Connect with us

Crime

Police arrest seven over Niger varsity student’s death

Published

on

The Niger State Police Command has arrested seven suspects in connection with cult-related activities at Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai, following the killing of a student earlier this year.

This was disclosed in a statement made available on Tuesday by the state Police Public Relations Officer, Wasiu Abiodun.

The command recalled that on June 23, 2025, at about 3am, there was a report of an unfortunate attack on a student of the IBBUL identified as Abdulwahab Jafar, 23 years of Paiko at his lodge in the school, among other attacks leading to the loss of life of the said student.

According to the police, the June 23 incident sparked unrest in the Lapai community, prompting the deployment of tactical teams to restore normalcy. Subsequent investigations by the Command, jointly conducted by the Tactical Support Team and the Force Intelligence Department, led to the arrest of 19 persons across Lapai and other locations in the state.

Wasiu said the investigation was later narrowed down to seven suspects on charges including criminal conspiracy, robbery, unlawful society, internet fraud, possession of dangerous weapons, and suspected culpable homicide.

Abiodun said the suspects are ”Idris Hamza, 27, and Suleiman Damilare, 27, both of Maikunkele; Abdulsemiu Bashir, 23, of Lapai; Bawa Aliyu, 27, of Suleja; Yakubu Musa, 24, of Maikunkele; Samson Abbah, 28, of Rafin-Yanshi; and Solomon Musa, 28, of Maitumbi.”

Abiodun said Idris Hamza and Suleiman Damilare were arrested “on June 27 at Fadikpe with cannabis, charms, and local black soaps with a Toyota Corolla vehicle at one Abdullahi Ahmed a.k.a catch-up residence.

See also  ICE arrests 67-year-old Nigerian man convicted of cocaine trafficking in U.S

“The suspects confessed to members of Neo Black Movement of Africa (NBM) and further confessed to having carried out a series of cultist activities in IBBUL such as initiation of members e.g Jolijoli and other members,’’ Abiodun said.

The statement added that Abdulsemiu Bashir, suspected to be a rival member of the group known as VIKINGS, was arrested in Lapai on June 29.

Police found him in possession of “16 SIM cards, POS machine and sum of seventy-seven thousand naira. He claimed that he bought the SIM cards from one Audu, another member of VIKINGS presently at large.

“The SIM cards were confirmed to be from stolen/robbed phones of victims,” Abiodun said.

Bawa Aliyu, Yakubu Musa, Samson Abbah, and Solomon Musa were also linked to cult-related robberies and attacks on students, the statement said.

According to Abiodun, “Samson Abbah “was also mentioned as the group Admin officer of their WhatsApp platform for Minna zone.

“The platform was named as ‘Men that matters’ before he changed it to ‘Football News’, where they discussed their nefarious activities,” Abiodun said.

Abiodun said investigation is ongoing, “and effort to identify either VIKINGS or NBM members responsible for the attack of the deceased is intensified, as it was established that the attack was cultists related.

“Further development will be made public.”

In a separate operation, three suspects were arrested for conspiracy and theft of motorcycles. On September 9, Bashir Yahaya, 23, of Fadikpe, was intercepted with a sack containing motorcycle parts.

“He confessed to having stolen two motorcycles from Fadikpe area and that he usually sells the parts at Sabon-Gari and Kasuwan-Gwari areas of Minna.

See also  PHOTOS: Four arrested for illegal refuse dump in Lagos

“Case is under investigation,” Abiodun said.

Earlier, on September 4, Lawali Bello, 27, of Iri Village, Rijau, was arrested for stealing a Bajaj motorcycle on September 2.

“A report was made at Rijau Div stating that on 2nd September 2025 around 10.30am, unknown persons invaded a residence at Iri Village and stole a Bajaj motorcycle.

“Police surveillance team of Rijau Div arrested one Lawali Bello 27yrs of the same village with the said Bajaj motorcycle.

“He confessed to the crime and he was charged to court for prosecution,” Abiodun said.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get – BBNaija star, Tacha

Published

on

BBNaija star, Tacha, has called for the maximum punishment for Mirabel, the lady who in a viral video claimed she was r@ped inside her home by an unknown man.

In a shocking revelation, Mirabel on Thursday, February 19, confessed to social critic, VeryDarkMan, that she lied about the r@pe claim. She claimed she was dealing with serious mental health issues which was why she came up with the false claim.

Many Nigerians have called for her to be prosecuted. In a post shared on X, Tacha also called for Mirabel’s prosecution. She opined that Mirable should be punished just the way a r@pist would be punished if found guilty.

‘’Now that its been established that Mirabel lied about the r*pe allegation, I expect the police and the agencies in charge of handling r*pe and assault cases to make sure they penalize Mirabel and that she receives the same punishment a r*pist would get… CAUSE we live in a very wicked and terrible society where r*pists and r*pe apologists are looking for excuses to continue to r*pe and abuse women..

We should NEVER allow stupid women to empower these evil and wicked men! She must be penalized”

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get - BBNaija star, Tacha

 

In a follow-up video, Tacha stated that false rape claims only empower r@pe apologists to dismiss the claims of real r@pe victims whenever a fresh case of the crime surfaces.

