Connect with us

News

10th Senate passed over 90 bills, 52 signed into law — Akpabio’s aide

Published

on

Kenny Okolugbo, Media Consultant to the President of the Senate, Godswill Akpabio, has highlighted what he described as unprecedented achievements in lawmaking, economic reforms, and governance under the leadership of his principal.

In a statement issued on Monday in Abuja, Okolugbo said the 10th Senate, within two years, had passed more than 90 bills, with 52 of them already signed into law by President Bola Tinubu.

He described the record as a testament to Akpabio’s “uncommon leadership style,” noting that the upper chamber has played a crucial role in stabilising the economy, improving fiscal policies, and promoting inclusive development across the country.

According to him, interventions by the Senate have contributed to strengthening the naira and reducing inflation, which currently stands at 20.12 per cent — a 4.23 per cent improvement in recent months.

“We are not yet there, but there is light at the end of the tunnel,” Okolugbo said.

He listed key legislations such as the Student Loan Act, which enables indigent students to access education loans repayable only after employment, and the Tax Reform Bill, which was initially resisted but later passed to expand the tax net and ease the burden on low-income earners.

Other notable achievements, he added, include the passage of the Minimum Wage Act, which doubled workers’ pay by 100 per cent and exempted those earning the minimum wage from personal income tax, as well as the establishment of five regional development commissions across the South-East, South-West, South-South, North-West, and North-Central zones.

See also  NIMC gives diaspora partners 48 hours to activate upgraded licences

“These commissions will bring governance and development closer to the people, addressing long-standing issues of regional imbalance,” he said.

Despite the Senate not yet receiving the Medium-Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper from the Executive, Okolugbo said the upper chamber had taken proactive steps to extend the implementation of capital projects in the 2024 and 2025 budgets to prevent economic disruptions.

He disclosed that plans were underway to convene a National Security Summit to address the root causes of insecurity in the country, while the Electricity Act had been strengthened to prevent arbitrary tariff hikes.

“We cannot continue to pay higher bills for electricity we rarely get,” he noted.

Okolugbo maintained that the achievements of the 10th Senate show that legislative effectiveness is not measured by confrontation with the Executive but by constructive collaboration that delivers tangible results for Nigerians.

The media aide also praised Akpabio’s leadership style, describing him as “a man in a hurry to achieve results.”

He added, “Working with him gives me insight into why he was called the Uncommon Governor during his tenure in Akwa Ibom. His developmental strides then still speak for him today.”

Okolugbo also commended the Deputy Senate President, Barau Jibrin, for ensuring smooth legislative business whenever Akpabio is away, maintaining that there is no vacuum in the chamber’s operations.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Sokoto extends recruitment deadline to October 12

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FG offered 4,000 pregnant women free C-section – Report

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  NIMC gives diaspora partners 48 hours to activate upgraded licences
Continue Reading

Trending