Connect with us

News

Press freedom violation report ‘misleading’ – Kano Govt

Published

on

The Kano State Government has faulted a recent report by the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism which listed Kano among the top three states violating press freedom in Nigeria, describing the claim as “misleading, unfounded, and malicious.”

The Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Ibrahim Waiya, disclosed this in a statement he signed and made available to The PUNCH on Thursday.

The report, titled “Shrinking Freedoms: 2024 Journalism and Civic Space Report,” was unveiled on Tuesday in Lagos by the WSCIJ, in partnership with the Centre for Journalism Innovation and Development, with support from the Netherlands Embassy.

It identified Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory, and Kano as the top three states that recorded the highest number of violations against journalists and civic actors in 2024.

According to the report, Nigeria witnessed 103 cases of infractions against journalists and civil society actors last year, including arrests, intimidation, and assaults — many of which occurred during protests and political coverage.

The Executive Director of WSCIJ, Motunrayo Alaka, described the civic space as “fragile, repressive, and under sustained attack,” warning that “no democracy can thrive when voices of accountability are silenced.”

However, Waiya said the report did not reflect the realities of media practice in Kano, insisting that the state remains one of the most open and media-friendly in the country.

“The report can best be described as a mere figment of imagination by some armchair analysts masquerading under the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism,” the Commissioner said.

He noted that under Governor Abba Yusuf’s administration, Kano has maintained a strong record of promoting press freedom, responsible journalism, and civic engagement, pointing out that the governor has received several national and continental awards as Nigeria’s most media-friendly leader.

See also  Kwara to sanction food handlers for poor hygiene due to Lassa fever

According to him, Yusuf’s recognitions include honours from Vanguard, Blueprint, Leadership, and New Telegraph newspapers, as well as African Leadership and African Heritage magazines.

The Nigeria Union of Journalists also honoured him during its 70th anniversary as the “Most Media-Friendly Governor in Nigeria.”

Waiya further said the government had demonstrated practical support for the media by hosting the NUJ National Executive Council meeting in Kano, establishing the Online Journalists’ Chapel, and sponsoring the registration and training of 52 state and local government information officers with the Nigerian Institute of Public Relations.

He added that the government is working to domesticate the Freedom of Information Act in Kano as part of efforts to enhance access to information, accountability, and transparency.

The commissioner also cited the recent Civil Society Conference hosted by the state government, as well as the governor’s tolerance during a “Bad Governance” protest — where he personally received and listened to demonstrators at the Government House — as proof of Kano’s respect for free expression and civic rights.

“It is, therefore, clear that Kano cannot, by any credible standard, be classified among states that violate press freedom. On the contrary, the state remains a model of open governance, transparency, and mutual respect between government and the media,” Waiya said.

He urged the WSCIJ and similar organisations to verify their claims before releasing reports that could misrepresent states “genuinely promoting and supporting press freedom.”

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  ‘I hope social media won’t destroy Africa’ – Akpabio on story of Senate’s creation of 12 new states

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Tinubu to inaugurate $400m Rivers crude export terminal

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Unusual cough, fever stir panic in Lagos
Continue Reading

Trending