Connect with us

News

FRSC boss tells why officers need arms

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Shehu Mohammed says arming road safety operatives may be the only way to enforce traffic laws effectively on Nigerian highways.

Appearing on Arise News on Thursday, Mohammad painted a vivid picture of the difficulties his men face when trying to stop heavy-duty vehicles.

“How do you stop a trailer or a tanker on the road? How do you just do that? It’s very, very difficult. A truck, especially a truck with probably 100 passengers on top, with animals, and you only have four personnel as a team on patrol, and trying to stop a trailer, how do you do that?” he said.

The FRSC boss argued that without adequate “power of cohesion,” enforcement is nearly impossible.

“It will support. If you don’t have the power to enforce anything, there’s no way you can achieve that enforcement,” he said, when asked if arms would help.

Mohammad also addressed allegations of bribery and extortion by some operatives, which often trend on social media.

He admitted the challenge exists but stressed that the Corps has been stricter than most agencies in punishing offenders.

“We have more record of termination and dismissal of our personnel because of bribe and corruption,” he explained, adding that the FRSC has a standing standard operating procedure to check misconduct.

The Marshal moved to clear the air on driver’s licence fees, following public complaints that officials were charging more than the official rate.

“For three years, it’s ₦15,000. For five years, it’s ₦21,000. It’s still the same figure, the same amount,” he said.

See also  UK contractor details luxury property, unpaid bills during Diezani trial

Mohammad apologised to Nigerians for the stress of getting licences processed, promising that a new and improved system would be ready soon.

“In the first and second week of October, they will see an enhanced driver’s licence and a successful and efficient service delivery,” he assured.

The idea of arming FRSC personnel is not new. PUNCH Online reports that in October 2024, the House of Representatives passed a bill at second reading to establish an Armed Road Safety Corps; a specialised squad under the FRSC with powers to carry weapons and enforce road laws more robustly.

The proposal reflects mounting concern over flagrant traffic violations, road massacre incidents, and the challenges of enforcing on Nigeria’s highways.

Proponents argue that a better equipped, armed road-safety unit could check reckless driving, especially on major highways.

Opponents warn of potential abuse, extortion, intimidation, and further militarisation of road policing.

Nigerians however, have continued to oppose a bill before the National Assembly seeking to establish an armed road safety squad.

An October 2024 PUNCH Online report showed that over 90 per cent of respondents in a public poll rejected the proposal, with transport unions and civic groups warning that arming road safety officials could lead to abuse.

For now, Mohammad insists the Corps will keep pushing for tools that make its job easier.

“Road safety will continue to deliver its mandate as enshrined in the FRSC Act,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Ogun adopts new infection prevention control manual to enhance safety

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Denmark to ban social media for under-15s

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  NARD sets 24-hour call duty limit for doctors
Continue Reading

Trending