Connect with us

Politics

NDC clears Peter Obi for presidential primary

Published

on

Former Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has been cleared to contest in the presidential primary of the Nigeria Democratic Congress ahead of the 2027 general election.

Chairman of the NDC National Screening Committee, Sam Egwu, announced Obi’s clearance in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.

The screening exercise was conducted in Abuja on Tuesday.

Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.

“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.

Reacting via his official X account on Wednesday, Obi said the screening lasted more than two and a half hours, during which members of the committee examined his credentials and questioned him on his vision for Nigeria.

“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.

See also  Nigerians, not INEC, will determine ADC’s fate — Party’s founding chairman, Ralph Nwosu

“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.

“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he said.

Obi also commended the screening committee and the party leadership for what he described as a credible and transparent process.

“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.

The development comes amid ongoing political realignments ahead of the 2027 general election, with opposition parties intensifying consultations and preparations for party primaries and coalition talks.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Tinubu doesn’t fully trust me because I supported Peter Obi — Cubana Chief Priest

Published

on

Socialite and businessman Pascal Okechukwu, popularly known as Cubana Chief Priest, has said President Bola Tinubu remains wary of him because of his support for Peter Obi during the 2023 presidential election.

Cubana Chief Priest, who serves as the Imo State Coordinator of the Pro-Tinubu City Boys Movement, stated this during a livestream with popular streamer Peller.

Speaking in a video circulating on Wednesday, the socialite discussed what he described as lingering suspicion from the presidency tied to his ethnic background and previous political alignment.

“President Bola Tinubu no really trust me as an Igbo man that I am. He look me with one eye because he believes that this one that worked for Peter Obi, before at the last election,” Chief Priest stated.

He explained his decision to switch allegiance to Tinubu, citing a desire to back a winning side and avoid repeated political losses.

Asked why he left Peter Obi, he said, “Because I don’t want to lose again because they say first fool no be fool na the second fool be proper fool.”

Chief Priest further dismissed the prospects of Obi in the 2027 presidential election, describing the Nigeria Democratic Party aspirant as “not serious” and asserting that “the serious people will win.”

The comments, which quickly circulated on social media, sparked widespread reactions, with many criticising Chief Priest for alleged political opportunism and questioning his loyalty to the Igbo cause.

Others, however, viewed his remarks as a pragmatic reflection of Nigeria’s winner-takes-all political landscape.

Chief Priest was notably vocal in support of Obi and the Labour Party ahead of the 2023 polls.

See also  Osun 2026: INEC urges parties to conduct lawful, transparent primaries

He has since aligned with the ruling All Progressives Congress and Tinubu.

He recently purchased an APC primary form for a House of Representatives seat but pulled out on the morning of the election on Saturday.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Politics

Otti-Abure truce crumbles amid Labour Party crisis

Published

on

Factional National Chairman of the Labour Party, Julius Abure, has dismissed speculations that reconciliation talks between his camp and Abia State Governor, Dr Alex Otti, collapsed over alleged financial demands, insisting that money was never discussed during the closed-door meeting.

Abure disclosed this in an interview with The PUNCH amid a lingering leadership crisis rocking the opposition party.

The development comes barely one month after Otti declared that the Labour Party remained open to reconciliation with Abure and his loyalists ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The Abia governor had made the remark during the inaugural meeting of the party’s National Working Committee held at the party’s national headquarters in Abuja, where he attended as an observer.

But speaking with our correspondent, Abure clarified that the recent engagement with Otti was strictly convened to explore reconciliation and chart a path toward unity within the party, but eventually ended in a deadlock over disagreements surrounding the control and structure of the party.

According to him, the talks failed because Otti allegedly insisted that the existing party structure be dissolved before any reconciliation could move forward.

He said, “We need to make it categorically clear that the meeting we had with Governor Otti was purely for reconciliation and how to forge ahead. But that meeting produced no headway because the governor refused to give an inch due to his earlier recalcitrant stand.

“First, to share the positions in the NWC. Secondly, to take his governorship ticket and produce all the state House of Assembly candidates, including all the candidates for House of Representatives and Senate in Abia state.

“Lastly, to produce any other governorship, House of Representatives and senatorial candidates in other states where he might have an interest.

See also  ADC, APC trade words over alleged violence in Ekiti

“We further conceded the offices of the National Secretary and other key national offices. But with all these sacrifices from the leadership, the governor declined all the proposals and insisted that all positions in the NWC have already been filled by him, while offering us the Vice Chairman and Secretary of the Board of Trustees.”

Abure also rejected allegations that he demanded financial inducement from the governor as part of the reconciliation process, describing the claims as false and deliberate misinformation.

“We also need to make it very clear that a lot of misconceptions have been spreading, probably deliberately, that the leadership of the Labour Party requested huge sums of money from Abia State governor, Dr Alex Otti, to reconcile.

“At no time was the issue of money discussed. Nobody made any financial requests, and nobody offered any money to anyone. We are therefore calling on all party members and supporters to disregard the fake news, whose sources are not too difficult to decipher,” he clarified.

The factional chairman expressed disappointment over the outcome of the reconciliation effort, blaming what he described as Otti’s intransigence for the collapse of the talks.

Abure further stated that his leadership would continue efforts to “recover the party” from what he termed “political buccaneers and merchants” allegedly bent on destabilising the Labour Party.

He also expressed confidence that the lingering leadership dispute would eventually be resolved by the Supreme Court following the appeal filed at the apex court.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Court adjourns ADC leadership suit indefinitely

Continue Reading

Politics

ADC predicts “earthquake” as Turaki PDP clears Jonathan ahead of 2027

Published

on

The Tanimu Turaki (SAN)-led interim factional National Working Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party, on Tuesday, screened 12 governorship aspirants ahead of the 2027 elections, while granting automatic clearance to former President Goodluck Jonathan as the party’s sole presidential aspirant.

Chairman of the PDP INWC screening committee and former Vice President, Namadi Sambo, represented by former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu, made the disclosure while answering questions from journalists after the screening exercise in Abuja on Tuesday.

Reacting, the African Democratic Congress, said Jonathan’s joining the presidential race will alter the country’s political calculations and trigger fresh strategic thinking across party lines.

Jonathan, who served as President between 2010 and 2015, was reportedly granted a waiver on Tuesday by a PDP screening panel headed by Aliyu, paving the way for a possible return to the presidential race.

Though the development is yet to receive formal confirmation from the national leadership of the PDP, it has already generated intense debate within political circles, with analysts suggesting that Jonathan’s re-emergence could reshape alignments ahead of the next general election.

Earlier, a former presidential aide and chieftain of the PDP, Umar Sani, alleged that Jonathan had already obtained a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Sani, who served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice President Sambo, made the assertion during an appearance on Trust TV on Tuesday.

His comments come amid renewed political consultations involving Jonathan across various political blocs, sparking fresh speculation that the former president may be considering a return to active politics nearly 12 years after leaving office.

Although Jonathan has yet to officially declare his ambition or reveal the platform under which he may contest, Sani hinted that the lingering internal crisis within the PDP may be responsible for the former president’s cautious posture.

He also rejected claims that the party was merely attempting to exploit Jonathan’s popularity for political advantage.

Sani stated, “The issue is not about whether we will extract commitment from him. What is most important in politics is action.

“If your action suggests you are interested, there are certain actions to follow. One of which is the procurement of the nomination form.

See also  ADC, APC trade words over alleged violence in Ekiti

“He has procured the nomination form. In fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly. So it is not an issue of whether we are trying to bring or use him for our face-saving grace, whatever. No.

“The fact of the matter is that we believe that Jonathan is the right choice at this moment. We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” Sani said.

According to him, only the Supreme Court could overturn earlier decisions on Jonathan’s eligibility, insisting that the pending matter before Justice Peter Lifu would likely be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction when it comes up on May 26.

The PDP chieftain also dismissed claims that Jonathan’s supporters were merely exploiting his name for political relevance, insisting that many Nigerians remained emotionally attached to the former president due to memories of his administration.

“Most Nigerians know him and are nostalgic about Jonathan. At the time he left office, many people felt the PDP was not performing, but now Nigerians have seen the difference clearly,” he added.

The chairman of the screening committee explained that the party had granted a screening waiver to a presidential aspirant due to his extensive political background, effectively clearing Jonathan as the PDP’s candidate.

He also noted that a similar waiver was given to former Oyo State Deputy Governor, Taofeek Arapaja, adding that while other aspirants were still being screened, Jonathan remained the only confirmed presidential aspirant of the party.

He stated, “The party had already given a presidential aspirant a waiver from screening. As I said in the beginning, he was deputy governor, became governor, became vice president, and became president, so we did not see anything that required screening.

“Therefore, the party granted him a waiver. In other words, he has been declared and cleared as the PDP candidate for the presidential election, and that is former President Goodluck Jonathan.

“The other waiver is for the former deputy governor, ambassador, and secretary of the party, Taofeek Arapaja, who, for many reasons, had to remain in Ibadan, Oyo State, to ensure that everything went well. So, we also declared that he had been granted a waiver by the party.

“The others, as I am sure you have interacted with many of them who came here, include two aspirants from Taraba, one from Adamawa, one from Kano, one from Akwa Ibom, one from Delta, and another from Kano.

See also  4 confirmed dead as Cameroon boils over 92-year-old Biya’s re-election as president

“Anytime the other aspirants come within the screening period, we will continue the screening exercise,” he said.

A Kebbi State Governorship aspirant, former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Ibrahim Manga, confirmed that he was successfully cleared after submitting his nomination form and undergoing screening to contest the governorship of Kebbi State.

Also, Delta governorship aspirant Benedict Etanabene said he joined the PDP after the Labour Party dissolved its state structures, questioning its viability in Delta State and criticising its reported support for the sitting president.

PDP governorship candidate in Yobe State, Sharif Abdullahi, said he is contesting again in 2027 after participating in the 2023 election, adding that if elected, he would focus on improving education, healthcare, and agriculture in the state.

Earlier, the Turaki faction had disclosed that a total of 2,122 aspirants are expected to be screened for state Houses of Assembly, 748 for the House of Representatives, 198 senatorial aspirants, 112 governorship aspirants, and one presidential aspirant.

On April 30, the Supreme Court, in a close 3–2 decision, invalidated the PDP national convention held in Ibadan on November 15 and 16.

The convention, which had the backing of Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, had produced a leadership headed by Turaki (SAN).

In response to the judgment, the Board of Trustees Chairman, aligned with the Makinde faction, Adolphus Wabara, argued that the Supreme Court’s position on the suspension of FCT Minister Nyesom Wike’s ally and PDP National Secretary, Senator Samuel Anyanwu, along with others, suggested that the party currently lacks a legally recognised leadership structure.

Following this development, the 103rd National Executive Committee meeting of the Makinde bloc of the PDP, held on Monday, approved a 13-member Caretaker Committee headed by Turaki (SAN) as chairman to oversee party affairs.

See also  Rivers Assembly endorses Tinubu for second term

Reacting to Jonathan’s emergence in a statement posted on its verified X handle, @ADCVANGUARD, the ADC said Jonathan’s potential candidacy introduced a new layer of complexity for both the ruling All Progressives Congress and opposition parties preparing for 2027.

The party said, “Jonathan’s possible return will shake the PDP, disturb APC calculations, unsettle Labour Party sympathisers, and force every political camp to rethink strategy.

“Whether people like him or not, GEJ remains one of the few Nigerian politicians whose name still carries national emotion. Some remember him for peacefully conceding defeat. Others criticise his administration. But nobody can deny that his entrance into the race changes the conversation.”

The ADC further described the reported clearance as more than an internal PDP affair, arguing that it signalled the return of old political forces ahead of what could become one of Nigeria’s most fiercely contested elections since 1999.

“The PDP screening committee clearing former President Goodluck Jonathan on waiver to contest the 2027 presidential election is not just another party headline.

“It is a political signal. It means one thing clearly: the old forces are returning to the battlefield, and every major bloc is now preparing for a serious national contest,” the party stated.

Jonathan, who lost his re-election bid to former President Muhammadu Buhari in 2015, has remained an influential political figure on the continent, largely through diplomatic and peace-building engagements across Africa.

Over the years, there have been repeated calls from political groups urging him to return to active politics, particularly following growing public dissatisfaction with economic conditions and governance challenges.

The ADC argued that the former president’s perceived moderation and national appeal could pose a fresh challenge to President Bola Tinubu and the APC, especially amid rising public frustration over inflation, insecurity and the cost of living crisis.

“For APC, this is another headache. Tinubu is already battling public anger over hardship, insecurity, inflation, and broken expectations.

“Now imagine facing a former president with nostalgia value, a soft public image, and a familiar national network. That is not a small challenge,” the party added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending