Connect with us

News

Nigeria’s Worst Days Are Over, Tinubu’s Reforms Yielding Results – Gbenga Daniel

Published

on

Former Governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, has declared that Nigeria has passed through the most difficult phase of its current socio-economic challenges, expressing confidence that the reforms introduced by President Bola Tinubu are beginning to produce positive outcomes.

It was reports that Daniel made the assertion on Sunday during his family’s 21st Annual Thanksgiving Service held at Abraham’s Tabernacle in Sagamu, Ogun State, where religious leaders, political associates and well-wishers gathered to offer prayers for the nation.

The Senator representing Ogun East Senatorial District acknowledged that the early phase of the reforms came with significant hardship for Nigerians, particularly with rising inflation and economic uncertainty, but insisted that the country is now witnessing gradual improvement.

“First and foremost, we thank God Almighty for His grace,” Daniel said.

“Beyond that, we must also appreciate the President, the Commander-in-Chief, President Bola Tinubu, for providing an enabling environment for people to thrive.”

According to him, although Nigerians experienced severe challenges at the onset of the reforms, recent developments indicate that the economy is slowly stabilising.

“In recent times, we witnessed significant challenges. At the beginning, inflation was quite high, but we are now beginning to hear that the debt profile is gradually coming down,” he stated.

Daniel added that despite the difficulties, there is renewed optimism for the future of the country.

“Despite these difficulties, we remain grateful to God and hopeful that this new year will be an unforgettable one in the annals of our country,” he said.

See also  After Yuletide Break In Lagos, Tinubu Leaves For Europe, Abu Dhabi For Sustainability Week

Reinforcing his optimism, the senator maintained that Nigeria has crossed its lowest point and is now on the path to recovery.

“I have always said that things can only get better. The worst is over. Gradually and steadily, we are seeing positive signs,” Daniel declared.

He said the large turnout of religious leaders at the Thanksgiving service was a sign that the nation was moving in the right direction.

“When you see over 200 clergymen gathered simply to pray for Nigeria, it tells me that we are making progress. I strongly believe this year will be a good one for our nation,” he added.

Reacting to widespread public distrust of politicians, Daniel argued that not all political leaders are dishonest, urging Nigerians to judge him by his track record in public service.

“I have been engaged in public service and leadership for over 23 years. If in those years no one has been able to point out a single lie I have told or anything I said that turned out to be untrue, then Nigerians should judge me accordingly,” he said.

He urged Nigerians not to give in to despair but to remain hopeful, steadfast and prayerful in the face of ongoing challenges.

Hold On To Hope – Adebutu

Also speaking at the event, a former Peoples Democratic Party governorship candidate in Ogun State, Senator Ladi Adebutu, echoed Daniel’s optimism, calling on Nigerians not to lose faith in the country despite the prevailing difficulties.

Describing the current period as delicate, Adebutu said divine intervention would bring about positive change.

See also  Call to scrap LGs in Nigeria, transfer authority to traditional rulers sparks fresh debate

“This is a delicate time for the nation, particularly when things are difficult. But God is a God of grace and mercy, and I believe He will minister unto this nation such that things will get better,” he said.

“We should not lose hope; better days are coming,” Adebutu added.

Earlier in his sermon, the guest preacher, Reverend Wale Oke, who preached from Psalms 50:23, emphasised the power of thanksgiving, urging Christians to cultivate gratitude as a pathway to divine favour.

Reverend Oke, who is also the President of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, said thanksgiving moves the throne of God, noting that biblical figures such as King David enjoyed uncommon blessings because of their consistent praise and gratitude.

According to him, thanksgiving is not only a spiritual duty but a powerful tool for unlocking divine intervention in difficult times.

The Thanksgiving service attracted several eminent personalities from across the country, including Chief Kensington Adebutu, former Nigerian Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Sarafa Tunji Isola, Senator Ladi Adebutu and other political and religious leaders.

The event concluded with prayers for national unity, economic stability and peace, as speakers urged Nigerians to remain hopeful and supportive of efforts aimed at rebuilding the nation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: 82 Militants Lay Down Arms, Embrace Amnesty In Cross Rivers

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Call to scrap LGs in Nigeria, transfer authority to traditional rulers sparks fresh debate
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Rivers and Lagos top states where minors consume sachet alcohol

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Plateau gov presents N914bn budget to Assembly

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending