neighbouring towns and farms for safety, fearing further assaults.

Village heads and residents confirmed that some families have temporarily abandoned their homes, especially in Aafin and Adanla, as fear spreads across the area.

No attack in Sokoto

Findings by Saturday PUNCH revealed that no attacks were reported in Sokoto States since the US air strikes.

Our correspondent in Skoto gathered that unlike in previous times when reports of attacks on communities are persistent, things have now slowed down somehow.

Confirming the development, Alhaji Abdullah Umara, a resident of Rabbah, one of the villages in which insecurity is persistent said the community has not recorded any attack in recent times.

He said the situation may be connected to the recent airstrike in some part of the state which has now resulted in some of the bandits fleeing their hideouts.

“We have not witnessed any attack here for some time now, I believe it has to do with the recent attack in some of the hideouts of the criminals.

“We learnt that some of them were wiped out while some ran out of their camp. Our prayer is for this peaceful living should continue “ he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  BREAKING: NNPC rules out sale of Port Harcourt refinery

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Wike, Military Officers Clash Over Alleged Land Grab In Abuja
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Tinubu brokers French military assistance deal to fight terrorism

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending