Connect with us

News

Two killed, three rescued in Anambra students’ hostel collapse

Published

on

Two persons have been confirmed dead, while three others were rescued after a three-storey hostel building, known as Elite Five Star Lodge, collapsed in Amaokpala, near the Federal Polytechnic, Oko, in Orumba North Local Government Area of Anambra State.

The building, which had about 60 rooms, caved in on Sunday night, throwing residents and passers-by into panic as an unknown number of occupants, mostly students, were trapped beneath the rubble for hours before emergency responders arrived.

Eyewitnesses said the building collapsed while occupants were inside.

One resident, Ifeoma, who witnessed the incident, told PUNCH Metro that a loud noise preceded the collapse.

“We heard a very loud noise before the building collapsed. The noise attracted many residents and students, who rushed to the area to see what had happened.

“Within moments after the loud noise, people started shouting for help as the building came crashing down,” she said.

Videos and photographs circulating online showed a large crowd gathered at the scene as rescue workers, security personnel and volunteers searched through the debris for trapped victims.

PUNCH Metro gathered that a joint rescue team comprising the Nigerian Red Cross Society, the National Emergency Management Agency, the Anambra State Emergency Management Agency, the Anambra State Fire Service, the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies arrived at the scene in the early hours of Monday and immediately commenced rescue operations.

Using heavy-duty excavators and other specialised equipment, emergency workers carefully removed debris in a coordinated effort to locate survivors while ensuring the safety of the rescue personnel.

See also  Tinubu reinstates Fubara after Emergency Rule

The atmosphere remained tense as anxious residents, students and sympathisers watched the operation, while security operatives cordoned off the area to prevent interference and allow emergency responders unrestricted access.

As of 6:55 p.m., rescue workers recovered the body of another male victim, bringing the total number of fatalities to two.

The acting Executive Secretary of the Anambra State Emergency Management Agency, Ndidi Omega, confirmed the recovery of the female victim’s body and said three injured persons had earlier been rescued and taken to hospital.

She said, “One female body was recovered, while three persons were rescued and taken to the hospital. The rescue operation will continue until every section of the debris has been thoroughly searched.”

The Head of Media and Publicity of the Anambra State Fire Service, Chukwudi Chiketa, also confirmed the development.

“Upon arrival at the scene, fire service personnel immediately commenced search and rescue operations in collaboration with other emergency responders.

“Regrettably, one female victim was recovered from the rubble. She was confirmed dead at the scene, and her body was evacuated and handed over to the appropriate authorities for deposition in a morgue.

“Search and rescue operations are still ongoing to determine whether any other persons remain trapped beneath the debris.

“The cause of the building collapse was yet to be determined and remains under investigation,” Chiketa said.

He urged members of the public to stay away from the area to enable emergency officers to carry out their duties safely.

However, the spokesperson for the Anambra State Police Command, Tochukwu Ikenga, has appealed for calm, saying officers had secured the scene immediately after receiving the distress call.

See also  PHOTOS: Burial details released for three brothers who di£d in the Great Nigeria Insurance House fire

“On receipt of the distress report, the police, in collaboration with other security agencies, immediately mobilised to the scene, secured the area to prevent further danger and coordinated rescue efforts,” Ikenga said.

He added that rescue operations were ongoing to determine whether more victims remained trapped, noting that the total number of casualties could not yet be confirmed.

“Some injured victims have been rescued from the debris and taken to a hospital in Oko, where they are receiving treatment.

“Residents are advised to remain calm, avoid spreading unverified information and stay away from the scene to allow emergency responders unrestricted access,” he added.

Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency has sealed off the premises of the collapsed building.

A NEMA official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the action was necessary to facilitate uninterrupted rescue operations and enable investigators to determine the cause of the collapse.

“The building has been sealed with red tape and barricaded to restrict movement around the premises. Before now, some students and residents were loitering around the site, thereby distracting rescue workers,” the official said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Iran hit US oil tanker in Gulf – Report

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tell Nigerians real reasons for sacking service chiefs – ADC to Tinubu
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  NSCDC deploys 4500 personnel in FCT ahead of Independence

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending