Connect with us

Crime

EFCC faces credibility questions over asset auction

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has come under fresh scrutiny over its decision to auction seized vehicles through a platform it intends to manage, with the Nigeria Association of Auctioneers accusing the anti-graft agency of undermining transparency, accountability and due process in the disposal of forfeited assets.

The association said allowing the EFCC to investigate financial crimes, seize assets, retain custody of them and subsequently conduct their sale amounts to a conflict of roles capable of eroding public confidence in the asset recovery process.

Speaking in an interview with The PUNCH on Tuesday, the President of the Nigeria Association of Auctioneers, Benjamin Isibor, insisted that the commission lacked the legal basis to function as both custodian and seller of assets recovered from suspected criminals.

According to him, the association had previously challenged a similar move during the tenure of former EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu.

He said, “The EFCC is now trying to act as a custodian and seller of assets, which is totally unlawful. This same issue happened during former EFCC chairman Ibrahim Magu. Magu said he was going to bring in foreigners to sell these assets. But it was stopped after our outcry.

“Now, this same thing is about to happen in another way. Everyone is interested in what happens with crime agencies. The EFCC are the ones who prosecute, seize these assets, and now want to play as custodian of the assets. They have seized these items as proceeds of crime, and at the same time, you still want to be the one to set up these platforms that would sell off these assets.”

See also  Nigerian Military Intercepts Vessels With Illegal Crude Oil Worth $300 Million

“We are completely against this process, and it should not be done when there are reputable and certified auctioneers who are on the front line to do this job for you.”

Isibor maintained that certified auctioneers were better positioned to guarantee credibility and openness in the disposal process. He added, “This is exactly our position. We would stand in the gap for our government and the general public to ensure that the process is seamless and transparent.”

Although the association said it was yet to ascertain the exact number of vehicles proposed for the exercise, it noted that the EFCC recently took possession of a fleet of vehicles linked to businesswoman Aisha Achimugu following ongoing investigations.

The vehicles, whose exact value has not been officially disclosed by the commission, are believed to be worth several billions of naira, given the luxury brands reportedly recovered during the investigation. The EFCC has yet to announce whether all or part of the recovered vehicles will be included in the proposed auction.

Questioning the commission’s latest approach, Isibor said auctioneers had previously invested heavily in building digital auction platforms after being formally engaged by the EFCC.

He said, “We don’t know the number of cars they want to auction, but we have done this process with them in the past where they engage the services of auctioneers. Actually, they have had a contractual agreement with some auctioneers in the past to build portals, and the auctioneers have spent lots of money to build portals and the system that would work.

See also  PHOTOS: NSCDC arrests fake soldier for alleged PoS fraud in Kwara

“Which is then surprising that, having committed people to work and commit resources, the EFCC is now saying they want to do it by themselves. That is illegal.”

He further argued that the planned arrangement violated established legal principles governing the disposal of forfeited assets.

According to him, “It is against the principles of even natural justice. It is against the law, the Due Process Act, and even the POCA law that was claimed by the EFCC.

“The POCA law doesn’t say the commission should sell by themselves. The Due Process Act and other laws do not say the commission should sell by themselves. So why would they want to sell by themselves? That is our challenge and question.”

The association also questioned why existing contractual arrangements with auctioneers appeared to have been abandoned without explanation. Isibor said, “We are also saying that in a situation where you have already engaged auctioneers, you have a contractual agreement in the past. The commission made them commit hard-earned resources to build portals.

“They went around the country to make the process smooth in these hard times, and at the end of the day, you have inconclusive arrangements with previous auctioneers, and now you want to do it by yourself. There is no clarity for us as far as we are concerned.

“We saw the advert for the auction, and we are concerned as stakeholders that due process must be followed irrespective of whose ox is gored. And the agency that should protect the law shouldn’t be the one to go against it. That is our stand.”

