Connect with us

News

Oluwo of Iwo: Nigerians may demand constitutional amendment for Tinubu to exceed two terms

Published

on

Abdulrosheed Akanbi, the Oluwo of Iwo, says many Nigerians may call for a constitutional amendment to allow President Bola Tinubu to remain in office beyond the two-term limit.

Akanbi spoke in a congratulatory message issued to mark Tinubu’s 74th birthday.

The statement was released by Ibrahim Alli, spokesperson to the monarch.

The traditional ruler described the president as a decisive leader who has laid the foundation of hope for the country.

“Many Nigerians may call for a constitutional review to enable Tinubu to serve more than two terms in office. He is a leader who knows what he is doing,” Akanbi said.

The monarch said the president has demonstrated strong leadership through reforms aimed at addressing economic challenges.

Akanbi said Tinubu’s campaign against illegalities has helped tackle issues that had previously slowed Nigeria’s economic growth.

He said the administration’s policies have contributed to improvements in economic indicators, citing what he described as improvements in the naira and a rise in Nigeria’s foreign reserves.

The Oluwo said the country’s foreign reserve increased from about $1 billion to between $49.5 billion and $50.45 billion as of late February and March 2026.

The traditional ruler attributed the gains to structural reforms introduced by the administration.

He listed exchange rate unification, increased oil production, and rising foreign investment inflows among the factors.

Akanbi also commended Tinubu for granting autonomy to local governments, noting that the policy has increased allocations to states and strengthened grassroots governance.

The monarch also praised the administration’s infrastructure initiatives, citing ongoing projects, including the Lagos-Calabar coastal road and the Sokoto-Badagry road.

See also  A lot has changed in Abuja under Tinubu’s administration – Wike

Akanbi said the president has shown courage in implementing difficult policies.

“You are not yet a capable leader until you take decisions and stand by them,” he said.

“Many past presidents attempted to remove obstacles to economic prosperity but were overrun by public outcries.

“Tinubu has demonstrated uncommon leadership through reforms. Nigeria’s foreign reserves have increased to over $49.5bn from about $1bn.

“Local government autonomy is taking effect, states earn more, and road projects, including the Lagos-Calabar Coastal Road and the Sokoto-Badagry Road, are ongoing.”

The traditional rules said the president’s policies are beginning to improve living standards, adding that the next phase would focus on achieving economic stability.

Tinubu marked his 74th birthday on Sunday with a low-key celebration and prayers at the National Mosque in Abuja.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Falana faults three-year jail term for man who stole yam

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Again, fire guts another Kano market
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Tariff war; FG intervenes as states, Discos’ rift deepens

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending