Connect with us

News

Science minister Nnaji resigns over alleged certificate forgery

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu on Monday evening accepted the resignation of the Minister of Innovation, Science, and Technology, Geoffrey Nnaji, following some allegations of certificate forgery levied against him.

“He resigned today in a letter thanking the President for allowing him to serve Nigeria,” Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, revealed in a statement Tuesday.

President Tinubu appointed Nnaji in August 2023.

“Nnaji said he has been a target of blackmail by political opponents. President Tinubu thanked him for his service and wished him well in future endeavours,” the statement read.

Highly-placed sources in the Presidency told our correspondent that Tinubu had asked  Nnaji to honourably resign, rather than firing him publicly.

The decision was finalised on Tuesday evening at the State House, Abuja, after a brief meeting between the President and key advisers.

Nnaji was not at the meeting, our correspondent observed.

“The embattled minister, the one for science and technology, he is going to resign.

“Instead of the President firing him, he has asked him to just resign honourably,” one source told The PUNCH in confidence.

Another source, who asked to remain anonymous due to the sensitivity of the matter, confirmed the development.

“Before the end of today (Tuesday), he will send his letter to the Office of the SGF (Secretary to the Government of the Federation) informing them that he is resigning.

“You know, it is the SGF who handles all matters pertaining to the Federal Executive Council.”

The development comes just days after a Premium Times investigative report published on Saturday, which alleged that Nnaji submitted forged academic and NYSC certificates to President Bola Tinubu and the Senate during his ministerial nomination process in 2023.

See also  Ondo council chair seeks monarchs’ support to fight insecurity

The report claimed that the UNN disowned the degree certificate submitted by Nnaji, stating that although he was admitted in 1981, he did not complete his studies and was never awarded a degree.

The university’s Vice-Chancellor, Simon Ortuanya, confirmed this in a response to a Freedom of Information request dated October 2, in which he stated that Nnaji was not a graduate of the institution.

This contradicted a December 2023 response from UNN’s Registrar, Celine Nnebedum, who had previously confirmed Nnaji’s graduation but later recanted before the Public Complaints Commission in 23 May 2025 letter that the university searched its graduation records for the 1985 session but could not find Mr Nnaji’s name on them.

The investigation also revealed that in a court affidavit, Nnaji admitted that the university never issued him a degree certificate and that he had “never collected one.”

In September, Nnaji filed a lawsuit at the Federal High Court against the Minister of Education, the National Universities Commission, UNN, Vice-Chancellor Ortuanya, and others, seeking to restrain the university from “tampering” with his academic records.

The case was heard on Monday, with Sebastian Hon (SAN) representing Nnaji, while E.M. Asogwa appeared for the university and its officials.

The Minister of Education and the NUC, the first and second respondents, were not represented at the hearing.

Nnaji’s legal team challenged the Premium Times article, calling it damaging given the ongoing litigation over the minister’s academic records.

He appealed to the UNN to release his academic transcript, accusing it of “playing politics” with his academic records.

At a press briefing in Abuja on Monday, Nnaji, through his spokesperson, Dr. Robert Ngwu, expressed frustration that the university had continued to withhold his transcript despite what he described as “clear evidence” of his graduation.

See also  Govs battle Wike as PDP factions jostle for control

The Minister said he earned a BSc in Microbiology/Biochemistry with Second Class Honours (Lower Division) in 1985, insisting that the university had no justification to keep holding his records.

Nnaji argued that the story alleging that he had falsified the degree certificate he presented during his ministerial screening in 2023, dismissed the allegation as a smear campaign allegedly sponsored by a sitting governor seeking to remove him from office.

He expressed disbelief that although the university confirmed his graduation in an official letter in 2023, it issued another in May 2025 denying any record of his graduation.

He accused the Vice Chancellor of being “economical with the truth” and acting under political influence.

“It is increasingly clear that this entire episode is not about education or integrity, it is about political desperation, disguised as academic inquiry.

“The timing, the sources, the false documents, and the paid narratives all point to a coordinated campaign to drag a reputable public servant into the mud of partisan politics,” he said.

He presented UNN’s 1985 graduation brochure, where his name appeared as “Nnaji Uchenna G” alongside his photograph and those of other graduating students.

Nnaji also displayed a letter from the Registrar, Dr. Celine Nnebedum, which he said, confirms that he was admitted in 1981 and graduated in 1985.

The Minister’s Spokesperson also argued that the difference in names, “Nnaji Uchenna G” and “Geoffrey Uchechukwu Nnaji” was inconsequential, noting that “many Igbo names have interchangeable meanings and are often used interchangeably.”

However, a third source who spoke to The PUNCH noted that Nnaji’s case had become “an embarrassment” to the administration.

See also  US lifts visa restrictions on Ghana, restores eligibility for five-year multiple-entry visas after deportee agreement

Nnaji will be the eighth minister to exit President Tinubu’s cabinet since it was first inaugurated on August 28, 2023.

The biggest shake-up came on October 23, 2024, when the president sacked five ministers and reassigned 10 others while appointing seven new hands in what the presidency called an attempt to retool performance.

Portfolios affected included education, tourism, women affairs, youth development and the minister of state for housing.

The rejig also involved the merging or renamed of other ministries including the ministry of Niger Delta Development which became Regional Development.

Earlier, Labour Minister, Simon Lalong quit in December 2023 to take up his Senate seat for Plateau South after a court ruling in his favour.

Weeks later, in January 2024, Tinubu suspended the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation Minister Betta Edu over questionable payments linked to the social safety-net system.

Although Edu denied any wrongdoing, she was investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in a probe that also saw the head of the social investment agency suspended.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  ‘Soldiers Withdrawn Before Attack’ – Kwara Village Head Breaks Silence On 10-Hour Bandits’ Massacre

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Auditor-General indicts CBN over recycled N29.7bn dirty banknotes

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  US lifts visa restrictions on Ghana, restores eligibility for five-year multiple-entry visas after deportee agreement
Continue Reading

Trending