Connect with us

News

EU-Iran Tension Escalates As Tehran Labels European Militaries Terrorists

Published

on

Iran has declared the armies of European countries “terrorist groups” following the European Union’s decision to designate the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terrorist organisation.

The declaration was announced on Sunday by the Speaker of Iran’s Parliament, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Western powers.

During Sunday’s legislative session, Iranian lawmakers wore green uniforms associated with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps in a show of solidarity with the military body.

State television footage showed legislators chanting slogans including “Death to America”, “Death to Israel,” and “Shame on you, Europe”.

Condemning what he described as Europe’s “irresponsible action”, Ghalibaf said Iran’s response was based on existing legislation.

“Under Article 7 of the Law on Countermeasures Against the Declaration of the IRGC as a Terrorist Organisation, the armies of European countries are considered terrorist groups,” he said.

However, it remained unclear what immediate practical consequences the declaration would have.

The law cited by Ghalibaf was originally passed in 2019 after the United States classified the Guards as a terrorist organisation.

Sunday’s parliamentary session coincided with the 47th anniversary of the return from exile of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Republic, who led Iran’s 1979 revolution.

The Revolutionary Guards serve as the ideological arm of Iran’s military and are tasked with protecting the Islamic system from internal and external threats.

Western governments have accused the Guards of orchestrating a violent crackdown on recent protests in Iran that reportedly left thousands dead.

Tehran, however, has blamed the unrest on what it called “terrorist acts” incited by the United States and Israel.

See also  Nigeria's domestic debt service hits N1.7trn Q2 2025

The European Union agreed on Thursday to list the IRGC as a terrorist organisation over its response to the protests, aligning its position with similar classifications by the United States, Canada and Australia.

Ghalibaf accused Europe of acting at the behest of Washington and Israel.

“The decision, which was carried out in compliance with the orders of the American president and the leaders of the Zionist regime, accelerated Europe’s path to becoming irrelevant in the future world order,” he said.

He added that the move had only strengthened domestic support for the Guards within Iran.

The parliamentary session came amid renewed exchanges of warnings between Iran and the United States over the possibility of military confrontation.

Following Iran’s response to the protests, US President Donald Trump threatened intervention and ordered the deployment of an aircraft carrier group to the region.

In recent days, however, both sides have signalled a willingness to pursue dialogue.

Ali Larijani, head of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, said on Saturday that negotiations were progressing behind the scenes.

“Contrary to the hype of the contrived media war, structural arrangements for negotiations are progressing,” Larijani said.

Trump later confirmed that talks were ongoing but maintained his earlier warning.

“Iran is talking to us, and we’ll see if we can do something, otherwise we’ll see what happens… we have a big fleet heading out there,” he told Fox News.

Trump has previously said he believes Iran would prefer to strike a deal on its nuclear and missile programmes rather than face US military action.

See also  Trump Again Criticises Tinubu’s Govt For Not Ending Killings

Iran Sets Conditions For Nuclear Talks
Tehran has stated it is open to nuclear negotiations, provided its missile and defence capabilities are excluded from the agenda.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that conflict would benefit no one.

“A war would be in the interest of neither Iran, nor the United States, nor the region,” Pezeshkian said during a phone call with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, according to his office.

Qatar’s Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, also held talks in Iran on Saturday as part of efforts to de-escalate tensions, Qatar’s foreign ministry said.

Amid the escalating rhetoric, ordinary Iranians expressed concern about the possibility of conflict.

Firouzeh, a 43-year-old homemaker who declined to give her full name, said the tensions had left her deeply anxious.

“Lately, all I do is watch the news until I fall asleep. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to check the updates,” she said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Trump Again Criticises Tinubu’s Govt For Not Ending Killings

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Igbo Community in Osun Storms Streets for Egungun Festival

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Christian genocide: PFN, Islamic council in verbal crossfire
Continue Reading

Trending