Connect with us

News

Natasha to serve out suspension as Senate enters recess

Published

on

Two days after Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan was barred from resuming her duties, the Nigerian Senate, on Thursday, adjourned plenary till September 23, 2025, for its annual recess.

With the recess now in effect, the embattled Kogi senator is expected to serve out the remainder of her suspension until plenary resumes.

Akpoti-Uduaghan was suspended on March 6, 2025, for six months, following allegations of misconduct and insubordination during plenary on February 20, 2025, when she rejected a change to her designated seat.

The Senate had warned it might revisit her suspension if she failed to issue a formal apology.

The penalty was based on recommendations by the Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions, which found her guilty after investigating complaints against her.

The suspension was to last until September 6, 2025. However, with the recess, the embattled lawmaker would serve out her term.

Akpoti-Uduaghan, speaking to journalists on Tuesday after a failed attempt to enter the Senate chamber, described the Senate’s action as contemptuous and said she would seek legal redress at the appellate level.

“Even the suspension ab initio was fraudulent—the document was faulty,” she said.

“Going forward, I will have a meeting with my legal team so they can proceed to the appellate court to seek interpretation of what just happened. I am a law-abiding citizen.”

She also accused Senate President Akpabio of acting beyond his authority.

With the recess, however, the Senate would not reconvene until she had served out the full suspension slammed on her by the Red Chamber.

See also  Tinubu made cancer treatment possible in Nigeria – Minister

Announcing the break on the floor, Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, said the decision was based on “chamber reciprocity,” noting that the House of Representatives had already proceeded on recess in line with the legislative calendar.

“We have started a new calendar that will take us to next year, June. And so it has fallen within this period for us to go on for a break to enable us to undertake major oversights,” Akpabio explained.

He clarified that although plenary sessions would be on hold, committee assignments should continue during the recess.

“All necessary committees—the diaspora committee, committee on reparation, committee on interior and others—this is the best time for you to undertake visits to prisons and all that.

“Do all your reports and make them available as soon as we come back,” he directed.

The Senate President urged lawmakers to embark on oversight visits across the country, stressing that their duties must not be neglected.

“You are moving from plenary for the next few weeks, but you are not stopping your legislative functions, because that’s what your people elected you to do. Members are expected to travel to Sokoto, everywhere, to observe the road repairs that are going on.

“By the time we resume, you are expected to bring your reports, committee by committee, for us to look into. I want to wish you safe travels and for all of us to return in good health,” he added.

Akpabio also informed members of the death of Prof Janet Plang, wife of Senator Diket Plang.

See also  Former Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor faults Wike over squabble with soldier

He said arrangements had been made for senators to travel to Plateau State on Friday to attend the funeral, with a plane scheduled to depart Abuja at 8 am.

Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele commended senators for their dedication to legislative work.

“We thank all our colleagues for all they have done to ensure that the business of lawmaking on behalf of the government and people of Nigeria has progressed smoothly,” Bamidele said.

He thereafter moved a motion to defer all other matters on the order paper to the next legislative day, which the Senate adopted unanimously.

Natasha delayed at airport

In a separate development, the embattled senator was reportedly delayed at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, last Thursday while trying to board a flight to the United Kingdom.

A family source said immigration officers claimed she had been placed on a watch list at the instance of the National Assembly leadership.

“She was told that the leadership of the National Assembly requested that she be considered a flight risk and placed on a watch list,” the source said.

“We are wondering why they treated her that way, given there is no court order restricting her movement and she has never missed any of her court appearances.”

Eyewitnesses confirmed that Akpoti-Uduaghan appeared distressed and made a series of phone calls before she was eventually allowed to board after her passport was stamped.

When contacted shortly before takeoff, the senator confirmed the incident, saying, “The aircraft is about to take off.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

 

See also  Borno terror attack victims hospitalised in Cameroon

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Train crushes dispatch rider to de@th in Lagos

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Terrorism: Police tighten S’East security as Kanu knows fate today

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  After Yuletide Break In Lagos, Tinubu Leaves For Europe, Abu Dhabi For Sustainability Week
Continue Reading

Trending