Connect with us

News

Reps probe Nigerian miners’ abuse claim in CAR

Published

on

The House of Representatives Committee on China-Nigeria Parliamentary Relations has launched an investigation into a viral video showing some Nigerian workers in the Central African Republic, alleging abandonment and ill treatment.

In the video, which surfaced last Thursday, the miners claimed they were recruited by a Chinese mining company but were later abandoned, had their passports confiscated, and were subjected to inhumane treatment.

The workers appealed to Nigerians to amplify their message and draw attention to their situation.

They said they were stranded in Senye, a village in the Bambari region of CAR.

Reacting, the Chairman of the committee, Jaafaru Yakubu, in a statement on Wednesday,  expressed concern over the situation.

“The committee regrets the unfortunate situation the Nigerian workers are being subjected to in CAR and assures that a comprehensive investigation is currently ongoing to unravel the circumstances that led to their ordeal,” Yakubu noted.

The statement also addressed the role of Abdulrauf Ademola, the businessman accused in the video.

According to the committee, Ademola had denied all allegations of passport seizure, non-payment of wages, and abandonment.

The committee urged the public not to associate Ademola’s alleged actions with legitimate Chinese businesses operating in Nigeria.

“It is also important to state that Abdulrauf Ademola, the businessman who allegedly abandoned the Nigerians in CAR, had issued a statement refuting the allegations made by the workers who accused him of passport seizure, unpaid salaries, and abandonment in the widely circulated video.

“The committee wishes to inform the general public that Abdulrauf Ademola is not affiliated with the Chinese Embassy or the China General Chamber of Commerce, and his actions or inactions should not be linked to the embassy or Chinese enterprises doing their legitimate businesses in Nigeria,” it said.

See also  FULL TEXT - Tinubu’s 65th Independence Day address to Nigerians

Yakubu also used the opportunity to reaffirm the strength of China-Nigeria ties, while appealing to the media and public to ensure accurate and balanced reporting.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government, on Tuesday, confirmed the rescue of the stranded workers.

The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kimiebi Ebienfa, in a statement, said, “Stranded Nigerian workers in the Central African Republic have been successfully rescued and are currently in the custody of the Embassy of Nigeria in Bangui.

“A very big commendation to the staff of the Embassy and the Government of the Central African Republic for the successful operation.”

Also, a statement by the Director of Media, Public Relations, and Protocols Unit at the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abdur-Rahman Balogun, said, “The stranded Nigerians in the Central African Republic have finally arrived at the Nigerian Embassy in Bangui.

“It will be recalled that through a viral video, some Nigerian miners called for help, and there was immediate intervention and swift response of officials of the Nigerian Embassy and CAR security who accompanied them from their location to the capital,” the statement said.

It added that the miners were under the care of embassy officials, who were making arrangements for their return to Nigeria.

“They are now in the safe hands of officials of the Nigerian Embassy, who will arrange their return home.

“They expressed gratitude to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and staff of both countries, the Nigerian Embassy, the CAR security agencies and Nigerians who shared their stories,” the statement added.

See also  FRSC records 10,446 crashes, 5,289 deaths in 2025

It stated that the Nigerian agent accused of luring them into the job and abandoning them had been identified and is currently in Nigeria.

“The agent who lured them into the job scam is currently based in Nigeria and has been identified and is expected to be prosecuted,” the statement concluded.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Tinubu, Fubara end foreign trips ahead of Ibas’ handover

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu, Fubara end foreign trips ahead of Ibas’ handover

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  US visa shockwave: Trump order may delay 5,000 intending Nigerian immigrants
Continue Reading

Trending