Connect with us

News

Tinubu, Fubara end foreign trips ahead of Ibas’ handover

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu and suspended Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, will both return to the country on Tuesday (today) ahead of Rivers return to democratic rule on Thursday.

Tinubu is returning to Abuja after cutting short his vacation in France, while Fubara is also due back from London. Their return comes just as the Rivers State Sole Administrator, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.), intensifies preparations to hand over power with a series of transition activities marking the end of the emergency rule in the state.

President Tinubu, who departed Nigeria on September 4 for his annual holiday in France and the United Kingdom, was initially billed to spend 10 working days (ending September 10) abroad but concluded his break ahead of schedule. A statement by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, said the President would resume official duties in Abuja immediately on arrival.

While in Paris, Tinubu held a private luncheon with French President Emmanuel Macron at the Élysée Palace, where both leaders reviewed bilateral ties and agreed to deepen cooperation in key sectors for mutual prosperity and global stability.

In Rivers State, attention is focused on the transition programme that will usher in the return of democratic governance after months of emergency rule. Vice Admiral Ibas, who has served as the state’s administrator during the period, on Sunday kick-started the handover process with a thanksgiving service in Port Harcourt.

As part of the transition events, the state government announced a public lecture scheduled for Tuesday, September 16, at the Banquet Hall of Government House. The lecture, themed ‘Democracy and Good Governance’, will have Ibas as Special Guest of Honour, with invited dignitaries expected to be seated by 9:30 a.m.

Meanwhile, Fubara’s long-awaited return to the country is expected on the same day. An aide to the suspended governor told The PUNCH that though his arrival was initially expected on Monday, “the governor will be back on Tuesday” ahead of his reinstatement slated for Thursday, September 18.

See also  Rivers in turmoil: APC leaders intervene as Fubara faces fresh impeachment threat

The convergence of Tinubu’s return to Abuja and Fubara’s comeback to Rivers heightens anticipation around the unfolding political transition, with stakeholders watching closely as Ibas prepares to hand back power after steering the state through a turbulent period of emergency rule.

On the evening of March 18, 2025, the President declared a state of emergency in Rivers State.

He cited prolonged political instability, constitutional breaches, and security threats as reasons for the extraordinary measure.

This followed an emergency meeting with security and intelligence chiefs at the Aso Rock Villa earlier that day.

Tinubu also appointed Vice Admiral Ibok-Étè Ibas (retd.) as the sole administrator to oversee the state’s affairs until normalcy is restored. Ibas served as Chief of Naval Staff from 2015 to 2021 under former President Muhammadu Buhari.

The Rivers crisis, he said, paralysed governance in the oil-rich state. It was the high point of a months-long power tussle between Fubara and Wike.

The Rivers political turmoil escalated in December 2023 after Fubara demolished the state’s House of Assembly complex, leading to a prolonged battle over the legitimacy of the legislative arm.

It worsened when 27 lawmakers loyal to Wike defected from the PDP to the APC, prompting legal disputes over their status.

On February 28, 2025, the Supreme Court ruled that the lawmakers remained valid members of the Assembly.

It also faulted Fubara’s actions as being unconstitutional and despotic. The verdict noted that the state had collapsed into one-man rule due to the absence of a functioning legislature.

Despite the ruling, governance remained stalled, with the executive and legislature at loggerheads. As of March 2025, the state’s annual Appropriation Bill had not been passed.

A day before Tinubu imposed emergency rule, an explosion rocked a section of the Trans Niger Pipeline in the Bodo Community of Gonna Local Government Area in Rivers State. The following day, another explosion severed a pipeline manifold in the Omwawriwa axis of Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni Local Government Area of the State. The President expressed concern over vandalism by militants, allegedly acting in support of Fubara.

See also  Trump’s threats: FG engages diplomats, rallies military commanders

The incidents occurred amid frantic efforts by the Tinubu administration to increase Nigeria’s lagging crude oil output and curb leaks.

Ahead of the September 18 end of the emergency rule, the Rivers State Government will at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday hold a public lecture as part of the transition to democratic rule. The lecture will hold on at the Banquet Hall, Government House.

Recall that the State Administrator, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas (retd.) had on Sunday held a thanksgiving service which kick started the transition programme.

A special Government House announcement issued by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr Ibibia Worika, said Ibas will be the Special Guest of Honour at the public lecture.

The statement read, “The Rivers State Government is pleased to announce that as part of the transition process in the State, a Public Lecture with the theme, ‘Democracy and Good Governance.

“His Excellency, Vice Admiral (retd.) lbok-Ete Ekwe lbas, CFR, Administrator of Rivers State, will be the Special Guest.

“Invited guests are please requested to be seated by 9:30 a.m.”

Meanwhile, the Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has struck out a suit filed by a Port Harcourt-based legal practitioner, William Abayomi, against President Tinubu and Ibas over the conduct of the August 30th Local Goverrnment elections in the state.

The suit was also against the Rivers State Independent Electoral Commission, its chairman and the Attorney General of the Federation.

Abayomi had challenged the legality of President Tinubu to appoint an administrator for the state, who in turn nominated the chairman and members of RSIEC to conduct the LG elections.

The presiding judge, Justice Stephen Jumbo, in his ruling on the issue of locus standi of the claimant and  jurisdiction of the court, held that the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the suit.

See also  Nigeria won’t accept Trump’s deportee deal like Rwanda, S’Sudan – FG

Justice Jumbo also said, based on the section of the constitution, only the Supreme Court had the exclusive  jurisdiction to hear such suits during emergency rule.

He also ruled that the claimant lacked the locus standi to institute the suit against the defendants, saying that he was not able to show personal interest above public interest, as well as prove his civil rights and obligation being violated by the actions of the defendants.

On the conduct of the August 30 elections, Justice Jumbo declared that the conduct of the LG election was constitutional and legitimate, as it was neither  conducted by the governor nor the Administrator but the RSIEC, which was the case of the just-concluded council election in the state.

Speaking to newsmen outside the courtroom, counsel to the claimant, Godsent Elewa, said he would consult with his client before exploring the Ground of Appeal.

Elewa stated, “The judge in his wisdom has given judgment. I will communicate with my client to know the next line of action because there is a widow to challenge the ruling.”

On his part, counsel for the PDP, the fifth defendant in the suit, Monday John-Otokkwala, said the judgment of the court represented the position of the law.

John-Otokkwala stated, “The judgment just delivered by my Lord represent the of position of Law with respect to the conduct of the local government elections in Rivers State.

“The judge has said that he (claimant) has no locus standi to have brought. He is not a party who wanted to contest the election and so he has no interest whatsoever to have brought this action.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Lagos enforces 5% tax on gaming winnings

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Nigeria won’t accept Trump’s deportee deal like Rwanda, S’Sudan – FG

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Yuletide: Police tighten security, FG declares holidays
Continue Reading

Trending