Connect with us

News

ICPC lists documents, devices seized from El-Rufai ‘s Abuja home

Published

on

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission on Monday disclosed details of documents and electronic devices allegedly recovered from the Abuja residence of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

The anti-graft agency made the disclosures in court filings before the Federal Capital Territory High Court, opposing a N1bn fundamental rights enforcement suit filed by the former governor.

El-Rufai had challenged what he described as his illegal arrest, detention, and the search of his residence last month.

In the court filings, the ICPC urged the court to dismiss the suit, insisting its operatives acted under a valid search warrant issued on February 18 and executed on February 19 between 1:37pm and 3:56pm at 12 Mambilla Street, Asokoro, Abuja.

The commission said its officials were accompanied by personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, and that the exercise was witnessed by El-Rufai’s wife, Hadiza El-Rufai, and his son, Mohammed El-Rufai.

Items allegedly recovered included investor account statements, asset declaration forms, certificates of registration for business entities, corporate compliance records, client Know-Your-Customer files, documents linked to the African Democratic Congress welfare secretary, records of domestic and foreign loans approved by the Kaduna State House of Assembly from 2015 to 2023, and interim investigation reports involving El-Rufai and associates.

Other materials reportedly seized included Ecobank Nigeria Plc share certificates, land documents, student financial services papers, valuation reports, deeds of assignment, irrevocable Powers of Attorney for multiple properties, Afri-Venture Capital Company documents, payment mandates, and media/publicity materials from the Office of the ex-governor.

See also  Retired Police Officer With Spinal Cord Injury Battles For Life On N47,000 Pension After Selling His Only House, No Support From Force

Electronic devices recovered reportedly included nine flash drives, one memory card, seven hard drives, multiple laptops including Apple MacBook Pro and Elumac Book Pro models, mobile phones including Blackberry, Nokia N95, Toshiba, Samsung IDEOS, Google IDEOS, 18 other devices, and a Remarkable tablet with chargers.

The commission said all items were documented and sealed for forensic analysis.

The ICPC stated that a detailed Device Documentation Form captured serial numbers, types, storage details, and accessories of the gadgets, and that the operation was witnessed by Hadiza El-Rufai, Mohammed El-Rufai, Ajibade Abiodun, and Asjuquo J.E.

The commission acknowledged that El-Rufai noted in the documentation that he did not grant consent for access to any of the devices found in his home.

The ICPC said the materials would undergo forensic examination as part of ongoing investigations into alleged corruption and asset concealment.

Reacting in a statement on Monday, El-Rufai’s family accused the commission of attempting to criminalise his silence during interrogation.

In a statement signed by his son, Bello El-Rufai, a member of the House of Representatives, the former governor said, “Charge me, if you have anything against me. You have had more than 2 years to investigate me. Take me to court, please.”

The family maintained that his silence was an exercise of his constitutional right, not evidence of guilt, and described attempts to draw adverse inferences as reflecting an “inquisitorial mindset” by the commission.

They also disputed the scope of items recovered, insisting only personal effects were taken.

“We were present when these items were seized. No equipment other than old discarded personal mobile phones… storage devices like flash drives and laptops… were seized from the property,” the statement read.

See also  US court upholds Trump administration’s $100,000 visa fee for tech workers

The family further alleged that the search warrant was invalid and fraudulently procured, adding, “Our lawyers have challenged this illegitimate warrant in a court of competent jurisdiction.”

Since leaving office in 2023, El-Rufai has faced multiple probes. In 2024, the Kaduna State House of Assembly called for an investigation into the alleged diversion of N423 billion during his administration.

He was previously arrested by the State Security Service and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, and remains in ICPC custody, with his detention reportedly stalling his arraignment on separate phone-tapping charges.

The ICPC maintained that its actions were lawful and in line with its statutory mandate to investigate corruption and related offences.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Every Nigerian should learn combat skills for self-defence – CDS Gen Musa

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Boko Haram Has Become Part Of Nigerians’ Life – Obasanjo
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Retired Police Officer With Spinal Cord Injury Battles For Life On N47,000 Pension After Selling His Only House, No Support From Force

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending