Connect with us

Crime

Displaced Borno residents recount Boko Haram invasion

Published

on

Victims of the recent Boko Haram attack on Kirawa, a community in Gwoza local government area of Borno state, have recounted the ordeals and strategies the insurgents used to seize the community.

In an interview with our correspondent on Sunday, the victims described the experience as “disastrous.”

One victim, Aji Modu, explained that the terrorists entered the community on motorcycles.

In his words, “They came with motorbikes and started shooting while gradually entering the village.

“On their way, the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) and hunters tried to hold them off in a gun battle, and they exchanged gunfire.

“The CJTF held the insurgents in a gunfight that lasted for hours, slowing their advance into the community. That gave us enough time to quickly run away.”

Another victim, Mustapha Umar, added that the insurgents succeeded in killing one person and abducting a teenager.

“After many of our people crossed the border while the gun battle was ongoing, the CJTF, who were holding the terrorists at gunfire, also began to withdraw. As soon as they withdrew toward our side, the insurgents overtook the town.

“They captured and entered every corner of the town. They took over almost everywhere and began burning houses.

“Unfortunately, one young man, less than 20 years old, was caught near the immigration office. The insurgents killed him.

“There was also a child, around 13 years old, running with his mother, whom the insurgents captured and took away. So, we had one death and one hostage taken from our community,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Female drug kingpin arrested in Lagos with 23.50kg cocaine stashed in her children’s room

Recounting the losses, a community member identified as Garba said properties including televisions, beds, mattresses, and farm produce were left behind.

“I couldn’t risk my life for material things. I left behind my television, mattresses, and clothes. All were burnt down,” he said.

PUNCH had earlier reported that community members called for a military base in the town following the redeployment of Cameroonian troops after a recent attack.

Days after the attack, our correspondent learned that the state governor, Babagana Zulum, mobilized troops to the community.

Speaking on the issue, Zulum said, “Yes, Cameroonian troops have withdrawn, but that doesn’t mean the Nigerian Army should leave the area vacant.

“We resettled this town about seven years ago, with the support of Cameroonian soldiers. Unfortunately, the returnees were displaced by insurgents.

Regarding the attack, the governor said he had informed the military earlier of the dangers of leaving the community without a military post.

“I duly notified the Nigerian military about the risks of leaving this town without security. This is a border community. Wilgo, Kirawa, Baga, Damasak, Malamfatori, among others, are border towns that must be protected given their strategic importance.

“Unfortunately, my request did not receive the attention it deserved, and the insurgents came on Wednesday and vandalized everything we worked so hard to rebuild.

“Lives were lost; 50 houses, heavy-duty equipment, and eight vehicles were burnt down. We thank God the casualties were not more.”

He added, “All of us have agreed that, as soon as possible, the Nigerian army will deploy soldiers to Kirawa town.”

See also  Lover’s rage: Lagos spa worker bathed in acid

Meanwhile, Yakubu Mabba Ali, Chairman of Kirawa Development Association, noted that the governor promised various social amenities during his visit.

“The governor said he will bring the military here. He said he is going to consider our roads, hospitals, and provide palliatives to our people,” he said.

Residents Plan to Return

Our correspondent gathered that residents have begun returning to the community after spending several days in a Cameroonian village called Sabon Kasuwa.

Speaking with Khadijat Sanni through a language interpreter, she said the state government has deployed a local security outfit in the community.

“The government deployed some members of the vigilante group called Karan-Kara to Kirawa. Their presence gave us the assurance to return,” she said.

Those who escaped the attack to Maiduguri confirmed to PUNCH that they held a meeting on Monday (yesterday) alongside their district head, who was previously displaced to Cameroon.

One of them, Aliyu Liman, said at the meeting they planned strategies to raise funds to assist the most affected families.

He added that their plan to return stems from the need to resume farming activities they left midway.

“Ninety percent of our people are farmers. Take me for instance; I left behind my bean farm. Now that I am aware peace has returned, I do not want to continue staying here in Maiduguri.”

Speaking about the meeting, Aliyu said, “We met with the district head yesterday in the Polo area of Maiduguri. Our discussion focused on how to assist our loved ones who were most affected. We are contacting organizations and people near and far across Nigeria to support the community with funds.

See also  PHOTOS: Local hunters rescue kidnapped victim, neutralise gang leader and arrest two in Yobe

“Whatever we raise by the time we return will be used to cushion the effects of the attack for families in one way or another,” he explained.

According to him, many dignitaries and community members present made significant donations totaling 600,000 naira.

“In the meeting, indigenes of the community residing in Maiduguri showed us solidarity.

“As of yesterday, about 600,000 naira was raised. We intend to use the fund to support the community until the state government fulfills its pledge.”

Providing more details, he said, “More than 50 people gathered yesterday. Prominent people from our town were present, including the Chairman of Kirawa Development Association, Yakubu Mabba Ali; Barrister Abba; Former Education Secretary Muhammad Abba, among others. Many dignitaries were present.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police arrest 10 suspected human parts sellers in Oyo

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has arrested 10 suspected human parts sellers.

The suspects were arrested in the Iseyin and Saki areas of the state.

Public Relations Officer of the command, Olayinka Ayanlade, disclosed this in a statement on Saturday.

Exhibits recovered from the suspects include one suspected human heart, human flesh, pieces of human skull and assorted charms.

The statement said the exhibits have been secured for forensic examination and further investigation.

The suspects were identified as Adam Ibrahim, Nasiru Kabiru, Tijani Wasiu, Abiola Nasiru, Amusa Gbadamosi, Raheem Taofeek, Jimoh Muritala, Suleiman Busari, Ganiyu Nurudeen and Usman Abdullahi.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Local hunters rescue kidnapped victim, neutralise gang leader and arrest two in Yobe
Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Kebbi man arrested over alleged ritual desecration of Qur’an after burying it in pit with s€men to make woman more submissive to her husband

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 29-year-old man, Abubakar Musa, over alleged ritual desecration of the Holy Qur’an in Zuru Local Government Area of the state.

The spokesperson for the command, SP Bashir Usman, who disclosed this in a statement on 14th August 2026, said the suspect was arrested in connection with alleged criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance.

According to the PPRO, on August 9, 2026, Musa and two other suspects, Rabi’u Tela and Hamza Zango, allegedly dug a pit and buried a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, d3ad animals, and other fetish items.

The police spokesperson said the act was allegedly intended to make Rabi’u Tela’s wife Zarau Hassan more submissive to him.

“The Kebbi State Police Command has arrested Abubakar Musa, male, 29, of Rafin Mose Village, Zuru LGA, in connection with a case of criminal conspiracy, abuse of religious books, use of spells and hypnosis, and inciting disturbance,” the statement read.

“The incident occurred on 9th August 2026, at about 1900hrs, at Zango Area, Zuru. Preliminary investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly conspired with two others; Rabi’u Tela, husband of Zarau Hassan, and Hamza Zango, both now at large, to dig a pit inside Zarau Hassan’s room and bury therein a copy of the Holy Qur’an, together with semen, white and red kolanuts, underwear, dead animals, and other fetish items.

“The act was allegedly intended to make Zarau Hassan more submissive to her husband, Rabi’u Tela, and was carried out in circumstances capable of provoking a breach of the peace among the Muslim faithful in the community.

See also  Lover’s rage: Lagos spa worker bathed in acid

“Efforts are ongoing to apprehend the two fleeing suspects, while Abubakar Musa remains in police custody and will be charged to court upon conclusion of investigation.

“The Commissioner of Police, CP Umar M. Hadejia, psc, MNIM, strongly condemns the alleged act and warns that the Command will deal decisively, within the law, with individuals whose actions threaten religious harmony, public order, and peaceful coexistence.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious activities to the Police through 09039911876 or 07081074395. All information will be treated with utmost confidentiality.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Crime

PHOTOS: Gunmen abduct 14 passengers in Benue

Published

on

Gunmen have abducted 14 passengers travelling along the Otukpo–Adoka road in Benue State.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, August 13, 2026 when an 18-seater commercial bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja was reportedly ambushed along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area.

A resident, Ochai, who spoke with punch on Friday, said the gunmen forced all the passengers into the surrounding forest.

“Some gunmen ambushed an 18-seater bus heading to Abuja between Omutele and Ankpechi along Otukpo -Adola road yesterday (Thursday) night. All the passengers in the vehicle were whisked away by the gunmen,” he said.

The spokesperson for the Benue State Police Command, DSP Peter Aondongu, who confirmed the incident in a statement said five of the victims have so far been rescued.

According to the PPRO, the police launched a coordinated rescue operation early Friday.

Aondongu said the operation involved an exchange of gunfire between the security operatives and the kidnappers.

“The Benue State Police Command has confirmed a kidnapping incident involving a commercial passenger bus travelling from Enugu State to Abuja along the Ankpechi–Omutele axis of Ohimini Local Government Area on the night of 13 August 2026,” the statement read

“Following the incident, operatives of the command commenced a coordinated rescue operation early this (Friday) morning. The operation, which involved an exchange of gunfire, has so far resulted in the successful rescue of five victims, including a four-year-old boy, while nine others remain in the custody of the suspected kidnappers.”

The police spokesperson disclosed that one of the rescued victims sustained a gunshot injury during the operation and was taken to a medical facility in Otukpo for treatment.

See also  Edo security squad raids, destroys five kidnappers’ camps

He said the police, working with other security agencies, had intensified efforts to secure the release of the remaining nine victims.

According to Aondongu, the operation was being conducted cautiously, with the safety of the abducted passengers prioritised.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Cletus Nwadiogbu, also assured the victims’ families and members of the public that efforts would continue until the remaining passengers were rescued.

He urged residents of the affected communities to remain vigilant and provide security agencies with credible information that could aid the rescue operation.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending