Connect with us

News

Nigerians self-deport amid Trump’s deadly ICE raids

Published

on

Some Nigerians have gone into hiding and others are returning home secretly over the intensified deportation campaign led by President Donald Trump’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Saturday PUNCH learnt that many immigrants had stopped going to work as Trump reiterated his support for ICE actions.

The sweeping actions, which include house-to-house enforcement raids, have stirred panic, debate and protest, particularly following a series of high-profile deadly incidents involving the federal immigration officers.

The US president kick-started an immigration policy to arrest and remove illegal immigrants immediately after he was inaugurated into office in January 2025,

However, his policy has been met with criticisms by many people in the US and other countries over the cruelty which ICE meted out to immigrants

People who spoke to Saturday PUNCH from the US, said some Nigerians had abandoned places of work and many were secretly returning to their home country.

ICE operations

At least 32 people died in ICE custody in 2025.

Last year is said to be the deadliest in over two decades for deaths in ICE detention.

The Guardian of UK reported that in 2026 alone, no fewer than eight people have died in interactions involving ICE.

The recent cases that have created anxieties were the murders of Renée Good and Alex Pretti.

There was outrage when 37-year-old Good was fatally shot by an ICE agent in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on January 7.

Reports reveal it happened during an enforcement operation, and the medical examiner ruled her death a homicide from multiple gunshot wounds.

Similarly, 37-year-old Pretti was shot and killed by the US federal immigration agents in Minneapolis on January 24, 2026, during a federal enforcement action.

ICE officials, in their operations, have gone from house to house, picking people to detain and deport, enforcing the immigration law of the Trump administration.

Reports say that about 70,000 people have been detained by the ICE officials since the crackdown began, while 540,000 immigrants were deported to their countries.

Immigrant decries raids

A Nigerian woman recently broke into tears in a viral video on Instagram, lamenting the panic and grief of immigrants in the US.

The woman said she was traumatised by the killing of Pretti, an intensive care nurse at Minneapolis VA Medical Center.

See also  Fubara’s men absent at gov’s reunion with Wike

She said ICE agents killed any immigrants, whether they were US citizens or not.

“It is very traumatising the way these (ICE) people are treating immigrants,” she said. “President Trump, if you want the immigrants to leave America, tell us. Just come out and say, ‘All immigrants, we want you out, whether you are criminal or not.’”

“These (ICE) people don’t even care. There are a lot of immigrants who are treated like animals, and these people will be telling them, ‘we are citizens’, but they don’t care,” she added in the post which went viral.

While speaking with Saturday PUNCH, the woman, who asked to be identified as Senior Immigrant, said many Nigerians had resorted to online trading in order to earn a living due to the fear of the immigration agents.

She gave two instances.

Her shopkeeper, who had stopped coming to work since December, and a family for whom people contributed money to start a business after they stopped going to their factory work.

“My girl, who was working with me in my shop, stopped coming in mid-December. The reason was that she was scared for her life because ICE came to my area. The most unfortunate thing was that they came to her area in New Jersey. Since then, she has had anxiety and fear,” she said.

“People are staying indoors because of the fear of ICE. They get family support from those who work. Two weeks ago, someone called me to say that they were donating to support some families, and they requested that I contribute, which I did. That is where people are.

“Many people just stop working because they don’t have the criteria to work. The family I was talking about worked in a factory, and they stopped because of ICE. They started selling stuff from home.

“Another family cooks, and people start to come and pick it up from their house after they would have ordered online. There are many people with other serious experiences.”

Corroborating the senior immigrant’s explanation, the President of the Nigerian community in the State of Maryland, Mrs Chris Ademiluyi, said many immigrants had gone into hiding rather than returning to Nigeria.

See also  PHOTOS: Nigeria Air Force Hails Pilots Who Ejected From Crashed Jet For Bravery

Ademiluyi stated that despite the crackdown, the economic and security realities of Nigeria were not better.

“They are in hiding instead. Nigeria is not any better. Some people affected may want to talk anonymously, but they are not talking because of fear,” Ademiluyi said.

She added that her community supports Nigerian-Amerícans, and they were not mostly affected by the predicament.

Don’t bury yourself before death

Also, the Lead Pastor of the Lighthouse/Rejuvenation Church in Rosenberg Texas, Shola Adeoye, raised the alarm on Facebook that Nigerians were leaving the US.

The pastor said on Tuesday that Trump’s administration was forcing Nigerians to leave.

“Some Nigerians are moving back home due to fear of this administration. It’s not wise to bury yourself before death,” Adeoye said.

The post generated a lot of reactions on social media as Nigerians differed on the topic.

A Facebook user, Ben Ijeh, said, “Whoever that leaves involuntarily by ICE is not psychologically likely to want to come back in the future. The trauma will be too much to bear. God will always make a way for His own.”

“The way ICE agents capture people could be scary; they may not have the opportunity to get themselves together. So (it is) preferred to time their return home when they can control themselves,” Olukunle Durodolu, another Facebook user, said.

Visa ban at home, opportunity restrictions abroad

A non-profit immigration and cultural organisation based in Washington DC, the Nigerian Center, has recorded an influx of people seeking help over the crackdown by ICE.

The Executive Director of the organisation, Mr Gbenga Ogunjimi, said a lot of Nigerians were suffering from the policy.

He noted that his group, with the collaborative efforts of others, had been providing education and awareness to immigrants.

Ogunjimi said, “The problem we are facing is multi-layered. There is a visa ban. So, let’s even zoom out a little bit. Before the visa ban, Nigeria was designated as a Country of Particular Concern. That was last year.

“Early in December 2025, the administration cited a number of factors, including the designation of Nigeria as a Country of Particular Concern, to move Nigeria to a partial ban. He suspended most visa categories as well as non-immigrant visas for folks in Nigeria to come here.”

See also  Minister reveals why FG hasn’t prosecuted terrorism financiers

He said the US government had denied Nigerian immigrants a lot of opportunities.

“What they did not tell those of us in America or Nigerians in America is that the ban will also stop their ability to file for citizenship, green cards, work authorisation, asylum, and things like that.

“So, we did a few things. Firstly, we thought the people should know. So, if you go to our website and social media, we put out a policy memo, educating people on the parameters of this ban.

“And then the second thing we’re doing is educating people on how to navigate this new terrain. We’re just giving information to folks. On the policy side of things, this is coming to us very soon, very rapidly. We’re working on a few items on the policy side of things.”

Saturday PUNCH gathered that many immigrants had started thinking of self-deportation.

The Nigerian Center founder affirmed that many Nigerians were weighing their options of staying back in the US or returning to Nigeria.

“We’ve seen cases where a lot of people are self-deporting right now.

“At the center, I’ve seen people who come in and say things like they just want to know what their options are.

“Some of them asked if they would be able to come back to the US if they leave. I will let them know what the options are, and what the law says about that.

“There was a case that I can think of most recently, where some people would advise them that they should not consider leaving the country right now, just because their situation was not as bad.

“They probably came here on a visiting visa. And maybe they have overstayed for a couple of days, maybe not months or years. And you can file a waiver for those if it’s not up to a particular time. So, it’s probably in your interest. We’ve advised people to do so based on their case.

“Now, do I have numbers of those who have actually gone back, and who have taken the advice? The answer is: I don’t know. I don’t have those numbers.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Iconic actor, Robert Redford dies at 89

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Minister reveals why FG hasn’t prosecuted terrorism financiers
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  PHOTOS: Nigeria Air Force Hails Pilots Who Ejected From Crashed Jet For Bravery

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Oyo unveils plans to digitise street, house numbering

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending