Connect with us

News

Sowore gets three days to study DSS charges on Anti-Tinubu post

Published

on

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Tuesday granted former presidential candidate and activist Omoyele Sowore three days to study the cybercrime charges filed against him by the Department of State Services (DSS).

Sowore was scheduled to be arraigned before Justice Mohammed Garba on Tuesday, but the proceedings were stalled due to the non-service of the charges on him.

He and his co-defendants were to be docked for allegedly making false posts about President Bola Tinubu with the intent to cause a breakdown of law and order. The other defendants are X and Meta Platforms (Facebook), listed as the second and third defendants, respectively.

The DSS, as plaintiff, filed a five-count criminal charge (FHC/ABJ/CR/484/2025) accusing Sowore of using his official X handle, @YeleSowore, to post defamatory content about President Tinubu.

In one of the alleged posts, Sowore reportedly wrote: “This criminal @officialABAT actually went to Brazil to state that there is no more corruption under his regime in Nigeria. What audacity to lie shamelessly!”

The charge claims the post violated Section 24(2)(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition and Prevention) Act 2024 and was made on August 25, 2025, within the jurisdiction of the Federal High Court.

Count two alleges that Sowore posted the same message on his official Facebook page on August 26, 2025, intending to incite public disorder, particularly among Nigerians with divergent views about President Tinubu.

Counts three and four accuse him of publishing defamatory material against the president through his X and Facebook accounts, contrary to Section 375 of the Criminal Code.

See also  PHOTOS: Traders escape death as heavy duty truck falls in Umuahia Timber market

Count five alleges that Sowore, intending to cause public fear and disturbance, published false information harming the reputation of the president, contrary to Section 59 of the Criminal Code Act.

At Tuesday’s sitting, Sowore’s lead counsel, Abubakar Marshall, protested that his client had not been served with the charges, as required by law. He also noted that the second defendant had not been served, making the arraignment improper.

Counsel for the Federal Government, Mohammed Babadoko Abubakar, Director of Public Prosecutions of the Federation (DPPF), insisted that Sowore had been served.

However, Justice Garba, after reviewing the case file, confirmed that service had not been effected.

The DPPF applied to serve Sowore in open court, which the judge allowed.

Sowore accepted the documents and requested three days to study the charges and prepare his defense, as provided by law.

Despite objections from the DPPF, Justice Garba upheld the request and adjourned the arraignment to October 27.

“The court will adjourn to the 27th day of October for the arraignment of the defendants,” he said.

While the second defendant, X, had no legal representation, Professor Tayo Oyetibo (SAN) represented Meta Platforms (Facebook), the third defendant.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  FRSC, Army collaborate on intelligence sharing, others

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Bus preaching distracts drivers, can lead to breach of peace – MURIC backs FRSC bill
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Oyo school attack: Senate, Yoruba leaders demand action as distress videos emerge

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending