Connect with us

Education

ASUU, VCs decry Profs’ N525,000 monthly pay – Strike Looms

Published

on

Following the conclusion of its nationwide protests on Tuesday, members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities are set to hold congresses to decide their next line of action.

This comes as the Federal Government meets today to address long-standing agitations over the implementation of the renegotiated 2009 FGN-ASUU agreement, which triggered nationwide protests across universities on Tuesday.

Earlier this year, the President Bola Tinubu administration released N50bn to settle earned academic allowances owed to university lecturers and staff.

However, ASUU has consistently demanded clear commitments on improved salaries, conditions of service, university funding, autonomy, and a review of laws governing the National Universities Commission and the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board.

The meeting, expected to be attended by the Minister of Education, Dr. Tunji Alausa; the Minister of Labour and Employment, Muhammadu Maigari Dingyadi; and representatives of the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission, is expected to produce a timetable for signing and the phased implementation of the renegotiated agreement, along with related reports.

Government sources in the Education and Labour ministries said that today’s discussions would focus on reconciling the Yayale Ahmed committee draft concluded in December 2024 with the original 2009 agreement and subsequent recommendations, including the Nimi Briggs report.

Also on the table is how to phase the fiscal commitments into the national budget and produce a legally binding instrument for signature.

Speaking with our correspondent on Wednesday, ASUU president, Prof. Chris Piwuna, said the union expected commitment from the government.

“I truly hope they will come up with something tangible. Our members are tired of words and no action.”

Piwuna, however, clarified that ASUU was not invited for today’s meeting.

Piwuna affirmed that the union was done with nationwide protests and was poised to hold congresses to decide on its next line of action.

“We don’t have any meeting with the Federal Government tomorrow (today). It’s their meeting, we’re not involved. We have not received any invitation yet for a meeting with the Federal Government.

“However, we’ll let Nigerians know our next line of action after the protests. We operate from the bottom up. The protests are over, so we’ll go back to our members and ask them what is next, and we’ll do exactly what they want us to do as elected representatives,” Piwuna said.

See also  Coalition demands Atiku and Obi’s full membership on 2027 Presidency

Ahead of Tuesday’s protests, ASUU branches had warned that their patience was exhausted after the renegotiation concluded in December 2024 and was formally submitted to the government in February.

At a press conference in Abuja, ASUU’s Abuja zonal coordinator, Prof. Al-Amin Abdullahi, said the union had fulfilled its part of the bargain and expected the government to adopt the report without delay.

He noted that earlier reports never advanced beyond “filing cabinets” and stressed that failure to act could trigger another shutdown of public universities.

ASUU had also rejected the government’s offer of loan-style “support funds” in place of cash entitlements.

Today’s meeting comes as ASUU members had consistently lamented poor pay, worsening state of academics, with professors earning about N500,000 monthly, sleeping in officers ‘ quarters, and reportedly struggling to join buses meant for students.

Documents obtained show that under the Consolidated University Academic Salary structure, Graduate Assistants earn between N125,000 and N138,020 monthly, while professors earn between N525,010 and N633,333.

Assistant Lecturers earn between N150,000 and N171,487; Lecturer II (N186,543–N209,693); Lecturer I (N239,292–N281,956); Senior Lecturer (N386,101–N480,780); and Readers (N436,392–N522,212).

A former Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos, Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, lamented the erosion of morale among lecturers.

Ogundipe said, “The lecturers are tired, the morale is low, and lecturers are poorly paid. Academic staff members are on the edge, itching to leave. The standard of teaching is going down. As Vice Chancellor, I earned N900,000 as salary. My present salary as a professor, still in the system, is N700,000. My son saw my pay slip and described it as a joke. Do you know that some lecturers sleep in the office?”

ASUU president Piwuna said many lecturers earned just over N400,000 and accused the government of neglecting academics while prioritising pay raises for politicians.

He described as unsurprising the FG neglects the lecturers while the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission was proposing an upward review of the salaries of public office holders.

He added that stagnant salaries had crippled universities’ ability to attract quality lecturers, worsened morale, and affected output.

Piwuna said, “Well, from experience, Nigerian elites or the political class always look after themselves. So, we’re not surprised that the arms of government that Nigerians are most dissatisfied with are the ones that are getting the pay rise, while those who work day and night to ensure that the country keeps moving, who are making tangible contributions to the growth of this country, are being neglected.

See also  How UNILAG final year student drowned in Lagos beach

“Our salaries have remained stagnant, and that has affected the quality of lecturers that we can attract into the universities. That has also affected our morale, and because our morale is low, certainly the output would also be affected. And so our salaries have been a major area of concern for our members.

“Our salaries, our condition of service have always been a product of collective bargaining. And the last time this was done was in 2009. Talking about increases, for instance, this government has made an increase through the minimum wage, but all that was added to our salaries, and it’s for every public service, is N40,000.

“So, professors that were earning a little over N400,000 have still not been able to get to the N500,000 mark that you’re talking about, except for professors that have had annual increases for maybe 10, 20 years.”

In the same vein, a Senior Lecturer, Department of Economics, University of Lagos, Prof. Tunde Adeoye, urged the Federal Government to urgently review salaries of lecturers to avert another industrial strike.

According to him, the Federal Government needs to be sensitive to the plight of lecturers and engage them in renegotiating the 2009 agreement, adding that the major issue is improving the salary structure of academics.

Adeoye stressed the need for the Federal Government to increase the salaries of university lecturers to reflect the current economic realities in the country.

He added that the salary of a professor in a Nigerian university was about N500,000 without any deductions, adding that after deductions, it comes to about N300,000.

He noted that in some African countries like Kenya and Zimbabwe, lecturers were paid better than in Nigeria, and urged the federal government to make concerted efforts toward improving the living standards of lecturers and their condition of service to prevent brain drain.

Adeoye said, “The ASUU members equally have families and aged parents to cater for. As it is now, many of our members cannot pay their house rents.

See also  FG to unveil ₦50m grant for STEMM students

“Many of our members who were sick have died, while some with hypertension cannot even afford to buy their routine drugs.”

In the same vein, Secretary of the Committee of Vice Chancellors, Prof. Andrew Haruna, faulted successive Nigerian governments for neglecting the education sector and reducing the value of academics to mere salary figures, stressing that what lecturers truly need is an enabling environment to teach, research, and contribute meaningfully to national development.

Speaking with The PUNCH, Haruna, who has taught in over 10 European universities, lamented that academics in Nigeria were undervalued compared to their peers abroad.

Haruna said, “I have taught in many countries in Europe. If you go through my CV, you will see that I taught in more than 10 different universities in Europe, and I was trained in Europe, and I came back to Nigeria to help. Now, if I were trained in Europe, I would know what I am worth.

“So, if you get just a meagre salary in Nigeria, just because I have decided to come and contribute, it simply shows the kind of leadership we have. Do they really respect the Nigerian citizens? If they respect the Nigerian citizens, do they really respect the Nigerian academia?”

He argued that the problem was not just low pay, but the lack of infrastructure and conducive conditions for intellectual work.

On the international value of academics, he stressed that professors remained globally mobile, unlike many other professions.

He added, “If I earn $4,000 a month and I decide to come to Nigeria and you pay me N400,000, you simply show the kind of value you put on me. Professors, academics, are highly mobile. We are the only category of workers who have a professor in Nigeria, a professor in America, and a professor in Germany. Just like the degree we get in a Nigerian university, the Nigerian student will go to America and do a master’s degree, and go to Japan and do a PhD. So, this is the only job that is international.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Education

Kebbi, Sokoto adjust school calendars for Ramadan

Published

on

Authorities in Kebbi State and Sokoto State have adjusted their 2025/2026 academic calendars to accommodate the ongoing Ramadan fast, reshuffling term dates and holiday periods across schools.

In Kebbi State, the Kebbi State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) extended the ongoing Second Term by two weeks, altering the earlier timetable for the Ramadan break in all public and private primary schools.

Under the revised schedule, the term, previously set to end on February 13, 2026, will now run until February 27, 2026.

” The Ramadan break will begin on February 28 and end on March 21, while schools are to resume on March 22 to complete the term, now slated to close on May 1, 2026″

In a statement issued in Birnin Kebbi on Thursday, SUBEB said the adjustment was approved by the state Ministry for Basic and Secondary Education to ensure adequate academic coverage before the break.

“The extension of the Second Term by two weeks is aimed at allowing schools sufficient time to complete instructional activities and other academic engagements before the Ramadan break,” the statement said.

The board directed Education Secretaries, Head Teachers and School Administrators to strictly comply with the revised calendar to guarantee smooth implementation.

The updated academic plan shows that the First Term ran from August 24 to December 12, 2025, followed by a three-week holiday, while the Third Term is scheduled to begin on May 24 and end on August 14, 2026.

Similarly, the Sokoto State Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education announced adjustments to its calendar in preparation for Sallah.

See also  International Day Of Education 2026: FG Reaffirms Youth-led, Skills-Driven, Future Ready Supports

In a statement dated February 19, 2026, the Permanent Secretary, Dr. Sanusi Aliyu Binji, said the revised timetable was approved to ensure effective planning and coordination of school activities statewide.

According to the ministry, the Ramadan break will commence on March 6 and end on March 29, 2026, after which academic activities will resume as scheduled.

Both states urged principals, parents and guardians to take note of the changes and support efforts to maintain academic standards during the holy month of Ramadan, a period marked by fasting, prayer and reflection for Muslims.

Education officials say the adjustments are part of routine measures in northern Nigeria to balance religious observances with uninterrupted learning.

Continue Reading

Education

FG plans military medical college to tackle 340,000 doctor shortfall

Published

on

The Federal Government has announced plans to establish the Armed Forces College of Medicine and Health Sciences as part of efforts to address Nigeria’s estimated shortfall of 340,000 doctors.

The decision followed a high-level meeting involving the Minister of Education, Maruf Alausa; the Minister of State for Education, Suiwaba Ahmed; and the Minister of Defence, Christopher Musa, alongside other stakeholders in the education, defence and health sectors.

The development was disclosed in a statement signed by the Director of Press and Public Relations at the Federal Ministry of Education, Boriowo Folasade, on Friday.

According to the statement, Nigeria’s population has exceeded 240 million, while only 189 medical professionals are currently serving within the Armed Forces.

“While the nation’s population exceeds 240 million, only 189 medical professionals currently serve within the Defence Forces.

“He further highlighted Nigeria’s broader deficit of approximately 340,000 doctors, stressing the urgent need for scalable and innovative training models,” the statement read in part.

The proposed AFCOM&HS is designed “as a strategic national intervention to strengthen military healthcare services, address critical manpower shortages within the Armed Forces, and expand Nigeria’s overall medical training capacity.

“It will further position Nigeria as a regional hub for military medical training in West Africa.”

As part of broader reforms, the government said it has increased annual medical school admissions from about 5,000 to nearly 10,000, with projections to scale up to approximately 19,000 in the coming years.

The ministry noted that the new college would form a critical component of this expansion strategy, aimed at building a sustainable pipeline of combat casualty-trained doctors, surgeons, trauma specialists, emergency response medics, military public health and disaster response professionals, as well as other allied health personnel.

See also  PDP governors warn Wike camp, says party won’t bow to impunity

The initiative aligns with the administration’s education reform agenda, with emphasis on strengthening science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medical sciences.

According to the statement, the college will operate within the existing university framework of the Nigerian Defence Academy in compliance with the Federal Government’s seven-year moratorium on new tertiary institutions and in line with the directive of President Bola Tinubu.

Clinical training will take place in accredited federal and military hospitals.

Medical cadets will gain admission through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board and, upon completion of their training, will be commissioned as Captains in the Armed Forces.

A Technical Working Group comprising representatives of the Federal Ministry of Education, Ministry of Defence, Nigerian Defence Academy, MODHIP, the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, the National Universities Commission, JAMB and other regulatory bodies has been constituted to oversee compliance and quality assurance.

The government said the necessary processes are being put in place for admissions to commence by October or November 2026.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Education

PICTURES: Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

Published

on

Babagana Zulum, Governor of Borno State, has approved a N12.9 billion scholarship scheme to sponsor 54 indigenes of the state to study aeronautics and engineering, alongside various professional certifications, at Isaac Balami University of Aeronautics and Management.

The Senior Technical Assistant to the governor on Print and Digital Communications, Abdulrahman Bundi, said in a statement on Friday that the training programme covers basic pilot training.

PHOTOS: Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

It includes 10 beneficiaries specialising in Aerospace Engineering, 11 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, 11 in Mechatronics Engineering, 12 in Software Engineering, and 10 in Systems Engineering.

At a brief ceremony held at the Government House in Maiduguri on Thursday night, he said, “Zulum presented a cheque for N2.5 billion to the institution, covering the annual tuition and associated expenses, with the 5-year total package valued at N12.9 billion”

Addressing the beneficiaries, Zulum charged them to remain focused and dedicated to their studies.

Zulum during the cheque presentation

He emphasised that the selection process was deliberately designed to ensure equity across the state, with two students chosen from each of Borno’s 27 Local Government Areas.

“What matters most is not just gaining admission, but how focused you will be in your studies. I advise you to remain dedicated and become good ambassadors of our state,” the governor stated.

In addition to funding their education, the governor announced an immediate financial support package of N500,000 per student to cover resumption logistics and other incidental expenses.

Giving an overview of the selection process, the State Commissioner for Education, Lawan Abba Wakilbe, revealed that the scholarship attracted interest from across the state.

See also  PENGASSAN backs NUPENG, threatens shutdown of Dangote refinery
PHOTOS: Zulum approves N12.9bn aeronautics scholarship for 54 Borno students

He disclosed that the ministry received over 3,000 applications.

According to the commissioner, the large pool was initially shortlisted to 1,200 candidates, who were then subjected to a written examination, from which the final 54 successful candidates emerged.

“These programmes reflect Governor Zulum’s commitment to human capital development, youth empowerment and investment in education,” Wakilbe said.

The founder of the university, Isaac Balami, an indigene of Borno State, commended Governor Zulum for the initiative, while assuring the government that the students would receive world-class training.

He expressed confidence that they would be among those who would eventually build the first made-in-Nigeria aircraft.

Continue Reading

Trending