Connect with us

News

Kwara to sanction food handlers for poor hygiene due to Lassa fever

Published

on

The Kwara State Environmental Protection Agency has warned food processors, garri production centres and street food vendors across the state to comply with strict hygiene and waste management standards or face sanctions, as part of efforts to curb the spread of Lassa fever.

In a statement made available to The PUNCH on Wednesday by its Press Secretary, Aliyu Amode, the agency said it was concerned about environmental practices that could heighten the risk of the viral disease.

The General Manager of Kwara State Environmental Protection Agency, Jide Aina, noted that Lassa fever is commonly transmitted through contact with infected rodents or the consumption of food contaminated by rodents’ urine or droppings.

“Food handlers occupy a critical position in safeguarding public health, particularly in preventing contamination during food processing, storage and sales,” the statement reads.

Aina directed garri processing factories and other food production facilities to ensure that raw materials and finished products are stored in rodent-proof containers at all times.

He also stressed the need for regular cleaning of processing equipment and facilities, as well as proper waste disposal to prevent rodent infestation.

The agency cautioned street food vendors against unsafe practices such as displaying or spreading food on bare ground, roadsides or other exposed surfaces.

Vendors were urged to always cover food items, maintain personal hygiene, wash hands regularly with soap and clean water, and dispose of refuse responsibly instead of dumping waste in drainage channels or public spaces.

“Key preventive measures include maintaining clean surroundings around business premises, using safe water for food preparation and ensuring proper handling and disposal of food packaging materials,” he said.

See also  Doctors begin indefinite strike Tuesday - See Why

Aina announced that the agency would intensify routine inspections and enforcement activities across the state, warning that defaulters would face sanctions in line with environmental health regulations.

“Ensuring proper hygiene and waste management is not optional; it is essential to protecting lives. Together, we can drastically reduce the risk of Lassa fever and promote a healthier Kwara State,” he said.

He called on food business operators and residents to demonstrate collective responsibility in maintaining environmental cleanliness, stressing that preventing Lassa fever requires proactive action from all stakeholders.

The PUNCH had earlier reported that recent social media posts claimed that corps members at the National Youth Service Corps Orientation Camp in Kwara State had died from Lassa fever.

However, the Kwara State Government debunked the reports, saying there has been no recorded outbreak or confirmed cases of the disease at the camp.

“The state’s Rapid Response Team (RRT), led by the State Epidemiologist, investigated the claims after rumours surfaced on February 8 and found no evidence of transmission or infection among corps members or camp officials,” the government said in a statement on Tuesday by the Ministry of Health’s Press Secretary, Saad Hamdalat.

The NYSC State Coordinator, Olaoluwa Onifade, further clarified that the corps member mentioned in the online posts had a pre-existing chronic condition and died at a health facility outside the camp, with no laboratory confirmation linking the death to Lassa fever.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Court frees 13 inmates unlawfully detained in Taraba, awards N448m damages

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Officers behind foiled coup knew consequences of their action – Defense Minister
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Alleged kidney harvesting: Noah Kekere breaks silence after court victory

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending