Connect with us

News

Presidency backs EFCC on Atiku’s son-in-law hunt

Published

on

The Presidency has thrown its weight behind the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission after the anti-graft agency declared Abdullahi Haske, businessman and son-in-law to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, wanted over alleged criminal conspiracy and money laundering.

Haske, founder of AA & R Investment Group, was placed on EFCC’s wanted list after allegedly breaching the terms of his administrative bail and failing to honour invitations by the commission.

According to an insider in EFCC, the businessman has been under investigation for some months over alleged corruption and disappeared after securing bail.

“His case with the EFCC has been ongoing for some time, and he was duly invited. He is facing corruption allegations but failed to comply with the conditions of his administrative bail.

“He was expected to report regularly to the commission as investigations progressed, but since securing bail, he has gone into hiding.

“He would not have been declared wanted if he had remained in the country and honoured our invitations. His refusal to appear is the reason the EFCC had to declare him wanted,” the source said.

In a notice signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the EFCC urged members of the public with information on Haske’s whereabouts to report to the nearest police station or any of its offices nationwide.

The agency listed his last known addresses in Ikoyi and Victoria Island, Lagos, and provided contact numbers and an email for tips.

Haske’s company, AA & R Investment Group, with interests in energy, agribusiness, logistics, and ICT, had earlier been linked to investigations involving alleged multimillion-dollar transfers from the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

See also  Reps approve $347m loan for Lagos-Calabar highway, others

Reacting to the development, Atiku’s media aide, Paul Ibe, alleged political persecution, claiming that the investigation could be an attempt by President Bola Tinubu’s administration to target opposition figures.

“Our concern is that we hope the young man is not being victimised on account of being an in-law to the former Vice President. Tinubu has shown the capacity to use the instrument of the state to harass and intimidate opposition,” he said.

But the Presidency dismissed the allegations as unfounded.

Speaking through Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Sunday Dare, the presidency insisted that EFCC was acting within its mandate.

“There is no harassment or victimisation here, only the independent and lawful operation of Nigeria’s anti-corruption institutions. No one is above the law,” he said.

Dare stated that Tinubu’s administration was committed to strengthening the rule of law and ensuring due process, contrasting it with past governments that allegedly weaponised state institutions for political witch-hunts.

He said, “Those attempting to politicise the arrest of a son-in-law to a  former Vice President, are simply grasping at straws. No one is above the law, and without strong institutions that act without fear or favour, no country can truly progress.

Speaking further, the President’s spokesman said, “The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is carrying out its statutory duties, as expected of every agency under the law.

“President Bola Tinubu does not abuse the powers of his office, unlike those who once weaponised state institutions for political witch-hunts. This administration is committed to strengthening the rule of law, ensuring due process, and expediting investigations and prosecutions backed by credible evidence.”

See also  APC will win 2027 elections convincingly, Yilwatda boasts

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Reps approve $347m loan for Lagos-Calabar highway, others

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  SSANU and NASU extend ultimatum on Strike
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  See full list of AFCON 2025 award winners

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Sultan-Led NSCIA Slams Southern Resistance To Sharia Panels Establishment

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending