Connect with us

News

Ogun Amotekun unveils CCTV control room to fight crime

Published

on

The Ogun State Government on Wednesday reiterated its commitment to empowering security agencies to combat crime and maintain law and order in the state.

The government has equally emphasised the deployment of technology to improve real-time crime-fighting and detection, to ensure that everyone in the state sleeps with their two eyes closed, while flushing out criminal-minded residents from the state.

The Secretary to the state government, Mr Tokunbo Talabi, disclosed this on Wednesday while unveiling the CCTV control room of the Ogun State Security Network, otherwise known as Amotekun Corps, at their state command headquarters in Abeokuta.

Mr Talabi, who hailed the ingenuity of the Amotekun Corps Commander, Brig Gen Alade Adedigba (retd.), for setting up the CCTV Control Room, said the government is pleased that the security agency is embracing growth and professionalism and will be supported more to secure the state.

He stated that the importance of deploying intelligence and technology to keep any society safe cannot be overemphasised, saying that he was glad that the leadership of Amotekun not only had foresight but was also thinking progressively to raise the bar in ensuring a safe Ogun state for all.

The SSG said, “When we look at the fact that Amotekun is like a pioneer force that was deliberately set up to help with certain aspects of our security, and if you look at the time they have just been in existence, an initiative like this CCTV control room gives the state government a lot of confidence.

See also  ‘US Airstrikes In Nigeria Signal Tough Stance On Attacks Against Christians’, Says Congressman Huizenga

”It goes to show that at least the professionalism that we are expecting, somebody is strategically thinking about it.

“The fact that when the corps grows bigger, right now they have about 2,000 operatives, to administer 2,000 operatives needs some form of technology.

“To also be able to cover our very vast land, we need operatives, we need technology in very critical areas.

“This is a very good concept and I believe that with this in place, then we can start to begin to build on it and expand it. It’s a very good initiative. It’s something that we do. It’s something that will take us to the next level.

“It’s something that will significantly improve security in our dear state. I am definitely impressed with what I have seen so far with the demonstration. The template is good, and we can take it up from here.”

The SSG said that, although there are currently only three centres where the closed-circuit cameras are in operation, the state government is committed to scaling up the pilot phase and ensuring that every part of the state is covered.

Talabi emphasised the need for stronger collaboration among all security agencies, noting that security is a complex process that cannot be entrusted to any single saviour. Therefore, there is always a need for synergy to keep the state safe.

He said, “It is also good for us to emphasise the need for collaboration because we don’t want to take for granted what we have. I believe we have a good collaboration because we meet regularly.

See also  INEC seeks nearly N1tn for 2027 elections

“Everybody exchanges their own views, but we cannot overemphasise it because that is the strength that a state can have.

That is the place of capacity building. That is the place of efficiency.

“So if we then have a situation like somewhere and it happens that the operatives in that area cannot manage it, of course, we are going to call on other agencies. If we need the military, they will also join you in that capacity.

“So we will then agree on how to hold forth until enforcement comes from their own network, from other networks, and whoever is in need. I think that we are getting the right”.

Speaking at the event, the Amotekun Corps Commander, Brig Gen Adedigba, (retd.), said that the establishment of the CCTV control room would help the corps achieve optimal performance and enhance watertight security for the state’s residents.

He explained, “To start with, the interface between security and technology cannot be overemphasised. Security measures implemented without technology will only be reactive. It will be manual.

“But when you interface technology with whatever measures you put in place, it means you are proactive.

“And you can even run on autopilot.

“Therefore, setting up a CCTV control centre is a way to ensure that we enhance our performance in terms of response time, reducing the line of communication.

“For example, I am right now at our headquarters in Abeokuta, and I have a team somewhere in Ogere, which takes about 45 minutes, but when you have a system of this nature, real-time, as something is happening, you are relating to the man on the ground, and he’s responding.

See also  Court threatens to revoke Sowore’s bail over absenteeism

“So you save time, you save life, and you achieve so much. So that is the reason behind the establishment of a system of this nature.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  No governor has power to suspend NURTW - MC Oluomo speaks after Governor Adeleke suspended activities of the group in Osun

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu promises support for slain security personnel in Kebbi
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Uzodimma approves N25bn judges’ quarters, N1.9bn CBT centres for Imo

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending