Connect with us

News

Veteran labour activist, Comrade Abiodun Aremu, d!es after hit-and-run in Ota

Published

on

Veteran labour activist, Comrade Abiodun Aremu, 65, has been k!lled in a hit-and-run in Ota, Ogun State.

The renowned activist and Secretary of the Joint Action Front, JAF — the umbrella body for pro-labour civil society organisations — was reportedly knocked down by a vehicle while crossing the road to his residence in Ota, Ogun State, around 6 p.m. on Sunday, October 12.

He was said to have been rushed to a nearby hospital, where doctors tried to resuscitate him with oxygen, but he was later confirmed de@d.

Aremu was initially scheduled to be buried on Monday, October 13

However, the family of the late foremost activist, Abiodun Aremu, has agreed with the Labour Movement to shift his burial to October 23 to enable the movement give him a befitting farewell.

In a statement issued on behalf of the Nigeria Labour Movement, the former Secretary-General of the Organisation of African Trade Union Unity ,OATUU, and ex-Acting General Secretary of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, Owei Lakemfa, said: “The Aremu family has agreed with the Labour Movement that the interment of our leader, Comrade Abiodun ‘Aremson’ Aremu, be moved by about two weeks. This is to allow for proper mobilisation and attendance.

“Consequently, Comrade Aremu will now be interred on Thursday, 23rd October 2025, at Number 30, Kabiru Fatoye Street, Opposite Alaka Field, Ijako Sugar Bus Stop, Ifo Road, Lagos–Abeokuta Expressway.”

He added: “Our hearts are with the dear family of our departed Comrade.”

Earlier, Lakemfa had described Aremu in a statement as “one of the greatest revolutionaries and internationalists of our time.”

See also  Tinubu axes two N’Assembly bills over policy clash

He said: “Comrade Abiodun ‘Aremson’ Aremu joined the pantheon of revolutionaries on Sunday, October 12, 2025. He was an inimitable leader of the working class in Nigeria who developed enduring structures for collaboration and growth within the labour movement, including the Labour–Civil Society Coalition, LASCO, and the Kolagbodi Memorial Foundation.

“The Comrade-Leader also built the Amilcar Cabral Ideological School ,ACIS-M, to conscientise the youth, provide them with praxis, and nurture their development into full revolutionaries capable of changing the world.

“Aremu also served as Secretary of the Nigeria Movement for the Liberation of Western Sahara and the Nigerian Movement of Solidarity with Cuba.

“He was a recipient of the Friendship Medal awarded by the Cuban government to outstanding internationalists.

“The greatest honour we can give our fearless teacher and leader is to continue in his footsteps and build a world founded on social justice.”

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Tambuwal seeks global support for Nigeria, warns against politicising insecurity

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tambuwal seeks global support for Nigeria, warns against politicising insecurity

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Former Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor faults Wike over squabble with soldier
Continue Reading

Trending