Connect with us

News

Enugu gov, minister trade words over allleged certificate forgery

Published

on

The controversy surrounding the academic credentials of the Minister of Innovation, Science and Technology, Uche Nnaji, deepened on Monday as his media aide, Robert Ngwu, accused Enugu State Governor, Peter Mbah, of orchestrating a smear campaign against the minister.

But in a swift reaction, the governor denied the allegation, asking the minister to “carry your cross”.

Speaking during a press conference in Abuja, the minister’s aide denied allegations that his principal, Nnaji, forged his university and National Youth Service Corps certificates, describing the claims as politically motivated.

He alleged that the campaign was being driven by Mbah to discredit the minister for political reasons.

Ngwu claimed that “all these sponsored events are being coordinated by Governor Peter Mbah of Enugu State,” whom he accused of making Nnaji the scapegoat for his various challenges.

“The governor had given a new name to all his problems — Chief Uche Geoffrey Nnaji,” Ngwu said, alleging the attacks were linked to the governor’s political ambitions.

Ngwu further stated that Mbah, who is reportedly seeking a second term, views Nnaji as an obstacle to his rumoured plan to defect to the All Progressives Congress from the Peoples Democratic Party.

The minister’s aide further stated that Nnaji had formally requested his academic transcript from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka, to clear his name, but noted that the university failed to release it despite a court order.

“He asked the school to release his transcript. He applied for his transcript so that it becomes clear to everyone because it is the ultimate. So, that is why, even with the court order, they have not seen reasons to release his transcript,” he said.

He also alleged that Nnaji’s file was being held in the office of the Vice-Chancellor of UNN.

“We have information that the minister’s file was kept under lock and key in the vice-chancellor’s office. Why would the file of a serving minister of the Federal Republic be sitting in your office?” Ngwu asked.

Addressing a reported discrepancy in the name appearing on the documents — “Nnaji Uchenna” instead of “Uche Geoffrey Nnaji,” Ngwu pointed out that the variation was culturally explainable.

“There is no actual discrepancy. In the Igbo language, ‘Uchenna’ or ‘Uchechukwu’ essentially carries the same meaning — often interpreted as ‘the will’ or ‘mind of God.’ They are commonly used interchangeably. The surname remains consistent,” he argued.

Ngwu maintained that Nnaji graduated from UNN in 1985 and said the university confirmed this in writing in December 2023.

The latest developments followed a Premium Times investigative report published on Saturday, which alleged that Nnaji submitted forged academic and NYSC certificates to President Bola Tinubu and the Senate during his ministerial nomination process in 2023.

See also  Guard democracy, curb misinformation, Tinubu urges editors

The report claimed that the UNN disowned the degree certificate submitted by Nnaji, stating that although he was admitted in 1981, he did not complete his studies and was never awarded a degree.

The university’s Vice-Chancellor, Simon Ortuanya, confirmed this in a response to a Freedom of Information request dated October 2, in which he stated that Nnaji was not a graduate of the institution.

This contradicted a December 2023 response from UNN’s Registrar, Celine Nnebedum, who had previously confirmed Nnaji’s graduation but later recanted before the Public Complaints Commission in 23 May 2025 letter that the university searched its graduation records for the 1985 session but could not find Mr Nnaji’s name on them.

The investigation also revealed that in a court affidavit, Nnaji admitted that the university never issued him a degree certificate and that he had “never collected one.”

In September, Nnaji filed a lawsuit at the Federal High Court against the Minister of Education, the National Universities Commission, UNN, Vice-Chancellor Ortuanya, and others, seeking to restrain the university from “tampering” with his academic records.

The case was heard on Monday, with Sebastian Hon (SAN) representing Nnaji, while E.M. Asogwa appeared for the university and its officials.

The Minister of Education and the NUC, the first and second respondents, were not represented at the hearing.

Nnaji’s legal team challenged the Premium Times article, calling it damaging given the ongoing litigation over the minister’s academic records.

Denying Nnaji’s allegations, however, the Director of Information at the Enugu State Ministry of Information and Communication, Chukwuemeka Nebo, stated that the government had no connection to the controversy.

“The Enugu State Government dissociates itself completely from these allegations. The honourable minister must carry his own cross and clear his name before Nigerians, instead of dragging the government into issues that are entirely personal to him,” Nebo said.

Nebo criticised the minister’s failure to personally confront the issue, saying, “A large number of Nigerian and international journalists reportedly gathered on the minister’s invitation to hear directly from him.

“But rather than appear before them to answer questions and establish his innocence, the minister absconded, leaving behind proxies who could not withstand the barrage of legitimate questions from journalists.”

The director questioned the minister’s decision to delegate the press briefing to proxies, asking: “Who can narrate Chief Nnaji’s UNN story better than him? Why invite the media, only to outsource the conference? Why send third parties, who lack the answers to critical questions, if he truly has nothing to hide?”

See also  Six Dead, 23 Injured in Lagos–Ibadan Expressway Crash

Nebo outlined a series of questions the public expects the minister to answer, particularly surrounding his academic and service records.

“Did he, for his screening, present a purported degree certificate to the Senate showing that he graduated from the prestigious University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in July 1985?

“Is it true that he deposed in a Federal High Court filing in Abuja that he was not issued any degree certificate by UNN and, if so, how did he come about the degree certificate he presented to the Senate?

“Is it also true that while he claims to have graduated in July 1985, he applied to the university to retake Virology (Course code: MCB 431) in the September 1985 Supplementary Examination, having failed the course?

“Is it also true that the university, in a November 8, 1985 letter, informed Uche Nnaji that he again failed Virology (Course code: MCB 431) in the Supplementary Examinations, but could register to retake the course in the June 1986 examinations, provided he paid an examination fee of N4.00 (Four naira)?

“Is it true that on January 3, 1986, he again applied to retake the Virology (Course code: MCB 431) examination in June 1986, stating in his letter that the receipt for the payment of the N4.00 (Four Naira) resit fee had been attached?”

The statement also raised questions about the credentials the minister submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission during the 2023 governorship election.

“Is it true that while he claims to be in possession of a university degree, he only submitted his Secondary School WASC Certificate to the Independent National Electoral Commission for his participation in the 2023 governorship election?

“Why did Uche Nnaji’s proxy state at the Abuja press conference that the minister ‘graduated’, while avoiding stating categorically that he was issued a degree certificate?”

Further scrutiny was directed at the minister’s National Youth Service Corps discharge certificate.

The statement questioned, “Did he also present a purported NYSC discharge certificate showing that he commenced his national service in April 1985, three months before his supposed graduation, and served until July 1986 — an unusual duration of 13 months instead of the usual 12 months of national service?

“Whereas the CEO of the NYSC at the time he claimed to have undergone the national service was Col. Edet Akpan (January 1984 to December 1987), Uche Nnaji’s NYSC discharge certificate was signed by Col. Animashaun Braimoh, who was NYSC CEO from January 1988 to December 1990.

See also  Again, US to deport 18 Nigerians on criminal list

“Is it true that NYSC certificates issued up till October 1990 had six-digit numbering devoid of alphabetic characters, but Uche Nnaji’s discharge certificate, supposedly issued in 1986, was numbered A231309, which includes the alphabet ‘A’?”

The statement concluded with what Nebo described as the core of the controversy.

“Is it a fact that he deposed to an affidavit in the suit he filed in court that UNN did not issue him any certificate? And if that is the case, Nigerians want to know how he came about the certificate he submitted to the Senate of his own free will in 2023.

“These are the clarifications Nigerians earnestly yearn for, and Chief Uche Nnaji is urged to brave up to clear his name, if he is truly innocent, rather than trading blames,” Nebo said.

The latest developments followed a Premium Times investigative report published on Saturday, which alleged that Nnaji submitted forged academic and NYSC certificates to President Bola Tinubu and the Senate during his ministerial nomination process in 2023.

The report claimed that the UNN disowned the degree certificate submitted by Nnaji, stating that although he was admitted in 1981, he did not complete his studies and was never awarded a degree.

The university’s Vice-Chancellor, Simon Ortuanya, confirmed this in a response to a Freedom of Information request dated October 2, in which he stated that Nnaji was not a graduate of the institution.

This contradicted a December 2023 response from UNN’s Registrar, Celine Nnebedum, who had previously confirmed Nnaji’s graduation but later recanted before the Public Complaints Commission in 23 May 2025 letter that the university searched its graduation records for the 1985 session but could not find Mr Nnaji’s name on them.

The investigation also revealed that in a court affidavit, Nnaji admitted that the university never issued him a degree certificate and that he had “never collected one.”

In September, Nnaji filed a lawsuit at the Federal High Court against the Minister of Education, the National Universities Commission, UNN, Vice-Chancellor Ortuanya, and others, seeking to restrain the release of his academic records.

The case was heard on Monday, with Sebastian Hon (SAN) representing Nnaji, while E.M. Asogwa appeared for the university and its officials. The Minister of Education and the NUC, the first and second respondents, were not represented at the hearing.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  PHOTOS: Nigerien rescued alive as three-storey building collapses in Abuja

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Guard democracy, curb misinformation, Tinubu urges editors

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Guard democracy, curb misinformation, Tinubu urges editors
Continue Reading

Trending