See also  FRSC introduces contactless driver’s license system

Also speaking, a former National President of the association, Alhaji Musa Kurra, said concerns had already been raised within the industry over the proposed exercise.

He said, “Yes, I have heard issues and complaints about the latest auction announced by the EFCC. In everything, you would always find people who are trying to circumvent these things for themselves.”

The EFCC has over the years disposed of forfeited assets, including houses, vessels and vehicles, through public auctions conducted by appointed auctioneers after obtaining final forfeiture orders from the courts. Such auctions are intended to prevent recovered assets from deteriorating while ensuring proceeds are remitted to the Federal Government.

The latest disagreement, however, centres on whether the anti-graft agency should directly manage the auction process or continue to rely on independent, licensed auctioneers in line with procurement practices and asset disposal procedures.

As of the time of filing this report, the EFCC had yet to respond to the concerns raised by the auctioneers’ association regarding the planned sale of the vehicles.

The commission spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, didn’t respond to calls, text, and WhatsApp messages as of 7:26 pm when this report was filed.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Soldiers rescue kidnap victim, foil terrorist attack in Kaduna, Sokoto

Published

on

Troops of the Joint Task Force North-West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have rescued a kidnap victim in Kaduna State and foiled a terrorist attack in Sokoto State.

The military disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday by the Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force, Lt. Col. Aliyu Danja.

According to Danja, troops of Sector 1 rescued a 43-year-old man abducted around Awon Community in Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State on Thursday.

He said the troops responded to a distress call and immediately moved into the area, forcing the terrorists to abandon their victim and flee into the surrounding bushes.

“The troops swiftly moved into the area and pursued the terrorists into the surrounding bushes, compelling them to abandon their captive and flee,” Danja said.

He added that the rescued victim was subsequently reunited with his family.

In a separate operation on Friday, troops of Sector 2, working with local security personnel, foiled an attack on Kwaren Gamba Village in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

Danja said the troops engaged the terrorists and forced them to withdraw from the community in disarray.

He stated that troops subsequently pursued the fleeing terrorists, during which one terrorist was neutralised.

According to him, the troops also recovered two mobile phones, cash, an ATM card, recharge cards and other items from the scene.

Danja said the latest operations demonstrated the military’s continued efforts to deny terrorists freedom of action across the North-West.

“The Joint Task Force North-West Operation FANSAN YAMMA remains resolute in sustaining the tempo of ongoing operations to deny terrorists freedom of action and create a safer environment for communities across the Joint Operations Area,” he said.

See also  FG declares holidays, deploys security amid terror alert ahead of Eid-el-Kabir celebration

He assured residents that troops would continue to respond decisively to emerging security threats.

“The Theatre Command reassures the public that troops will continue to respond decisively to emerging threats,” he added.

The military spokesman also urged residents to remain vigilant and provide timely and credible information to security forces to support ongoing operations.

He said such cooperation remained critical to efforts to restore lasting peace and security across the region.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

Tinubu orders arrest, suspends three perm secs as ICPC uncovers new fake agency

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has ordered the immediate arrest of one George Buchi Nwabueze and the suspension of three permanent secretaries over the discovery of another fake agency operating within the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.

They include M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare, and Richard P. Pheelangwah.

Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Dr Musa Aliyu, SAN disclosed this to State House correspondents on Friday after briefing the President for the second time in two days, following an earlier meeting on Thursday.

Aliyu said the newly uncovered fake office, operating under the name “National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office,” had been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the OSGF, contrary to extant laws and without presidential authorisation.

He said, “Upon further briefing by ICPC to Mr President on the ongoing investigations into the fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council and procedural weaknesses in the public service, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission has uncovered another fake agency and office operating under the name National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office, which has been illegally allocated office space within the premises of the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation,” Aliyu said.

He said the discovery emerged in the course of the commission’s broader investigation, as earlier directed by President Tinubu, and identified the promoter of the fake office as one Prince George Buchi Nwabueze, who was found to be operating under multiple aliases.

See also  Tinubu vows safe return of abducted Oyo teachers, pupils; read details

“The fake agency office, National Brands Development and Made in Nigeria Special Project Office, was promoted by one George Buchi Nwabueze, with active suspected collaborators in the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, contrary to extant laws and without authorisation of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“The promoter was discovered to also operate under four other variations of his name: George Nathan, George Nathan Nwabueze, Honourable George Buchi Nwabueze, Prince George Buchi Nwabueze and George Nwabueze,” Aliyu said.

He revealed that the ICPC had engaged the Office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation to ascertain vital information relating to the fake office under investigation, and had comprehensively briefed the President on the new developments.

“I have briefed Mr President comprehensively on these new developments. ICPC will continue with its investigations accordingly,” he said.

Aliyu said following the discovery, “Mr President has directed as follows: the immediate arrest of Prince George Buchi Nwabueze; the immediate suspension of the following permanent secretaries; M.S. Danjuma, Nadungu Gagare, and Richard P. Pheelangwah,” he said.

Friday’s development is the latest in a scandal that began with the exposure of the fictitious Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council, whose self-styled Director-General, Adeniyi Adeyemi Matthew, is currently facing prosecution on charges of forgery and impersonation.

The ICPC’s interim report, submitted to the President on August 6 after a 30-day investigation, had earlier disclosed the existence of two other fictitious bodies, the FCT Investment Promotion Agency and the Foreign Investment Promotion Agency and Public-Private Partnership.

See also  Tinubu nominates Bernard Doro as minister

The National Brands Development and Made-in-Nigeria Special Project Office is the fourth fake agency uncovered after the PFIFC scandal since early April.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

EFCC withdraws cybercrime charges against BUK student

Published

on

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has withdrawn the charges against a final-year student of Bayero University, Kano, Maryam Shehu, and another Nigerian, Abubakar Abdulhamad, who were arraigned for alleged cybercrime and peddling malicious information against the commission.

The two defendants were arraigned separately before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday.

The commission had accused Shehu of publishing a social media post on June 21 alleging that EFCC officials assaulted one Ahmed Uthman on the instruction of a zonal director who allegedly collected N20m from one Usman Abbas.

The EFCC said the publication was intended to tarnish its reputation and constituted an offence under Section 24(2)(c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc.) Act, 2015, as amended in 2024.

Abdulhamad was also charged under the same provision over a separate allegation.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty when the charges were read to them.

However, the EFCC in a statement on Friday by its spokesman, Dele Oyewale, said the Executive Chairman of the commission, Ola Olukoyede, directed the withdrawal of the charges following appeals for leniency and an apology from Shehu’s father, as well as pleas from well-meaning Nigerians

Oyewale said although the commission considered the alleged cyberstalking to be contrary to the Cybercrimes Act, the chairman was moved by the appeals and apologies presented on behalf of the defendants.

The statement read, “ The Executive Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ola Olukoyede has compassionately ordered the withdrawal of charges preferred against Maryam Isah Shehu and Abubakar Shuraim Abdulhamad, who were, on Thurday August 21, 2026 arraigned before Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court, Abuja , for alleged cybercrime and peddling malicious information against the Commission.

See also  Police apprehend one more robbery suspect terrorising Abia varsity students

“While the Commission considered the arraignment of the two defendants for cyber stalking to be contrary to Section 24(2) (c) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, Etc) Act, 2015 (As Amended) 2024 and punishable under Section 24 (2) (c) (ii) of the same Act, the Executive Chairman, nonetheless, considered the passionate pleas and apologies of Shehu’s father and appeals of well-meaning Nigerians for leniency.

“To this end, he has directed that charges filed against the two young Nigerians be dropped and warned that the EFCC would no longer tolerate any wilful attack on its image in any form, medium or platform.

“The EFCC’s boss assured Nigerians that the Commission would continue to function in line with its assigned mandate and in the best interests of the nation”.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending