Connect with us

Business

Crude supply to domestic refineries hit 67.6m barrels – FG

Published

on

The Federal Government has disclosed that a total of 67,657,559 barrels of crude oil were supplied to local refiners for processing between January and August 2025.

This figure, confirmed by the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission, highlights ongoing challenges in bridging the crude allocation gap facing indigenous refineries despite Nigeria’s rising production levels.

Speaking in Abuja on Sunday, the Head of Media and Strategic Communications at the NUPRC, Eniola Akinkuotu, said the crude allocation was made in line with the Petroleum Industry Act 2021 and the Domestic Crude Supply Obligation policy.

According to him, the barrels were delivered to both modular and state-owned refining facilities, including Waltersmith, Aradel Energy, and refineries under the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited.

“A total of 67,657,559 barrels were delivered to local refiners between January and August this year. All refiners got that amount within the eight-month period,” Akinkuotu stated.

However, the volume supplied fell short of refiners’ demand by a wide margin. Local processors had requested 123,480,500 barrels for the first half of 2025, meaning they received 55,822,941 barrels—or about 45 per cent—less than required to meet their refining targets.

The DCSO framework, introduced under the PIA, mandates upstream producers to reserve a portion of their crude for domestic processors before exporting, with sanctions for non-compliance. The policy was designed to guarantee feedstock to local refiners and reduce reliance on imported petroleum products.

Earlier this year, the NUPRC projected that refineries such as Port Harcourt, Warri, Dangote, and others would need 770,500 barrels per day, translating to 23.8 million barrels monthly, or 123.4 million barrels for the first half of 2025.

See also  Foreign debt servicing gulps almost $1bn in two months

Yet, actual deliveries have not matched these forecasts. Instead, Nigeria’s crude and condensate production climbed to 1.63 million barrels per day in August, with much of it still destined for export.

For months, refinery owners have lamented difficulties in accessing crude locally. They allege that producers prefer selling to international buyers who pay in dollars, leaving domestic refiners struggling under exchange rate pressures.

The Publicity Secretary of the Crude Oil Refiners Association of Nigeria, Eche Idoko, said in July that Nigeria’s quest for self-sufficiency in petroleum refining had been undermined by policy ambiguities and economic contradictions. He faulted the implementation of the DCSO and the Domestic Crude Refining Requirement, saying local refiners remain trapped by the “willing buyer, willing seller” pricing model.

“The willing buyer, willing seller principle was meant to create competitiveness. But in practice, it disadvantages local refiners who cannot match dollar-based offers from international traders,” Idoko said.

According to him, foreign buyers’ access to hard currency makes them more attractive to upstream producers, while local refiners—hampered by currency volatility—are often priced out of the very crude they are entitled to under Nigerian law. “This market liberalisation paradoxically undermines the goal of domestic refining self-sufficiency,” he added.

Despite policy commitments, the reality is that Nigeria still exports most of its crude. Data showed that in the first quarter of 2025 alone, 82 per cent of the country’s production went abroad, even as local refiners battled shortages

Industry analysts warn that the imbalance could stall Nigeria’s refining revolution, where both state-owned and privately-owned plants are expected to reduce the huge import bill for refined petroleum products.

See also  Banks: Bad loans rise after CBN ends forbearance

The NUPRC has repeatedly directed oil producers to comply with the DCSO, but enforcement has remained weak. Compliance levels have not met expectations, despite threats of sanctions.

The regulator insists that its allocation of over 67 million barrels in eight months demonstrates a commitment to domestic refining. However, refiners argue that partial allocations cannot support efficient operations or justify the billions invested in local refining capacity.

Industry stakeholders say bridging the crude allocation gap will require more than directives. Stronger enforcement mechanisms, transparent pricing models, and government-backed incentives may be needed to balance producer and refiner interests.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

Agricultural quarantine service postpones release of recruitment shortlist

Published

on

The Nigeria Agricultural Quarantine Service has postponed the publication of shortlisted candidates for its ongoing recruitment exercise, which was initially scheduled for Thursday, August 13.

NAQS said the decision was made to ensure a thorough, transparent and accurate recruitment process.

The agency announced the postponement in a public notice signed by the Director of Human Resources, ACG Issaka Ahmed, and posted on its X handle on Friday.

“In order to ensure a thorough, transparent and accurate process, we are unable to release the list of shortlisted candidates as scheduled,” the notice stated.

The agency apologised for the delay and urged applicants and members of the public to remain patient while awaiting a new date.

“We sincerely regret any inconvenience or uncertainty this delay may have caused and appreciate the patience, understanding and continued interest of all applicants.

“All applicants and the general public are hereby notified that a new date will be communicated in due course through our official communication channels,” it said.

The agency advised applicants to rely only on information released through its official channels.

The recruitment exercise, which opened on July 28 and closed on August 10, attracted 606,928 attempted applications, while 407,659 were successfully submitted, according to statistics released by NAQS on Wednesday.

The agency said 199,269 applications were incomplete at the close of the application period.

The Assistant Superintendent of Quarantine II cadre, requiring HND or bachelor’s degree, recorded the highest number of applications with 290,076, followed by Quarantine Assistant II with 117,177 applications.

Other cadres included the NCE category with 79,685 applications, OND with 70,170, and the Superintendent cadre requiring a master’s degree with 13,183 applications.

See also  Chinese investors may acquire 51% stake in PH, Warri refineries; read details

PUNCH Online reports that NAQS said it will conduct a computer-based test and interviews on August 15, after shortlisted candidates are released on August 13.

However, candidates will now await new dates.

The recruitment exercise covers the Superintendent, Inspectorate and Assistant cadres.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Customs dismiss smuggling, revenue leakage allegations

Published

on

The Nigeria Customs Service has dismissed allegations of increased smuggling, revenue leakage, recruitment impropriety and manipulation of succession within the service, describing them as a misrepresentation of its operations and administrative processes.

The service’s National Public Relations Officer, Deputy Comptroller Abdullahi Maiwada, stated this in a response released on Thursday to an investigative report published by a media outlet (not PUNCH) on August 7, 2026.

The report had alleged intensified smuggling along the Seme, Idiroko, Ilaro, Ipokia and Igbeti-Kishi corridors, as well as manipulation of the 846 valuation code at the Apapa, Tin Can Island and PTML Area Commands.

Maiwada said the claim of a surge in smuggling was inconsistent with the service’s enforcement activities, pointing to regular seizures recorded along the affected corridors.

“Our responsibility is to reduce smuggling to the barest minimum, not to claim that it can be completely eradicated,” he said.

On the 846 valuation code, the NCS explained that it was a digital tool designed for vehicles with non-standard or non-compliant Vehicle Identification Numbers, including specialised heavy equipment, classic vehicles and customised models.

“The 846 code is an established digital valuation code within the Customs portal, specifically designated for vehicles with non-standard or non-compliant Vehicle Identification Numbers,” Maiwada said.

He added that standard vehicles were assessed automatically through manufacturer-linked databases, while 846 applications were subjected to secondary approval by valuation officers and Area Controllers.

Maiwada said discrepancies discovered through post-clearance audits could lead to Demand Notices for the recovery of short-collected duties and sanctions against offending operators, adding that revenue collections at major ports had reached historic levels under the digital framework.

On the recruitment of Assistant Superintendents of Customs II, the Service said the exercise was conducted under the authorisation of the Nigeria Customs Service Board and in line with the NCS Act 2023 and Federal Character Commission guidelines.

See also  Senate rejects new fintech body, hands full oversight to CBN

It said successful candidates were issued provisional offers subject to medical verification, background checks and formal acceptance.

The Service also rejected allegations of succession manipulation and favouritism among officers, saying promotions were determined by seniority, merit, promotion examinations and available vacancies in accordance with established regulations.

“Succession and promotion within the Service are governed by established rules and career progression structures, not personal preference,” the Service said.

Maiwada said leadership training for Deputy Comptrollers was part of the Service’s human capital development strategy, aimed at strengthening trade operations, intelligence management and executive leadership.

He explained that approved training programmes and international exposures were funded through budgetary allocations or formal technical assistance arrangements with partner institutions.

Responding to calls for independent investigations, the NCS said it remained subject to oversight by the Federal Ministry of Finance, National Assembly, Office of the Auditor-General for the Federation and anti-corruption agencies.

“The management maintains a firm, intolerant posture toward corruption, revenue leakage or administrative misconduct,” the Service stated.

It added that any officer or stakeholder found culpable would face disciplinary action and prosecution in accordance with the law, while assuring Nigerians that the Service would cooperate with any legitimate investigation by statutory authorities.

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Business

Patience Jonathan revealed she mentored Azikel refinery boss Eruani from ‘small boy’ to big businessman

Published

on

Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan’s wife, Patience, has described the Group President of Azikel Group, Dr Azibapu Eruani, as a “small boy” she raised and mentored into the league of Nigeria’s biggest businessmen.

She said her guidance was behind his bold entry into big business at a relatively young age.

The former First Lady spoke on Tuesday in a video which went viral on Thursday during an inspection tour of the Azikel Refinery in Obunagha, Bayelsa State, alongside other dignitaries.

She said she personally introduced Eruani to billionaire businessmen, Aliko Dangote and Aminu Dantata, and pushed him to aspire to their level despite being the youngest among them.

“He’s a boy that I brought up. We are always together. Although he’s the little one among us when we are friends — Dangote, Seyi, Dantata, Eruani — among us, he’s the smallest. But I made sure he followed the Dangotes, he followed Dantata.

“Because I’m a woman in their midst, I made sure I told this small boy, ‘Go and follow them, and stop the grammar.’ But when he told me that one day he would be like Dangote, I said, ‘You’re thinking too high.’ I prayed to God to grant him his heart’s desire,” she said.

Group President of Azikel Group, Dr Azibapu Eruani

The former First Lady also recalled how the immediate past APC administration under Muhammadu Buhari initially failed to grant Eruani a refinery licence before eventually approving three.

“During the Buhari administration, he and others came to me and told me they were going to apply for a refinery. I told him, ‘Eruani, your brother, the President, did not give you a refinery.

See also  Reps to mediate in PENGASSAN, Dangote refinery dispute

“Is it the APC government that will give you one?’ I prayed it would happen. But later, they came back and told me they had been given three refineries,” she said.

The inspection coincided with the arrival of the refinery’s Crude Distillation Unit, a major milestone in the development of the $1bn facility.

The 25,000 barrels-per-day plant is a private hydro-skimming refinery designed to process condensate into petrol, diesel, aviation fuel, kerosene and other products.

It is set to become Nigeria’s second-largest full-slate refinery and the first major privately owned refinery in the Niger Delta.

The Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer of the Niger Delta Development Commission, Samuel Ogbuku, who joined the inspection tour, commended Eruani for his perseverance, noting that he had attended the project’s groundbreaking ceremony eight years ago.

Ogbuku described the refinery as an inspiration and a potential catalyst for investment, job creation and economic growth in Bayelsa State, and urged residents, particularly youths, to key into the opportunities it would create.

 

 

He also praised the Bayelsa State Government for improving road infrastructure leading to the refinery site and called for continued support for the project.

Governor Douye Diri, who was represented at the inspection by his deputy, Peter Akpe, has consistently backed the project, which is expected to employ hundreds of workers and drive industrialisation in the state.

Other dignitaries at the event included the Chairman of the Bayelsa State Council of Traditional Rulers, King Bubaraye Dakolo; Vice President of Azikel Group, Presley Asemota; and Isaac Yalah, among others.

See also  NNPC eyes $60bn investment, targets 600tcf in new master plan

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending