Connect with us

News

NSCDC deploys 10,000 personnel for Anambra gov poll

Published

on

The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps has deployed over 10,000 operatives to ensure adequate security during the forthcoming Anambra State governorship election scheduled for November 8.

The Commandant General of the Corps, Prof. Ahmed Audi, ordered the deployment, which includes tactical forces from the Corps’ National Headquarters in Abuja.

The move, according to the NSCDC spokesperson, Afolabi Babawale, is part of efforts to support the Nigeria Police Force, which is the lead agency for election security.

Babawale told PUNCH Online on Thursday that the deployment was aimed at maintaining peace and guaranteeing a credible electoral process.

“The Commandant General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Prof. Ahmed Audi, has deployed over 10,000 operatives, including tactical forces from the Corps’ National Headquarters, to enhance security at the governorship election in Anambra State,” he said.

He added that the Commandant General had addressed State Commandants and Heads of Tactical Squads, warning politicians and their supporters against any actions or statements capable of inciting violence before, during, or after the election.

He explained that the deployment aligned with the resolutions of the Inter-agency Consultative Committee on Election Security.

The spokesperson noted that the corps, alongside other security agencies, will monitor the election process and provide protection for electoral materials and officials on duty.

Officers, he added, have been instructed to carry out their duties professionally and respect citizens’ fundamental human rights.

“All intelligence and undercover personnel are to proceed with immediate effect and man the various identified flash points.

See also  Presidential aides visit Japan’s designated hometown for Nigerians

“Tactical forces are to commence round-the-clock patrol, while operatives deployed to various polling units and collation centres are to adhere strictly to the posting order.

“Based on the resolution of the Inter-agency Consultative Committee on Election Security, the NSCDC, alongside other security agencies on election duty, will monitor the election process and provide adequate security for election materials and electoral officials on duty.

“The officers have been directed to be professional while discharging their duties with respect for fundamental human rights of citizens,” the PRO stated.

According to him, the 10,250 operatives were drawn from the NSCDC National Headquarters Tactical Squad, Zone 13 in Awka, and state commands in Anambra, Edo, Kogi, Imo, Abia, Delta, Rivers, Enugu, Ebonyi, and Bayelsa.

Babawale assured residents of Anambra State that the corps is fully prepared to ensure a peaceful and hitch-free election.

In a related development, the Nigeria Police Force announced plans to deploy 45,000 officers across Anambra State for the election.

The Force also stated that vigilante groups would not be allowed to operate during the exercise.

Earlier on Tuesday, during the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security meeting held in Abuja, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof. Joash Amupitan, commended security agencies for their efforts in ensuring a safe environment for the upcoming polls.

He noted that coordinated patrols and strategic deployments would help guarantee peaceful conduct before, during, and after the election.

INEC disclosed that about 2.8 million registered voters are expected to participate in the poll, while 11 out of 13 scheduled pre-election activities have already been completed.

See also  FG deploys military retirees to secure ungoverned spaces

Among the remaining key activities are the conclusion of political campaigns on November 6, and the governorship election itself on November 8.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  Nigeria receives $187.3m as United States reviews aid conditions

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  FG declares holidays, deploys security amid terror alert ahead of Eid-el-Kabir celebration
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Senate rejects fresh amendment as Atiku, Obi, Amaechi push back on Electoral Act

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending