Connect with us

News

Alleged UK property fraud: Ozekhome faces 12 fresh charges

Published

on

The Federal Government of Nigeria has filed a fresh 12-count charge against Chief Mike Ozekhome and Ponfa Useni, also known as Tali Shani, before the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, over alleged conspiracy, forgery, impersonation and unlawful control of a property in the United Kingdom.

In the charge instituted by the Federal Ministry of Justice on behalf of the Federal Government on Tuesday, the prosecution accused the defendants of forging a Nigerian International Passport and other documents to support a claim to a property located at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2.

The late former Federal Capital Territory Minister, Gen Jeremiah Useni, was named in several counts as a co-conspirator.

According to the charge, the defendants allegedly conspired in 2020 in Abuja to procure a false Nigerian International Passport No. A07535463 in the name “Tali Shani,” purportedly issued by the Nigerian Immigration Service.

The prosecution alleged that they intended to use the document to support their claim to the London property.

In Counts 1 and 2, the government alleged that the defendants agreed to commit an illegal act by forging the passport and subsequently making the false document between May 30, 2020 and 2021, contrary to Sections 96 and 363 of the Penal Code Law 2009 and punishable under Section 364.

Count 3 accused them of conspiring in 2022 to use the alleged forged passport as genuine to facilitate their claim to the property, while Count 4 alleged that they dishonestly used the passport as genuine between 2023 and 2025.

Counts 5 and 7 specifically accused Useni of false personation and cheating by personation.

See also  NSIB - Six injured in Abuja–Kaduna train derailment (PHOTOS)

The prosecution alleged that on or about May 30, 2020, Useni falsely presented himself as “Tali Shani,” described as a fictitious person, and executed an irrevocable Power of Attorney in that name in connection with the property claim.

In Counts 6 and 8, Ozekhome was accused of abetting the offences of impersonation and cheating by personation by jointly executing the irrevocable Power of Attorney dated May 30, 2020, with the alleged fictitious person to facilitate the property claim.

Count 9 alleged that Ozekhome, sometime in 2022 in Abuja, had under his control the property at No. 79 Randall Avenue, London, which investigators reasonably suspected was unlawfully obtained by the late General Useni using the fictitious name.

Count 10 further alleged that Ozekhome had under his control £18,000, said to be part of rent accrued from the London property, which investigators reasonably suspected was unlawfully obtained.

In Counts 11 and 12, the prosecution alleged that the defendants conspired in 2023 to forge a document titled “Re: Request for Authentication of Nigerian Passport No. A07535463 Belonging to Mr Tali Shani,” dated May 4, 2023, and falsely presented it as having been issued by the Nigeria Immigration Service to support their claim.

The offences were said to contravene various provisions of the Penal Code Law 2009, including Sections 83, 84, 96, 179, 319A, 321, 322, 363, 364 and 366.

The charge was signed by the Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation, Rotimi Oyedepo and the Chief State Counsel, A.R. Tahir, on behalf of the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice.

See also  Niger gov mourns as 35 killed in tanker explosion

In an affidavit of completion of investigation deposed to by a litigation officer in the Federal Ministry of Justice, the prosecution stated that the investigation into the matter had substantially concluded and that a prima facie case had been established against the defendants.

Ozekhome and the second defendant, Ponfa Useni, are currently in the custody of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.

The FCT High Court is expected to fix a date for their arraignment.

Earlier on Tuesday, the Office of the AGF had withdrawn the three charges filed against Ozekhome.

Oyedepo had informed Justice Peter Kekemeke that the AGF had decided to take a holistic review of the case to determine the most appropriate course of action.

Following the application, which was not opposed by Ozekhome’s defence team led by Paul Erokoro, the court struck out the three charges.

On January 29, 2026, Oyedepo notified the court of the AGF’s decision to take over the prosecution from the ICPC, pursuant to Section 174 of the Constitution, which empowers the AGF to institute, take over, or discontinue criminal proceedings.

“The Attorney General was guided by public interest considerations and the need to instil confidence, fairness, and competence in the criminal justice system,” Oyedepo stated.

He added that inter-agency cooperation in combating corruption was also a factor in the takeover.

The DPPF assured the court that the rights of the defendant would be protected and that no party would suffer injustice during the review.

Justice Kekemeke granted the application and struck out the charge.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Tinubu receives outgoing ECOWAS commission president

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Inside details of arms, ammunition, cars recovered from suspected coup plotters
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Pope warns of regional spillover from Israel-Iran war

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending