Connect with us

News

Presidency backs EFCC on Atiku’s son-in-law hunt

Published

on

The Presidency has thrown its weight behind the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission after the anti-graft agency declared Abdullahi Haske, businessman and son-in-law to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, wanted over alleged criminal conspiracy and money laundering.

Haske, founder of AA & R Investment Group, was placed on EFCC’s wanted list after allegedly breaching the terms of his administrative bail and failing to honour invitations by the commission.

According to an insider in EFCC, the businessman has been under investigation for some months over alleged corruption and disappeared after securing bail.

“His case with the EFCC has been ongoing for some time, and he was duly invited. He is facing corruption allegations but failed to comply with the conditions of his administrative bail.

“He was expected to report regularly to the commission as investigations progressed, but since securing bail, he has gone into hiding.

“He would not have been declared wanted if he had remained in the country and honoured our invitations. His refusal to appear is the reason the EFCC had to declare him wanted,” the source said.

In a notice signed by its Head of Media and Publicity, Dele Oyewale, the EFCC urged members of the public with information on Haske’s whereabouts to report to the nearest police station or any of its offices nationwide.

The agency listed his last known addresses in Ikoyi and Victoria Island, Lagos, and provided contact numbers and an email for tips.

Haske’s company, AA & R Investment Group, with interests in energy, agribusiness, logistics, and ICT, had earlier been linked to investigations involving alleged multimillion-dollar transfers from the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

See also  We’ll support Nigeria in fight against terrorism – France

Reacting to the development, Atiku’s media aide, Paul Ibe, alleged political persecution, claiming that the investigation could be an attempt by President Bola Tinubu’s administration to target opposition figures.

“Our concern is that we hope the young man is not being victimised on account of being an in-law to the former Vice President. Tinubu has shown the capacity to use the instrument of the state to harass and intimidate opposition,” he said.

But the Presidency dismissed the allegations as unfounded.

Speaking through Special Adviser on Media and Communication, Sunday Dare, the presidency insisted that EFCC was acting within its mandate.

“There is no harassment or victimisation here, only the independent and lawful operation of Nigeria’s anti-corruption institutions. No one is above the law,” he said.

Dare stated that Tinubu’s administration was committed to strengthening the rule of law and ensuring due process, contrasting it with past governments that allegedly weaponised state institutions for political witch-hunts.

He said, “Those attempting to politicise the arrest of a son-in-law to a  former Vice President, are simply grasping at straws. No one is above the law, and without strong institutions that act without fear or favour, no country can truly progress.

Speaking further, the President’s spokesman said, “The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission is carrying out its statutory duties, as expected of every agency under the law.

“President Bola Tinubu does not abuse the powers of his office, unlike those who once weaponised state institutions for political witch-hunts. This administration is committed to strengthening the rule of law, ensuring due process, and expediting investigations and prosecutions backed by credible evidence.”

See also  Tinubu hails Nigerian global English champions

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Alleged Christian Genocide: US Congress split over Nigeria’s CPC designation

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  US expands travel restrictions, adds Nigeria to list of countries

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  I’m not in supremacy battle with any monarch- Alaafin
Continue Reading

Trending