Connect with us

News

Witness who sat beside Ibom Air passenger to testify in NCAA probe

Published

on

The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority says a verified eyewitness has come forward to give a first-hand account of the altercation between female passenger Comfort Emmanson and an Ibom Air crew member, which sparked nationwide debate and a wave of reactions on social media.

The NCAA’s Director of Public Affairs & Consumer Protection, Michael Achimugu, disclosed this on Wednesday in a post on X.com following his earlier post on Tuesday where he publicly appealed for other passengers aboard the August 10 Ibom Air Uyo–Lagos flight to come forward with verifiable accounts “in the interest of justice and fairness.”

Achimugu said the witness, who sat directly beside Emmanson during the flight, had contacted him, provided a boarding pass for verification, and offered testimony shedding new light on the events before the plane’s departure.

His post read, “The passenger seated right next to the lady in the viral videos has contacted me (also sent in his boarding pass) and given his account of the events that transpired on the aircraft before departure.

“Some aspects of his testimony offer an opportunity to look at other perspectives of this case, especially the behaviour of other actors involved and the manner of passenger handling before the flight took off.”

He added that although the witness would release a personal statement later in the day, the NCAA had issued a Letter of Investigation to Ibom Air and would invite the airline and other eyewitnesses to a meeting.

Achimugu wrote, “Although he says he will release a statement later today, the Authority has issued an LOI to Ibom Air and will invite both airline and eye witnesses to a meeting.

See also  Kano gov mourns bandit attack victim

“One is glad that a truly verifiable witness has come forward, and his statement makes me glad not to have listened to most of the fake audios and claims flying around social media.

“There is a lot to unbundle, and we will get to the root of it. Rest assured that every culpable party in this case will be held accountable.”

The spokesperson also reaffirmed the commitment of the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, SAN, and the NCAA to protecting the rights of all aviation stakeholders.

“Every data gathered from conversations and investigations is to assist in identifying the gaps and fixing them. Mediation is an acceptable form of conflict resolution, and the Minister has shown leadership as usual. The Authority will continue to protect the rights of all aviation consumers,:” he concluded.

The Federal Government has withdrawn its criminal complaint against Ms. Comfort Emmanson, the passenger accused of unruly behaviour aboard an Ibom Air flight, and reduced the flight ban imposed on Fuji music star Wasiu Ayinde Marshal, popularly known as KWAM 1.

Keyamo announced the decisions on Wednesday stating that the resolutions were reached after reviewing the incidents, considering appeals from well-meaning individuals, and considering the remorse shown by those involved.

He also revealed that Ibom Air has agreed to withdraw its complaint against Ms. Emmanson, who was arrested over the August 10 incident.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Free Nnamdi Kanu: ‘Nigeria is only mimicking democracy’ – Farotimi

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Herbert Macaulay, 174 others get Tinubu’s presidential pardon

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Nigeria not facing Christian genocide, says NOA boss
Continue Reading

Trending