Connect with us

News

11 electricity distribution companies owe Federation Account N2.6 trn

Published

on

Eleven Electricity Distribution Companies operating in the country owe the Federation Account the sum of ₦2.6 trillion, the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading Company (NBET) PLC has said.

Managing Director of NBET, Johnson Akinnawo disclosed the scale of the liabilities when he appeared before the House of Representatives Committee on Public Accounts on Wednesday, August 20.

The Committee has summoned the 11 electricity Distribution Companies (Discos) to appear before it over the outstanding debt.

Documents submitted to the committee by NBET revealed that as at September 30, 2020, the 11 Discos collectively owe N2.6 trillion.

The DISCOs are Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (₦330.4 billion); Eko Electricity Distribution Company (₦231 billion); Benin Electricity Distribution Company (₦233.2 billion); Enugu Electricity Distribution Company (₦258.3 billion) and Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (₦325.7 billion).

The others are Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (₦310 billion); Jos Electricity Distribution Company (₦161.7 billion); Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (₦277.7 billion); Kano Electricity Distribution Company (₦211.7 billion); Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (₦239.7 billion) and Yola Electricity Distribution Company (107.4 billion).

The 2021 Auditor General’s report, which prompted the hearing also flagged multiple irregularities in the power sector.

The Auditor General alleged N30 billion in uncollected debt by NBET from market operators, N549 million shortfall in NBET’s 1% income from institutional charges, N100 billion paid by NBET to Generation Companies (GENCOs) for electricity not delivered to the national grid, N26 billion owed to Nigeria by two foreign firms for power exported to Togo, Benin, and Niger, N166 billion in under-remittance by Discos, below the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission’s (NERC) minimum threshold and N2.7 billion in unpaid invoices by the 11 Discos.

See also  Presidency Releases Names Of Some People Tinubu Granted National Pardon

At the investigative hearing, Yahya Kusada moved a motion that all the 11 Discos be summoned to explain the persistent non-settlement of their financial obligations to the Federation Account and seconded by Billy Osawaru.

“With the magnitude of liabilities before us, it is imperative that these companies appear before the Committee to clarify their positions and outline plans for repayment,” Hon. Yahya Kusada said.

The Committee has also resolved to invite other market operators and participants to address concerns raised in the Auditor General’s report, with a date for the appearances to be communicated to the affected parties in due course.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Oyo, UNICEF seek stiffer legal actions against female genital mutilation

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Man Escapes Death After Truck Crashes From Oshodi Bridge

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Presidency Releases Names Of Some People Tinubu Granted National Pardon
Continue Reading

Trending