Connect with us

News

Rights groups urge SERAP to obey judgment in DSS officers defamation suit

Published

on

The Committee for the Defence of Human Rights has called on the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project to comply with the judgment of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in the defamation suit filed by two operatives of the Department of State Services.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the group said respect for court judgments remained essential to the preservation of democracy and the rule of law.

The statement was jointly signed by CDHR President and Secretary of the Board of Trustees, Debo Adeniran, and the group’s National Publicity Secretary, Jeremiah Onyibe.

CDHR stated that although advocacy groups and citizens have constitutional rights to freedom of expression and public criticism, such freedoms must be exercised responsibly and within the limits of the law.

According to the organisation, the court, after considering the evidence presented before it, concluded that the publication against the DSS operatives was defamatory and damaging to their professional reputation.

The group urged SERAP to comply with all lawful directives contained in the judgment pending the outcome of any appeal process.

“The rule of law remains the foundation of every democratic society. Human rights advocacy must coexist with accountability, fairness, and respect for due process,” the statement read.

CDHR also cautioned against statements or narratives capable of undermining judicial authority or deepening public distrust in state institutions without credible evidence.

The organisation further stressed that while security agencies should remain open to lawful scrutiny, no organisation or individual is above the law.

See also  Health workers’ strike grounds hospitals

Meanwhile, the Centre Against Injustice and Domestic Violence also criticised SERAP over its reaction to the court judgment, accusing the organisation of attempting to ridicule the decision of the court.

In a separate statement signed by its Executive Director, Gbenga Soloki, CAIDOV alleged that SERAP continued to maintain on its X handle claims that DSS operatives invaded its Abuja office on September 9, 2024, despite what the group described as a misrepresentation of facts.

Soloki noted, “We in the human rights community should lead by example. We should not be seen as the very persons breaching human rights in the name of free speech.

“Human rights is universal. It is for everybody. We should not trample on the rights of others simply because they chose to be security agents.”

CAIDOV argued that the N100m damages awarded against SERAP for defamation should not be considered excessive, citing sanctions imposed on international firms over misconduct.

“Very big corporations around the world have at one time or the other been caught lying or cheating.

“Just last year, Deloitte, PwC and EY Netherlands were fined $8.5 million for cheating, while KPMG Netherlands was fined $25 million in 2024 for widespread cheating on training exams. What then is the big deal in a Nigerian court imposing a N100 million fine on SERAP for defamation?” the statement questioned.

The organisation added that it was ironic for SERAP, which had frequently relied on the courts to hold public institutions accountable, to question the judiciary because the verdict did not favour it.

See also  Oluremi Tinubu hails Wike for transforming Abuja City gate

The DSS had earlier clarified that the defamation suit was instituted by the two operatives in their personal capacity and not by the agency itself.

In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Deputy Director of Public Relations and Strategic Communications at DSS Headquarters, Favour Dozie, the Service said the officers sued SERAP after alleging that the organisation falsely accused them of invading its Abuja office and harassing staff on September 9, 2024.

The DSS said it conducted an internal investigation into the allegations before approving the officers to seek legal redress personally.

The FCT High Court subsequently ruled in favour of the operatives, awarding N100m damages against SERAP and directing the organisation to publish public apologies on its website, in The PUNCH and Vanguard newspapers, as well as on Arise Television and Channels Television.

The court also ordered that the damages would attract a 10 per cent annual interest from May 5, 2026, until full payment.

SERAP, however, rejected the judgment, describing it as flawed and announcing plans to challenge the ruling at the Court of Appeal.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Health workers’ strike grounds hospitals

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Oluremi Tinubu hails Wike for transforming Abuja City gate
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  I don’t bear grudges against people, Jonathan preaches forgiveness

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending