Connect with us

News

DSS frees Ogun pastor, associates after public outcry

Published

on

Operatives of the Department of State Services have freed an Ogun State-based pastor, Kayode Olawoye, alongside two of his associates who were detained on Monday following public outcry.

Olawoye became an internet sensation following his exposé on the poor state of some roads in Ogun State, which he had repeatedly drawn to the attention of the state government.

A family source close to Olawoye confirmed his release in a telephone conversation with PUNCH Metro on Tuesday.

In an earlier interview with our correspondent, Olawoye’s family had raised concerns over his detention after he was allegedly invited by the DSS.

Speaking with our correspondent earlier on Tuesday, Olawoye’s wife, Shola Olawoye, said her husband received a phone call from the DSS on Sunday evening, asking him to report to its Ogun State office by 2 p.m. on Monday, January 19, 2026.

According to her, the officials described the invitation as a “friendly interrogation visit,” assuring him that it was nothing serious.

She said Olawoye arrived at the DSS office at about 1:30 p.m. on Monday but was held without family members having access to him, adding that several efforts made to reach him proved abortive.

She also noted that two other associates, Benjamin Olaleye and Joshua, who accompanied him to the DSS office, were also detained.

“I have not been able to speak with him since he entered the office. I don’t know his condition—whether he has eaten or even taken water. The people who went with him also had their phones seized, and we have not heard from any of them,” she said.

See also  Benin Republic Govt Provides Fresh Update On Attempted Coup, Says Plotters On Run, Some Arrested

Shola said that while she was at the DSS office to inquire about her husband’s welfare, she was told to leave and return later, with assurances that he would be released after questioning.

She added that she waited until late Monday night and into Tuesday morning without receiving any update on his status, adding that the detention may be linked to his continued advocacy for the improvement of road infrastructure across the state.

She continued, “This is a man who is fighting for grassroots governance. He is not a criminal. He is not fighting or abusing the governor. He is not anti-politics, anti-peace, or protesting. He is simply saying, ‘Our governor should fulfil his campaign promises.’ That is all he is doing, and I don’t understand when being civil became a crime in my state.

“I do not know when being civil and asking for your rights turned into a criminal offence. He has been detained as if he were a criminal. Bandits are on TikTok and everywhere, yet the DSS has not detained any of them.

But they have detained my husband since yesterday. It has been almost 24 hours now, and I have not heard anything from him. I need the help of the whole of Nigeria.”

Another family member, who did not want to be named, explained that Olawoye had been invited on two occasions in the past and had always honoured the invitations.

The family source said this was the third time Olawoye had been invited by the DSS, adding that during previous visits, he was questioned about his public commentary on the condition of roads in Ogun State.

See also  Sacking Of Service Chiefs: ‘This Is Not A Reaction To Any Rumour Of Coups’ – Presidency Clarifies

The source alleged that DSS officials had repeatedly asked whether he was sponsored to publicise poor road infrastructure in the state, an allegation Olawoye denied, maintaining that he had no sponsor.

“The first time he was invited, I was with him at the meeting. They asked who was sponsoring him to showcase the bad roads that Governor Dapo is not fixing. He replied that nobody was sponsoring him and that he was instructed by God to speak out about the bad roads so that the governor would fix them.

“The second time, they asked him the same question again—that he should name the people sponsoring him. He told them nobody was sponsoring him,” the family member said.

The news of his detention, however, sparked public outcry, with social media users condemning the action.

Reacting to the detention, Amnesty International Nigeria, condemned Olawoye’s detention in a statement on Tuesday.

The human rights advocacy group described the detention as unlawful and abuse of human rights.

The statement read, “The Nigerian authorities must end the incessant intimidation and harassment of Pastor Kayode Olawoye — a cleric widely known for advocating for better road infrastructure in Ogun State.

“Subjecting such a peaceful advocate for good governance to bizarre intimidation by the Department Of State Services is unlawful. The advocacy of Pastor Kayode is justified given the shocking and deplorable state of roads in Ogun — his state. Criticizing Gov. Dapo Abiodun is not crime.

“The authorities have an obligation to uphold and protect fundamental human rights. Instead of investing in desperate attempts to punish activists, the government should be listening to them and doing more to addressing people’s concerns.”

See also  We’re increasing intelligence, equipment support for Nigeria — US military

In an update on Tuesday night, the family source told our correspondent that Olawoye and the two associates who were with him had been released.

The source said, “Mr Olawoye and the two associates have been released. They were freed on Tuesday night after more than 24 hours in detention.”

Meanwhile, when contacted on Tuesday, the State Director of the DSS in Ogun State, Peter Afunanya, did not respond to messages sent to his line, nor did he pick calls placed to him as of the time of filing this report.

The governor’s Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Kayode Akinmade, asked our correspondent to call back when contacted on Tuesday.

He was, however, not reachable as of the time of filing this report.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Nigeria to spend N3.6tn on 3rd Mainland Bridge Lagos rehabilitation – Umahi

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  We’re increasing intelligence, equipment support for Nigeria — US military

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Jonathan safe, out of Guinea-Bissau – FG
Continue Reading

Trending