 ‘’R@pe is a very serious issue. Women should never waponize r@pe for whatever reason. Never use r@pe to get back at an ex or a man. Never try to do so because at the end of the day, you are taking away from the real victims. You are Honestly!

You are empowering these r@pe apologists and r@pists because they feel like the next girl that comes out to talk about it how many people will believe her? because truthfully how many people will believe her?”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Dispatch rider bags seven-year jail term for trafficking tramadol
Continue Reading

Crime

Police, military step up patrols in Kebbi LG after 33 killed

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, said additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.

He said sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to stabilise the district and prevent further violence.

“The Command deeply regrets the loss of thirty-three innocent lives and extends its heartfelt condolences to the families affected and the entire Arewa community,” the statement read.

According to the police, “preliminary investigations revealed that suspected Lakurawa militants entered Bui District on February 18 to rustle cattle.

“The attackers were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area”

Residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago reportedly mobilised in response, leading to a fatal confrontation.

The police emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention and warned residents against directly engaging such groups.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious movements through established security channels rather than confront armed criminals, as such actions pose grave risks,” Usman stated.

Meanwhile, earlier reports indicated that at least 34 people were feared killed when gunmen swept through several communities in Arewa LGA in coordinated daylight attacks, triggering panic across the wider Kebbi North Senatorial District.

See also  Nigerian Man, Oliver Ugwu Arrested For Duping Indian Woman Of N9m On Pretext Of Marriage

Security forces have since launched targeted operations to track and apprehend the perpetrators, block escape routes and strengthen early warning mechanisms.

The Command urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as efforts intensify to restore lasting peace in the troubled communities.

Continue Reading

Crime

DSS invites suspects as wife opens up on the abduction of Dadiyata

Published

on

The Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and is set to invite suspects in connection with the case.

Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna.

His whereabouts remain unknown nearly seven years later.

The development comes as Kadijah, the wife of social media commentator and critic, expressed fresh worries over her husband’s disappearance.

She spoke in a video interview with Ambassador-designate Reno Omokri, which was released on his X handle on Thursday.

Omokri, who visited the mother of two at her residence, sought support for Kadijah and her children, pledging to get justice for her.

“We pray that one day, he will come back,” Kadijah said when asked what she had to say about her husband’s disappearance over the years, especially given recent comments made by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

Appealing to Nigerians, she said, “They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not.”

Omokri further asked Kadijah what she had to say about an old comment made about her husband that suggested “mockery.”

“It was somebody who showed me (the post) because I didn’t have a phone at that time,” she said of the 2019 comment reportedly made by the son of a former Kaduna State Governor.

The post had read, “Those same clowns who encouraged him when he was creating false stories and capitalising on lies that could endanger lives solely for political ends are the same individuals trending hashtags asking, ‘#WhereisDadiyata.’

See also  ICE arrests 67-year-old Nigerian man convicted of cocaine trafficking in U.S

“Dangerous lies in the public space have consequences. I felt bad about it (the comment). I can’t even explain,” Kadijah stated in the video.

She further narrated how her husband was abducted as he alighted from his car in their compound on August 2, 2019, saying she watched from the window as it happened.

Assuring Kadijah of Dadiyata’s safe return if he is alive, and justice in the unlikely event of his death, Omokri empathised with the woman and sought assistance for the family.

He appealed to the Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, for “whatever he can do for them… to help their living conditions, probably relocate them, help their education, or help the mother with a job. Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them.”

Dadiyata, a lecturer and online commentator, was abducted on August 2, 2019, by unidentified gunmen as he drove into his home in Barnawa, Kaduna.

The incident has continued to attract public attention and demands for accountability.

Dadiyata’s matter resurfaced on February 14, 2026, when El-Rufai denied any involvement in the case and argued that the missing commentator was primarily critical of the Kano administration rather than the Kaduna State government.

“Dadiyata was not a fierce critic of the Kaduna State government. He was a fierce critic of the Kano State government.

“He is a Kwankwasiya guy; he lives in Kaduna and lectures at a university in Katsina State, but is a fierce critic not of Kaduna State. Go and review his timeline,” he said.

See also  Gunmen attack national park service office in Oyo, kill five

El-Rufai further stated that he was unaware of Dadiyata before the abduction was reported to the police.

“It was Ganduje that was his problem. I didn’t even know him. We only got the report of Dadiyata’s existence and the fact that he lives in Kaduna State after the family reported to the police that he was abducted as he was returning home in the evening.

“If anybody is to be asked about the disappearance of Dadiyata, it is the Kano State Government; it has nothing to do with the Kaduna State Government. We didn’t even know he existed,” he said.

Reacting, former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, dismissed being linked to the case in a statement issued by his former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Muhammad Garba.

He described the claims as “reckless, unfounded, and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.”

According to Ganduje, Dadiyata was widely known in Kaduna for his criticism of the state government.

“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he said.

A security source told The PUNCH that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.

“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons.

“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping.

See also  Panic as cult clash claims life in Lagos

The Service was reported to have reopened the case and was set to invite El-Rufai’s sons for questioning over the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending