The Niger State Police Command has arrested 24 suspects for thuggery and armed robbery in Maitumbi area of Minna.
The spokesperson of the command, SP Wasiu Abiodun, who disclosed this in a statement on Friday, 1st August, 2025 said one automatic pump gun with two live cartridges, a bolt cutter, cutlasses, knives, scissors, shisha pots and other Illicit substances were recovered from the suspects.
“The Niger State Police Command under the leadership of CP Adamu Abdullahi Elleman, mnips intensifies the fight against the menace of thuggery, youth restiveness and armed robbery in Minna metropolis in which on 30th July, 2025 at about 3am – 5.30am, Police operatives of Anti-thuggery unit of SCID Minna with Maitumbi, Central Police Stations and vigilante members stormed areas of Angwa-Roka, Kwari-Berger, Flamingo and Tudun under Maitumbi area of Minna for a sting operation against thuggery, armed robbery and other social vices,” the statement read.
“In the course of the operation, twenty-four suspects were arrested at various locations within the area, and some of the suspects are; Abubakar Nura 23yrs of Angw/Roka, Auwal Mohammed 20yrs of Angw/Roka, Suleiman Hassan 21yrs of Angw/Roka, Alhassan Mohammed 19yrs of Maitumbi.
“These suspects were arrested in Angwan-Roka in a residence where one Saidu Umar Namaska, presently at large who is a notorious gang leader used as a hideout.
“A search was carried out in the house and the following exhibits were recovered; one automatic pump gun with two live cartridges, one bolt cutter, cutlasses, scissors, shisha pots and other Illicit substances.
“Other suspects arrested include; Usman Abubakar Bahago 18yrs of Maitumbi, Abubakar Sadiq Bahago 24yrs of Angw/Roka, Mubarak Abubakar 18yrs of Angw/Roka
“These miscreants were also arrested in another house where one Sudaise, another gang leader usually assembles his gang for their escapades. They were equally arrested with some dangerous weapons.”
“Among the suspects are; Jemilu Ibrahim 23yrs of Berger junction, Jemilu Ilyasu 16yrs of Kwari-Berger.
“The two suspects were found in a shop, and during an attempt to effect arrest, they threatened the security team members with a knife while they tried to escape through the rooftop. Exhibits of cutlasses and knives were found under their bed.
“Also, parts of the suspects include; Shafiu Umar Chukuli 30yrs of Maitumbi, Daniel Joseph 16yrs of Angwan-Gwari, Saidu Aminu Babayi 25yrs of Tudun, Maitumbi, Mustapha Mohammed 25yrs of Berger junction. This batch of gang was found in a house where a vigilante member was k!lled last year and it’s one the houses used as a hideout.
“Eleven others were also arrested in different situations within the areas at the early hours of the day. However, all suspects are under investigation and efforts to arrest other gang members are in progress.
“The Commissioner of Police assured members of the public that the Command would continue to be proactive in tackling crime and criminality in our environment, and urged all to continue to support the Police with the needed cooperation in addressing these challenges.”
The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.
The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.
According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.
The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.
“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.
“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.
“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.
“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.
“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”
Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.
The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.
A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.
“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.
The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.
According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.
Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.
“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read
“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”
The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.
He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.
According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.
He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.