Connect with us

News

Electoral Act: Nigeria not ready for real-time voting, transparency not guaranteed – Dickson

Published

on

A former Bayelsa State governor and lawmaker representing Bayelsa West, Senator Seriake Dickson, has said Nigeria is not yet at the stage of electronic voting, describing the insistence on “real-time” transmission of election results as unnecessary.

Speaking in an interview with ARISE News on Tuesday, he said the concept of real-time transmission is being widely misunderstood.

“What is the meaning of real time? We are not voting electronically in Nigeria. We are not at the point where you go and press a button and your vote is instantly added to a portal,” he said.

He described the term as “superfluous,” adding that it does not in itself guarantee transparency.

“The word ‘real time’ in this context is actually superfluous. It doesn’t, on its own, give you a transparent election. It shouldn’t have been there in the first place. It’s never too late to correct something.”

He further added that the Senate’s latest action on the Electoral Act Amendment Bill should not be seen as a setback for democracy.

“I don’t count the proceedings of today and the outcome as a loss for democracy,” he said.

His comments come in the wake of the Senate’s emergency plenary, which revisited Clause 60(3) of the bill following public outrage. The upper chamber approved the transmission of results to the Independent National Electoral Commission’s Result Viewing Portal (IREV), while retaining manual collation as a backup in cases of network failure. However, the Senate stopped short of making electronic transmission compulsory and rejected the inclusion of real-time upload of results.

See also  Tinubu to meet Council of State, police on insecurity

Critics have argued that the absence of an explicit real-time transmission requirement leaves room for manipulation.

Dickson, however, clarified that he was speaking in his personal capacity.

“I’m not here as spokesman of the Senate. I’m here to give my views as someone who has been deeply involved in all these processes as a ranking member of this committee and as someone who participated in the proceedings of today,” he said.

He explained that deliberations on electronic transmission had lasted nearly two years, involving consultations and engagements with INEC.

“This has been going on for about two years or so — different workshops, conferences at the Senate Committee, joint committees and also interactions with INEC,” he said.

The senator disclosed that he was absent when the Senate earlier took the controversial decision due to bereavement.

“I was not there when the Senate took that decision earlier, about a week ago, as I was bereaved. I lost a close brother, the sitting deputy governor of my state. Today was the very first day I went to sit in the Senate because of the importance of this matter,” he said.

Tracing resistance to electronic transmission to longstanding political divisions, Dickson said, “This issue of electronic transmission is always problematic. Even in the 9th Senate, when we tried to introduce electronic transfer, there was stiff opposition. Somehow, the party in power has always been very resistant to these notions.”

According to him, the Senate Committee and the House of Representatives had initially reached unanimous agreement on protecting IREV before the matter was altered on the Senate floor.

See also  Nigeria owes you more than many will ever know.- President Tinubu tells his wife, Remi, as she turns 65

“There was unanimity of opinion. The same report was presented by the House of Reps committee, and they passed it without controversy. That was what we all agreed, he added.

He described the earlier reversal as “unfortunate,” noting that INEC had assured lawmakers it could implement electronic transmission.

“What happened in the Senate last week was unfortunate, especially when INEC had already assured us that it could implement electronic transmission,” he said.

Dickson said he confronted Senate leadership upon his return and was assured that a compromise would be found.

“When I went in for the sitting, I confronted the leadership. They gave me their word that they were going to find a middle course,” he said.

Dickson stressed that transparency lies in protecting polling unit results, maintaining that the EC8A form remains the primary evidence of victory.

“The primary evidence of who won an election is the EC8A. Once the votes are counted, agents sign, and copies are issued, INEC compels presiding officers to transmit the result to IREV. That is good enough for us,” he said.

Although he expressed reservations about the proviso allowing manual collation in cases of network failure, Dickson said compromise was necessary.

“I don’t agree with the proviso that has been included, but parliament works on the basis of majority,” he said. He maintained that electronic transmission remains mandatory under the amended clause: “Every presiding officer shall transmit the result electronically. That is mandatory. That is what we passed today,” he said.

On harmonising Senate and House versions, he said he would adopt the House position, reflecting earlier consensus.

See also  Southern Leaders, Others Oppose US Military Intervention In Nigeria

He said, “If I were a member of the conference committee, I would adopt the House version because it reflects what we all agreed in the joint committee.”

He also raised concerns about other provisions, particularly the proposal to compel all parties to adopt direct primaries. “Direct voting is a concept introduced by the APC. They have no right to enforce it on every other party, particularly the smaller parties.”

On accountability, Dickson stressed that INEC ultimately holds responsibility. “Even now, without this amendment, INEC guidelines already compel electronic transmission to IREV.” He defended the Supreme Court’s 2023 ruling, noting that EC8A forms remain the primary source of proving election results. “The IREV was never intended to be the primary evidence.”

Concluding on electoral reform, Dickson said progress must be incremental. “You make gains incrementally. It’s not always your way or the highway. We have made electronic transfer mandatory, and that is progress.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  BREAKING: Navy Officer Lt Yarima Who Confronted Wike Escapes Assassination Attempt

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Tinubu to meet Council of State, police on insecurity
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  See why Trump might not fix Nigeria’s problems — Ex-American judge

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending