Connect with us

News

Shettima urges 50% reduction in road crash deaths by 2030

Published

on

Vice President Kashim Shettima has called for concrete and collaborative efforts to reduce road crash fatalities and injuries in Nigeria by 50 per cent by the year 2030.

Shettima urged stakeholders to embrace global best practices and implement realistic strategies to enhance safety on the nation’s highways.

He made the call at the 8th Annual Lecture Series of the Federal Road Safety Corps on Wednesday in Abuja.

The event brought together government officials, transport experts, and road safety stakeholders to discuss the theme, “Road Safety Management and Emerging Transportation Trends: Global Partnership and Optimal Performance.”

FRSC had revealed that between January and June 2025 alone, 5,281 crashes were recorded, involving 39,793 individuals. Of these, 2,838 lives were lost while 17,818 people were rescued.

In his keynote address, Shettima described the theme as timely and relevant, noting that it aims to address the growing challenges in the road transportation sector by drawing on international best practices.

“Indeed the theme of this lecture is timely. It also seeks to address the challenges of emerging trend in road transportation using global partnership as leverage to adopt global best practices on road safety issues.

“I also urge you all to deliberate on practicable and applicable measures that will sanitise our highways with a view to achieving the target of 50 per cent reduction of crash fatalities/injuries by the year 2030,” Shettima said.

The Vice President said the annual lecture series is an opportunity for the FRSC to “review its performance, identify areas of need, and raise awareness on road safety issues in Nigeria.”

See also  Lagos women plan nude protest over ancestral home destruction

He noted that previous editions of the series had contributed to positive outcomes, including safer driving habits and improved emergency response.

Highlighting the FRSC’s growing regional influence, the Vice President commended the Corps for its achievements.

“I wish to commend the FRSC for its numerous laudable achievements, which placed Nigeria on the focus as a lead country in road safety management in the West Africa sub-region as well as in Africa in general,” he said.

Shettima reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to supporting the FRSC, especially through legislative backing and institutional strengthening.

He noted that the FRSC Amendment Bill had already passed third reading in the House of Representatives and is awaiting concurrence in the Senate.

“I wish to assure you that the government will continue to promote compliance to global best practices in road safety by supporting innovations that strengthen the Corps to ensure compliance to road safety laws and regulations,” he added.

Shettima urged participants to focus on actionable outcomes that can directly improve safety on Nigerian roads.

In his goodwill message, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume, called for intensified efforts in road safety management across Nigeria, urging FRSC and stakeholders to aim for a “zero-death” record during the forthcoming Ember Months.

“As we deliberate on the way forward, I enjoin the corps to put up practicable measures towards achieving zero deaths in road crashes during the Yuletide and the New Year celebrations,” he stated.

Akume commended the corps for its consistent efforts in promoting road safety awareness, vehicle maintenance, and standard-setting for fleet operators nationwide.

See also  US civil rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson dies aged 84

He highlighted that while developed nations have adopted stringent measures to sanitise their road networks, the FRSC’s lecture series offers Nigeria a valuable opportunity to assess and enhance its performance in line with global best practices.

He added that the FRSC’s efforts are in alignment with the President’s Renewed Hope Agenda, particularly in promoting sustainable and safe mobility for Nigerians.

In his address, the FRSC Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed called for renewed national and global partnerships to tackle Nigeria’s persistent road safety challenges.

The event marked the revival of the FRSC Lecture Series, which was last held in 2017. Mohammed explained that the decision to bring back the series in 2025 aligns with FG’s Renewed Hope Agenda and aims to promote sustainable transportation and public health.

“The theme was also carefully selected to align with the United Nations Assembly resolutions for Africa to implement measures that could reduce road crash fatalities and injuries by 50 per cent by the year 2030,” he said.

Despite the FRSC’s efforts in enforcement, public enlightenment, and advocacy, Mohammed acknowledged the ongoing challenges reflected in Nigeria’s road crash data.

“Current data on road crashes reveal a yearly average of about 5,000 persons killed and 31,154 persons injured.

“These figures underscore the need for the corps to do more in harnessing resources towards implementing the national road safety development plan as captured in the National Road Safety Strategy document,” he said.

See also  FATF removes Nigeria from global financial watchlist

The corps marshal expressed optimism that the resolutions from the lecture would translate into effective policies and behavioural change on Nigerian roads.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Names, profiles of 16 Nigerian military officers detained for alleged coup plot. . .

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Free Nnamdi Kanu: ‘Nigeria is only mimicking democracy’ – Farotimi

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  FATF removes Nigeria from global financial watchlist
Continue Reading

Trending