Connect with us

News

Read the untold story of Oriire rescue operation

Published

on

•How General Rabbe’s episode influenced tactical charge by security agencies
•Security operatives rejected swapping of kidnapped victims with arrested terrorists’ commanders

AS residents of Oriire Local Government area of Oyo State heave a sigh of relief, following the rescue of 44 pupils and teachers from kidnappers, findings indicated that security operatives had engaged the abductors in fierce gun battles in their hideouts.

The terrorists had hitherto used the victims as human shields for about 56 days in captivity in the first of the National Park, in the local government area

The Nigerian Tribune reliably gathered that the prolonged gun battles seriously impacted on the armoury of the terrorists, weakening their position to further consolidate on their hold on the kidnapped pupils and their teachers in the forest.

The sources in the security circle, privy to the chain of tactical moves that culminated in last Friday’s final onslaught against the criminals that led to the rescue of the victims, said the offensive was preceded by weeks of sustained troops’ onslaught on the kidnappers.

The military operation paid off as the terrorists suffered losses and were demoralised, as many of their members were killed.

“When the final operation commenced, the resistance was significantly lower than anticipated because they had already been weakened,” one of the dependable sources said.

This was coupled with the fact that no fewer than eight other terrorists were apprehended.

Recall that intelligence led the operation that culminated in the successful rescue of schoolchildren and teachers abducted from Ahoro-Esinle, Yawota and Alawusa communities in Oriire LGA.

See also  Minister reveals how Benin sought Nigeria’s military help to foil coup

A total 39 schoolchildren and seven teachers were abducted by terrorists on May 15.

One of the teachers was killed in captivity, while the remaining victims were rescued on July 10, during a coordinated operation involving the military and the DSS.

The sources said the circumstances that led to the recent unfortunate death of Major General Abubakar Rabbe in the hands of kidnappers in Katsina State also influenced the tactical approach the operatives deployed in the Oriire rescue operation.

It was gathered that the authorities decided to launch the final assault against the kidnappers rather than adopt the idea of prolonged negotiations that attended the abduction of Gen. Rabbe.

A source told the Nigerian Tribune that the Directorate of State Service (DSS) had earlier recommended a military assault on the kidnappers’ hideouts, based on intelligence that such an operation offered the best chance of rescuing the general and his wife.

But the authorities thought otherwise, thinking that negotiations could persuade the kidnappers to release General Rabbe, who unfortunately died in captivity due to medical complications.

Accordingly, the sad twist reportedly informed the paradigm shift in security strategy that prolonged negotiations with heavily armed terrorist groups sometimes carry greater risks than coordinated and carefully planned rescue operations backed by credible intelligence.

Further details on the operation said after weeks of well-coordinated synergy and intelligence gathering, coupled with military pressure, operatives of the DSS tracked down and arrested several wives and children of the kidnappers in different communities and cities across the country.”

The exercise was reportedly said to have been coordinated by a senior DSS official after security forces had already sealed off the terrorists’ escape routes and surrounded their hideout inside the National Park forest.

See also  Tinubu Sends Special Message To Nigerians As He Marks 74th Birthday

The sources stated that the family members were taken to the federal capital Abuja, where the wives were interrogated in accordance with investigative procedures.

Video recordings of the interrogations soon leaked to the kidnappers.

“The kidnappers suddenly became more responsive. They abandoned their earlier hardline position and started making frequent contact instead of disappearing after making demands,” a source stated.

Therefore, they resolved to have a rethink on their initial demands.

Further checks indicated that the arrest of members of the terrorists’ family reduced the possibility that the kidnappers could harm the hostages, as such actions could spell doom for their own relatives already under arrest.

As the operatives tightened the noose around the criminals and contact continued, the joint rescue force steadily cordoned off the terrorists’ hideout.

The final order to storm the camp was said to have been issued on Thursday night after fresh intelligence reportedly confirmed that the abducted schoolchildren and teachers were no longer being used as human shields.

The sources said the operation was not just swift with precision but it was also well coordinated and backed by overwhelming firepower, catching the terrorists unawares.

The source assured that the children of the suspects who have not been found culpable would be released, while any of their wives found to have actively participated in the criminal activities would be prosecuted in accordance with the law.

The authorities said the arrest of the terrorists’ family members is in line with President Bola Tinubu’s new policy of not paying ransom or negotiating with terrorists, sources revealed

See also  IGP Disu appoints Anietie Iniedu as new Force PRO

The kidnappers initially demanded the release of detained terrorist commanders, payment of ransom, two Hilux vehicles and the implementation of Sharia-related laws as conditions for freeing the victims.

They specifically requested the release of Mahmud Usman, also known as Abu Bara’a or Abbas Mukhtar, and his deputy, Abubakar Abba, alias Isah Adam or Mahmud Al-Nigeri. Both men are identified by security agencies as leaders of Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimeena Fi Biladis Sudan (Ansaru), a breakaway faction of Boko Haram linked to al-Qaeda, and were arrested by DSS operatives in 2025.

tribuneonlineng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Nollywood Actor Taiwo Hassan ‘Ogogo’s’ burial details revealed

Published

on

The burial arrangements for veteran Nollywood actor and screenwriter, Taiwo Hassan, popularly known as Ogogo, have been announced following his death at the age of 66.

Ogogo will be buried on Monday, August 24, 2026, in his hometown, Ilaro, Ogun State.

Veteran actor Jide Kosoko announced the burial details in a statement shared on his Instagram page, saying the actor’s remains would be taken to Ilaro for a lying-in-state ceremony.

According to the announcement, the ceremony will hold at the Pavillon, Ilaro, Ogun State, by 11:00 a.m.

The statement read, “His remains will be taken to his hometown, Ilaro, Ogun State today where the lying-in-state ceremony will take place tomorrow.”

The founder of Best of Nollywood, Seun Oloketuyi, also confirmed the burial arrangement through a statement from the Ilaro Muslim Community.

The announcement stated that the burial prayer would hold at the Asade Agunloye Pavilion Ground by 10:00 a.m.

Ogogo died on Sunday at 3 p.m. at the age of 66, according to the burial announcement.

His death came days after his daughters, Kaira and Lima Taiwo, appealed for medical assistance for the actor, who had been battling stage-four cancer.

Kaira had earlier revealed that doctors informed the family they could no longer administer chemotherapy due to his condition.

Ogogo was a respected figure in the Nigerian film industry, particularly known for his contributions to Yoruba-language cinema.

 

See also  Israel To Support Persecuted Christians In Nigeria – Netanyahu
Continue Reading

News

Nollywood actor, Ogogo, succumbs to cancer, dies at 66

Published

on

Popular Nollywood and Yoruba film actor, Taiwo Hassan, pooularly known as Ogogo, is dead.

The news of the actor’s death was confirmed by multiple sources, including the founder of Best of Nollywood, Seun Oloketuyi.

Oloketuyi announced the death in a post on social media, writing, “Taiwo Hassan Ogogo is dead.

“He finally lost the battle of life.”

Ogogo’s daughter, Kaira Taiwo, was also seen crying during a live session on Instagram on Sunday, where she expressed disbelief over her father’s death.

Nigerian actor and filmmaker, Saheed Balogun, also mourned the veteran actor in an Instagram post. Nigerianbusiness news

“Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un. You can rest now my brother Taiwo Hassan Ogogo. May Almighty Allah guide you through Aljannah. This is truly painful.” Balogun wrote.

The actor’s death comes days after his daughters, Kaira and Lima Taiwo, appealed for medical assistance for their father, who had been battling stage-four cancer.

On Monday, August 17, 2026, the sisters took to social media to seek medical advice and assistance for the actor.

According to Kaira, doctors had informed the family that they could no longer administer chemotherapy due to his condition.

The family subsequently sought alternative treatment options, including specialised medical procedures and traditional remedies.

Ogogo was a prominent figure in the Nigerian film industry, particularly known for his contributions to Yoruba-language films. Nigerianbusiness news

He is to be buried on Monday.

See also  Tinubu Sends Special Message To Nigerians As He Marks 74th Birthday
Continue Reading

News

VIDEO: Police arrest Tope Osoba’s lover, Prophet Itunu over her death

Published

on

Prophet Itunu, the lover of late Nigerian actress, Temitope Osoba, better known as Tope Osoba, has been arrested.

Police reportedly arrested Itunu on Tuesday August 18, 2026 following the public outcry over the circumstances surrounding Tope’s death.

It was  reports that Tope Osoba died on August 4, 2026, two years after surviving breast cancer.

Many Nigerians took to social media to demand the arrest of her lover after the actress’ close associates and best friends accused him and his siblings of having a hand in her death.

Shortly after the news of her death, Tope Osoba’s friends and associates started calling out Prophet Itunu for allegedly manipulating the actress to move in with him without knowing her family or marrying her legally.

Itunu was also accused of bullying her, collecting one of her money and one of her cars, and stopping her from acting or speaking with colleagues and friends.

Following the chat and voice notes evidence shared by the deceased’s friends to backup the allegations, the family postponed her burial to allow the police to conduct proper investigation into her death.

Reacting to the development in an interview with the Celestial Reality Check, a Media Investigative Unit of the Celestial Church of Christ, Itunu denied the allegations and claimed that it was the actress that approached him for marriage after she visited his church for prayers.

While accusing her of being a drug addict, the prophet said, “Tope was a drug addict and I didn’t know about it on time. And I don’t have money to take her to rehab after I noticed.”

See also  NUPENG suspends strike

However, updating the public about the case in an Instagram video on Sunday, the actress’ close friend and online personality, Akeem, announced that Itunu has been arrested alongside one unidentified hairdresser.

Akeem who is better known as ‘Oko Awon Single Mother’, said in a now trending video, “Good morning everybody, good Nigerians. So to those asking me for an update about Tope Osoba’s case, I have good news for you.

“Itunu was arrested on Tuesday. The hairdresser was also arrested. They are now in detention. The order guy that was accused of raping her is on the run. The guy’s name is Pelumi.

“So hopefully, justice will be served for her. Thank you Nigerians, thanks to the police for not ignoring our cry for justice. A big thank you to the family and a big thank you to myself. Autopsy will be carried out by the police.”

It was  reports that Prophet Itunu is the Shepherd-in-charge of CCC Onibuore Cathedral, Bogije, in the Ibeju-Lekki area of Lagos State.

WATCH THE VIDEO

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending