Connect with us

News

Xenophobia: 130 Nigerians sign up for South Africa evacuation

Published

on

At least 130 Nigerians have already registered for voluntary evacuation flights from South Africa as Nigeria moves to safeguard its citizens amid rising tensions linked to anti-foreigner protests in the country.

The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, in a situation report via her X handle on Sunday, said the evacuation arrangement is part of broader diplomatic and security measures being coordinated with Nigerian missions in South Africa.

The minister explained that the evacuation plan follows directives from President Bola Tinubu, who ordered heightened monitoring of the situation and stronger protection for Nigerians abroad.

“The President has reiterated that the priority at this time remains the safety of our citizens,” she said, adding that “arrangements are currently underway to collate details of Nigerians in South Africa for voluntary repatriation flights for those seeking assistance to return home.”

Odumegwu-Ojukwu said, “So far, 130 applicants have duly registered for the exercise with our mission,” noting that the number is expected to increase as more citizens seek assistance to return home.

Odumegwu-Ojukwu also confirmed that the ministry had summoned South Africa’s Acting High Commissioner over the unrest, while diplomatic engagements continue with authorities in South Africa.

The development comes amid renewed anti-immigrant demonstrations in cities including Pretoria and Johannesburg, which Nigerian authorities say have heightened concern for the safety of their nationals.

“There is heightened anxiety over the series of anti-foreigner protests, also targeted at Nigerians in select cities in the Republic of South Africa in recent weeks,” the minister said.

See also  Chieftaincy Title: ’48 Hours My Foot, Ooni Will Not Respond To Alaafin’s Empty Threat’ – Palace Aide

She added that the President had “expressed grave concern on the situation following a briefing, and has called for more effective control of the situation by relevant host security services.”

Odumegwu-Ojukwu noted that while South African authorities, including President Cyril Ramaphosa and senior security officials, had condemned violence, disturbing images circulating online had fuelled international concern.

“The images pervading both mainstream and social media depicting violence, carnage and targeted xenophobic killings of foreign nationals and demonstrations characterised by xenophobic rhetoric, hate speeches and incendiary anti-migrant statements by the arrowheads of such rallies, have generated worldwide condemnation,” she stated.

According to her, protests held between April 27 and 29, 2026, were largely peaceful but still required heavy police deployment in the affected cities.

“The protests spearheaded by a local anti-migration movement, in Pretoria and Johannesburg, between 27 – 29 April 2026, witnessed a largely peaceful procession, under the presence of heavily armed police who occasionally sprayed teargas to deter the protesters from engaging in violent activity.

“There is no recorded killing of any Nigerian or destruction of Nigerian-owned properties during this particular protest,” the minister explained.

However, Odumegwu-Ojukwu confirmed two separate deaths involving Nigerians, both allegedly linked to interactions with security personnel.

“Amamiro Chidiebere Emmanuel died on 25th of April 2026 as a result of injuries sustained from brutal beatings by military personnel of the South African National Defence Force on 20th April 2026 in Port Elizabeth,” she said, referring to the South African National Defence Force.

She further disclosed that “Nnaemeka Matthew Andrew also died following an alleged interaction with members of the Tshwane Metro Police, and his body was discovered at the Pretoria Central Mortuary on 20th April 2026.”

See also  Wike-backed PDP fumes over Makinde-ADC alliance plans ahead of 2027 alignment

Describing both incidents as unacceptable, Odumegwu-Ojukwu said, “This is utterly condemnable and unacceptable. The Nigerian High Commission is closely following investigations into these unfortunate incidents, and Nigeria demands justice be done in these cases.”

The minister added that another wave of demonstrations is expected between May 4 and 8, 2026, prompting further security and diplomatic coordination between both countries.

She stressed that Nigerian diplomatic missions are working closely with South African authorities to ensure the protection of citizens while evacuation preparations continue.

The minister further stated, “Nigeria is a frontline state which made great sacrifices towards the liberation struggles of South Africa, a fact which needs to be distilled down to the younger generation in South Africa.

“Nigerian lives and businesses in SA must not continue to be put at risk, and we remain committed to working with South Africa to explore ways to put an end to this xenophobic pattern.

“It has become a repetitive wave, most especially before elections in South Africa, and anti-foreigner opposition parties leverage this situation to garner votes.

“Nigeria recently signed a memorandum of understanding with South Africa on early warning to protect citizens of both countries, especially in times such as these.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Enough Of Blaming It On His Support For Tinubu – Isbae U Defends Ogogo Amid Cancer Battle

Published

on

Content creator, Isbae U, has come to the defence of veteran Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, after some Nigerians criticized the actor for his political support for President Bola Tinubu amid his battle with cancer.

It was reports that Ogogo is currently undergoing treatment for stage-four cancer, a development that was recently made public by members of his family.

The news has raised concern among fans, colleagues, and others in the Nigerian entertainment industry.

However, the actor’s health condition also became part of an online political argument after some social media users attempted to connect his illness with his decision to support Tinubu.

The controversy grew after comedian MC Lively shared an old video in which Ogogo publicly declared his support for Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election.

MC Lively later deleted the post after criticism from social media users.

Isbae U reacted to the controversy by asking people to stop using Ogogo’s illness to attack him over his political views.

He called on those who did not have useful information or assistance for the actor to refrain from turning his condition into a political discussion.

The content creator said Ogogo’s political decision should not be used as a reason to mock or blame him while he is dealing with a serious illness.

He wrote on 𝕏: “Ogogo has stage 4 cancer, if you don’t have any necessary information that can help him, then please just pray for him …. Enough of blaming it on him supporting Tinubu, Legend or Not, A human like us is fighting for his life for God sake.”

See also  Investigation uncovers Col who plotted Tinubu’s ouster

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

SEE FULL LIST: Nigeria, 74 others spared as US judge strikes down visa ban

Published

on

A US judge on Friday struck down a Trump administration policy suspending the issuance of immigrant visas to applicants from 75 countries, ruling that the policy exceeded Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s statutory authority.

US District Judge Jeannette Vargas in Manhattan said the policy, announced by the State Department in January, was “patently unlawful” and ran afoul of federal immigration law, which explicitly stripped the secretary of state of authority over consular officers’ processing of immigrant visas.

“The Policy, which categorically ⁠prohibits the issuance of immigrant visas based upon the nationality of the applicant, represents a direct abrogation of this statutory scheme,” she wrote, Reuters reported Saturday.

US President Donald Trump.
US President Donald Trump. Photo: AFP

The State Department’s suspension, which also took effect in January, affected applicants from Latin American countries including Brazil, Colombia and Uruguay; Balkan nations such as Bosnia and Albania; South Asian countries including Pakistan and Bangladesh; and many nations across Africa, the Middle East and the Caribbean.

The State Department said applicants from the affected countries were “at a ‌high ⁠risk for becoming a public charge and recourse to local, state and federal government resources in the United States.”

The department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the ruling.

Vargas, an appointee of former Democratic President Joe Biden, issued the ruling in a lawsuit filed by immigrant rights groups Catholic Legal Immigration Network and African Communities Together, along with immigrant-visa applicants and U.S. citizens sponsoring family members from the designated countries.

President Donald Trump has pursued an aggressive immigration crackdown that he says is aimed at improving domestic security.

See also  Resident doctors threaten to resume strike

Rights groups say the crackdown has violated free speech and due process rights and created an unsafe environment, particularly for ethnic minorities, who have raised concerns about racial profiling.

A check from National Law Immigration Center listed the country below.

What Are the 75 Countries Listed in the Ban?

In alphabetical order, they are: Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Burma, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Colombia, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, The Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Haiti, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Kyrgyz Republic, Laos, Lebanon, Liberia, Libya, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, North Macedonia, Pakistan, Republic of the Congo, Russia, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, and Yemen.

Why These 75 Countries?

Without citing any facts, the Trump administration claims that people from these countries are more likely than others to “extract wealth” or “take welfare and public benefits” from the United States. The pattern is hard to miss: every single one of the 75 countries listed are in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, and Eastern Europe, countries with populations that are mostly nonwhite or that include significant ethnic minorities.

Are Immigrants Even Eligible to Receive Public Benefits?

Many immigrants are not eligible for various forms of government assistance until years after they arrive, or until they become U.S. Citizens. Immigrants may be able to receive services in some states, and Congress decided that all residents should be able to receive certain emergency services and access to critical public programs. Many immigrants do not enroll in government benefits even when they are eligible. Immigrants pay state, local, and federal taxes that help fund the services used by all U.S. residents, including U.S. citizens. Their work and spending helps the U.S. economy grow.

See also  Investigation uncovers Col who plotted Tinubu’s ouster

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

They Can’t Ignore Presidential Order – EFCC Unfreezes Osun Government Accounts

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has lifted the restriction on the Osun State Government’s bank accounts following an order by President Bola Tinubu.

It was reports that the accounts, held by First Bank of Nigeria and Zenith Bank, were frozen earlier in August as part of an investigation into the alleged misuse of public funds in the state.

Checks by Saturday Punch showed that the accounts had resumed normal operations.

The EFCC issued a Post No Debit instruction on the accounts on August 5.

The commission said the action was connected to an investigation that began in March 2026 over the alleged handling of about ₦11bn in Ecology Funds, Intervention Funds and allocations received from the Federation Account Allocation Committee.

The matter later drew the attention of President Tinubu, who ordered the commission to remove the restriction.

The President had described the EFCC action as embarrassing and called for the state accounts to be reopened.

Following his victory in the election, Adeleke also instructed the state Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Oluwole Jimi-Bada, SAN, to withdraw the legal action filed against the EFCC over the restriction on the accounts.

Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Temitope Ajayi, confirmed that the restriction had been removed.

According to him, the EFCC acted on the President’s directive and the accounts were reopened immediately.

“The lien has been lifted. EFCC cannot ignore the presidential order. I can confirm to you that it was done immediately.

See also  Chieftaincy Title: ’48 Hours My Foot, Ooni Will Not Respond To Alaafin’s Empty Threat’ – Palace Aide

“If it was not lifted, the Osun State Government would have made it a campaign issue. The fact that they are not talking about it shows it has been done,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending