Connect with us

News

Shettima urges 50% reduction in road crash deaths by 2030

Published

on

Vice President Kashim Shettima has called for concrete and collaborative efforts to reduce road crash fatalities and injuries in Nigeria by 50 per cent by the year 2030.

Shettima urged stakeholders to embrace global best practices and implement realistic strategies to enhance safety on the nation’s highways.

He made the call at the 8th Annual Lecture Series of the Federal Road Safety Corps on Wednesday in Abuja.

The event brought together government officials, transport experts, and road safety stakeholders to discuss the theme, “Road Safety Management and Emerging Transportation Trends: Global Partnership and Optimal Performance.”

FRSC had revealed that between January and June 2025 alone, 5,281 crashes were recorded, involving 39,793 individuals. Of these, 2,838 lives were lost while 17,818 people were rescued.

In his keynote address, Shettima described the theme as timely and relevant, noting that it aims to address the growing challenges in the road transportation sector by drawing on international best practices.

“Indeed the theme of this lecture is timely. It also seeks to address the challenges of emerging trend in road transportation using global partnership as leverage to adopt global best practices on road safety issues.

“I also urge you all to deliberate on practicable and applicable measures that will sanitise our highways with a view to achieving the target of 50 per cent reduction of crash fatalities/injuries by the year 2030,” Shettima said.

The Vice President said the annual lecture series is an opportunity for the FRSC to “review its performance, identify areas of need, and raise awareness on road safety issues in Nigeria.”

See also  #FreeNnamdiKanu: Protest wave hits Abuja, paralyses S’East states

He noted that previous editions of the series had contributed to positive outcomes, including safer driving habits and improved emergency response.

Highlighting the FRSC’s growing regional influence, the Vice President commended the Corps for its achievements.

“I wish to commend the FRSC for its numerous laudable achievements, which placed Nigeria on the focus as a lead country in road safety management in the West Africa sub-region as well as in Africa in general,” he said.

Shettima reiterated the Federal Government’s commitment to supporting the FRSC, especially through legislative backing and institutional strengthening.

He noted that the FRSC Amendment Bill had already passed third reading in the House of Representatives and is awaiting concurrence in the Senate.

“I wish to assure you that the government will continue to promote compliance to global best practices in road safety by supporting innovations that strengthen the Corps to ensure compliance to road safety laws and regulations,” he added.

Shettima urged participants to focus on actionable outcomes that can directly improve safety on Nigerian roads.

In his goodwill message, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Senator George Akume, called for intensified efforts in road safety management across Nigeria, urging FRSC and stakeholders to aim for a “zero-death” record during the forthcoming Ember Months.

“As we deliberate on the way forward, I enjoin the corps to put up practicable measures towards achieving zero deaths in road crashes during the Yuletide and the New Year celebrations,” he stated.

Akume commended the corps for its consistent efforts in promoting road safety awareness, vehicle maintenance, and standard-setting for fleet operators nationwide.

See also  Cross River State Assembly approves N642bn supplementary budget for 2025

He highlighted that while developed nations have adopted stringent measures to sanitise their road networks, the FRSC’s lecture series offers Nigeria a valuable opportunity to assess and enhance its performance in line with global best practices.

He added that the FRSC’s efforts are in alignment with the President’s Renewed Hope Agenda, particularly in promoting sustainable and safe mobility for Nigerians.

In his address, the FRSC Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed called for renewed national and global partnerships to tackle Nigeria’s persistent road safety challenges.

The event marked the revival of the FRSC Lecture Series, which was last held in 2017. Mohammed explained that the decision to bring back the series in 2025 aligns with FG’s Renewed Hope Agenda and aims to promote sustainable transportation and public health.

“The theme was also carefully selected to align with the United Nations Assembly resolutions for Africa to implement measures that could reduce road crash fatalities and injuries by 50 per cent by the year 2030,” he said.

Despite the FRSC’s efforts in enforcement, public enlightenment, and advocacy, Mohammed acknowledged the ongoing challenges reflected in Nigeria’s road crash data.

“Current data on road crashes reveal a yearly average of about 5,000 persons killed and 31,154 persons injured.

“These figures underscore the need for the corps to do more in harnessing resources towards implementing the national road safety development plan as captured in the National Road Safety Strategy document,” he said.

See also  Trump sends letter of support on Ukraine’s Independence Day as Zelensky declares Kyiv ‘will not lose’ the war

The corps marshal expressed optimism that the resolutions from the lecture would translate into effective policies and behavioural change on Nigerian roads.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  FRSC deploys 1889 personnel in Kano ahead of Eid-el-Kabir celebration

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  #FreeNnamdiKanu: Protest wave hits Abuja, paralyses S’East states
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Why I accepted renaming of National Theatre after me – Soyinka

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending