Connect with us

News

CJ declines to probe Fubara, Amaewhule heads to A’Court

Published

on

The Chief Judge of Rivers State, Justice Simeon Amadi, has declined to set up a seven-man panel to investigate allegations of gross misconduct against Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his deputy, Prof. Ngozi Odu, following a request from the State House of Assembly.

Justice Amadi said he was legally restrained from acting on the request due to subsisting interim injunctions issued by a state High Court on January 16, 2026, in separate suits filed by the governor and his deputy.

In a letter dated January 20 and addressed to the Speaker of the House, Martin Amaewhule, the Chief Judge explained that his office had received two separate court orders of interim injunction, which restrain him from receiving, processing, considering, or acting on any impeachment-related request from the Assembly:

“For the avoidance of doubt, paragraph 1 of the said two orders state thus: ‘That an interim injunction is hereby made, restraining the 32nd Defendant, i.e., The Hon. Chief Judge of Rivers State from receiving, forwarding, considering and or howsoever acting on any request, resolution, articles of impeachment or other documents or communication from the 1st-27th and 31st Defendants for the purpose of constituting a panel to investigate the purported allegations of misconduct against the Claimant/Applicant for seven days.’”

He emphasised the supremacy of constitutionalism and the rule of law, noting that all authorities must obey court orders until set aside.

He said he would only act on the requests if the court orders were vacated.

The letter cited the Oyigbo High Court orders, which barred him from receiving, processing, or acting on any impeachment documents, emphasising that similar actions by a Chief Judge in Kwara State had previously been nullified by the Court of Appeal.

See also  It would be ‘great to get a peace deal’ with Iran – Trump

“Our hand is fettered,” Justice Amadi wrote, “as there are subsisting interim orders of injunction and pending appeals. I am therefore legally disabled at this point from exercising my duties under Section 188(5) of the Constitution.”

The Rivers State House of Assembly has been in a protracted battle with Governor Fubara, with the latest being the third attempt to impeach him. The standoff stems from a political rift between Fubara and his estranged godfather, now FCT Minister Nyesom Wike, which began six months into the governor’s tenure in 2023.

Following heightened tensions and threats to oil facilities, President Bola Tinubu imposed six months of emergency rule in the state and appointed Rear Admiral Ibok Ete-Ibas (retd.) as Administrator from March to September 2025.

During its first 2026 plenary, lawmakers demanded that Fubara present the 2026 budget for approval and submit names of Commissioner-nominees for screening. The governor, who currently operates with only eight commissioners, has yet to comply.

Rift is internal affair – PANDEF

Meanwhile, the Pan Niger Delta Forum has described the dispute between Fubara and the state Assembly as an “internal family affair,” noting that both the governor and legislators remain part of Wike’s political fold.

PANDEF Chairman Godknows Igali said conflicts within political families are often more complex than disputes with opponents and emphasized that dialogue remains the preferred path to resolution.

Igali disclosed that PANDEF had inaugurated a seven-member Peace and Reconciliation Committee, led by former AGF Chief Kanu Agabi, to mediate the crisis. The committee has engaged with Governor Fubara, Wike, traditional rulers, the Rivers State Council of Elders, and other stakeholders, and plans to meet with the State House of Assembly and APC leadership.

See also  Health ministry orders immediate retirement of longstanding directors

“The FCT Minister met twice with Chief Agabi, showing his disposition towards peace, and the committee has held a three-hour meeting with the governor in Port Harcourt. All parties are cooperating and have been frank,” Igali said.

He stressed that the committee, which includes experienced figures such as former Senator Obende Domingo, former Minister of Housing Essien Nduese, and retired DSS Director Mike Ejiofor, is expected to submit its report within a week.

Igali urged patience from the public, noting that political agreements often encounter challenges during implementation. He warned against portraying Rivers State as a “sick baby” of the nation, emphasizing its strategic importance as a leading oil-producing state in the South-South region and the broader implications of destabilization for national security.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Court orders FG to close case in Dasuki’s decade-old trial

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Prince Harry, others urge end to development of AI capable of outsmarting humans
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  UPDATED: NCAA stops Fuji star K1 de Ultimate from flying for six months

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  U.S. C-17 Transport Planes Touch Down in Maiduguri to Begin Major Troop Deployment

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending