Connect with us

News

Local Residents beg FG as Osun, Ondo federal roads crumble

Published

on

Commuters and residents of Osun and Ondo states have decried the deplorable state of federal roads in the two states, calling for urgent government intervention.

In Osun, users of the Ilesa–Akure Expressway particularly lamented the Osu/Iwaraja corridor, describing it as a nightmare for motorists.

Speaking at Iloko Junction—one of the worst-hit portions of the road—a resident, Tomisin Olatunde, said the Federal Road Maintenance Agency had at different times patched bad spots, but such interventions provided only temporary relief.

“With what we are experiencing now, only complete removal and replacement of the asphalt can solve the problem. The road stretches from Ile-Ife to Osu, Ilesa and Iwaraja, linking Osun and Ondo states. Between March and June this year, several serious accidents were recorded between Iloko Junction and the Road Safety office along the expressway,” Olatunde said.

A driver, Razaq Akinleye, who has plied the road for 15 years, said the last major reconstruction was done before the 2015 elections. He described the ongoing expansion works from Ilekki, Ilesa, as “too little compared to the magnitude of the challenge.”

“FRSC officers even filled some bad portions earlier this year to prevent accidents, but that can’t solve the problem. Beyond mere clearing, we need a total overhaul of the road. The patching by FERMA only lasts about three months before the spots go bad again.

The bad portions also give robbers and kidnappers an advantage since vehicles must slow down there,” Akinleye lamented.

Osun State Commissioner for Information, Kolapo Alimi, said the state was already assisting in repairing some federal roads but urged Abuja to take full responsibility.

See also  Trump vows to push homeless people out of US capital

“We are involved in the repair of some FG roads in Osun. On that particular road, I want to urge the Federal Government to live up to its responsibility and fix it,” Alimi said.

Similarly, residents of communities along the Akure–Ado Ekiti Expressway in Ondo State appealed to both federal and state governments to expedite the ongoing reconstruction of the road.

The project, which commenced towards the end of the Muhammadu Buhari administration, has dragged on for years, worsening traffic congestion and making life difficult for residents. Before the project started, the road had become a death trap, with criminals exploiting its poor state to kidnap travellers for ransom.

During a recent inspection, Minister of Works, David Umahi, announced that the Akure–Ita-Ogbolu–Iju–Ado road would be redesigned and rebuilt with concrete.

But residents say the delay is unbearable. A native of the Iju community, Olamide Babalayo, urged the government to hasten the project.

“The last time I drove home was terrible. We commend the FG for taking action, but they should expedite the work. People in the community are suffering, especially during this rainy season,” he said.

A commercial driver, Kunle, stressed the road’s economic importance, saying transporters were spending excessively on vehicle repairs.

“The road is vital for business between Ondo and Ekiti states. The government should complete it on time so economic activities can flow better,” he said.

When contacted, the Chief Press Secretary to Ondo State Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa, Ebenezer Adeniyan, acknowledged that the road is a federal responsibility but expressed optimism that the situation would soon improve.

See also  PHOTOS: Missing Nigerian woman found d3ad in US

“I think the situation will improve now that the rains have ceased,” he said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FG issues compliance directive to MDAs on equipment leasing procedures

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Reno Omokri lists ’21 economic miracles under Tinubu’
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  PHOTOS: Missing Nigerian woman found d3ad in US

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Putin expresses interest in meeting Trump as White House Presses for Ukraine Peace deal

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending