Connect with us

News

Marwa fights for second term as five rivals close in

Published

on

About two months to the end of his tenure, at least five contenders have reportedly joined the race to succeed the Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.).

The development is unfolding as Marwa, a former Military Administrator of Lagos State, is reportedly lobbying for another five-year term.

Marwa, who is now 72 years old, was appointed NDLEA Chairman on January 17, 2021, by the late President Muhammadu Buhari.

A top official in one of the security agencies, who confided in The PUNCH, said, “The tenure of Marwa will end in about two months, with stakeholders divided on whether he should be allowed a second term or not.

“So far, five people are aspiring to succeed him, including some retired military and police officers, security chiefs, and lawyers.

“Although Marwa is entitled to a second term, those after his job cited old age and President Bola Tinubu’s desire for reform in the agency for their aspiration.”

The identities of those jostling for Marwa’s position, however, were not disclosed when asked by The PUNCH.

Marwa’s recent visit to the Presidential Villa on Tuesday was reportedly part of ongoing efforts to secure a renewal of his appointment.

Some stakeholders opposed to his continuation as NDLEA Chairman have reportedly recommended him for an ambassadorial posting instead.

Three key factors cited for seeking Marwa’s replacement are his age, Tinubu’s ongoing reform agenda, and the preference for a seasoned law enforcement officer, either retired or still in active service, to head the agency.

See also  States pile up N1.06tn debt despite record allocations

The top security official told The PUNCH that the debate over Marwa’s reappointment was tied to wider justice sector reforms being championed by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN).

“Among the agencies in the justice sector, only the NDLEA has not undergone restructuring,” another official familiar with the matter noted, adding that the President aims to strengthen the rule of law, human rights, and access to justice through reforms across institutions such as the NDLEA, Nigerian Correctional Service, Code of Conduct Bureau, and Legal Aid Council.

The government official also hinted that intelligence assessments identified the NDLEA as needing “surgical reforms,” especially over alleged bureaucratic bottlenecks, promotion irregularities, and low prosecution rates.

“In spite of Marwa’s above-average performance, he has been seen as a lone ranger. The NDLEA bureaucracy is stifling the war against drugs,” one insider in the agency told The PUNCH.

Under Marwa’s leadership, the NDLEA reportedly arrested 31,675 drug offenders, with only 5,147 prosecuted and convicted, a figure the officials who spoke with The PUNCH considered too low compared to the scale of arrests.

To retain his seat, Marwa is said to be intensifying lobbying efforts, leveraging his old ties with Tinubu, whom he handed over to as Lagos State governor in 1999.

“Marwa is also battling to stay on the job, at least to earn a second term.

“It was part of the lobbying that made him see the President on Tuesday. History is repeating itself. He was the one who handed over to President Tinubu when he was sworn in as Lagos State governor in 1999.

See also  PHOTOS: Donald Trump touches down in Israel as hostages begin to be released

“He sees himself as more of a Lagosian and believes this connection may help his case,” the government official disclosed.

Speaking with The PUNCH on Wednesday on why prosecution was low, a retired Assistant Inspector General of Police, Wilson Inalegwu,   said little progress could be achieved because only vendors were being apprehended, adding that there must be a serious effort to track producers and distributors of hard drugs.

“We must move against the cultivation and distribution of these drugs — from their cultivation in Ondo, through the North Central, to Abuja.

“We should rather go after the barons, the dealers, and distributors, and ensure they are prosecuted. It is better to tackle the problem from the root by apprehending the barons,” he said.

He also called for advocacy and an “Operation Catch Them Young” campaign to curb the involvement of youths in drug trafficking and abuse, lamenting that many lives had been destroyed through substance addiction.

Since 2021, the NDLEA has intensified operations against drug cartels, traffickers, and producers across Nigeria, resulting in thousands of arrests and record seizures.

Between 2021 and 2024, the agency reportedly arrested over 31,000 suspects, seized more than 6,000 tonnes of illicit substances, and secured over 5,000 convictions in various courts.

These operations covered major drug hubs, including Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Edo, and Rivers States, with the agency targeting both street dealers and high-profile traffickers.

In Lagos, NDLEA operatives have consistently raided storage warehouses and intercepted shipments of cocaine, tramadol, and methamphetamine.

A landmark operation in September 2022 led to the discovery of a 1.8-tonne cocaine warehouse in the Ikorodu area, one of the largest seizures in Nigerian history. In Kano, the agency dismantled several drug networks supplying narcotics to northern states, while in Abuja, surveillance around transport parks and hotels led to the arrest of multiple cross-country couriers.

See also  Police begin enforcement of tinted glass, siren regulations in Edo, Delta

The NDLEA also uncovered methamphetamine laboratories and large cannabis plantations in Ondo, Edo, and Delta states, as it destroyed over 600 hectares of cannabis farms and arrested several cultivators in 2023.

The agency’s renewed performance under Marwa also earned Nigeria commendation from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime for its record seizures and enforcement drive.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Insecurity: Nigeria free to seek help from outside—OBJ

Published

on

Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared that Nigerians owe no one an apology for seeking assistance from the international community to tackle the country’s persistent insecurity, stressing that lives are being lost daily regardless of religion, ethnicity, or political affiliation.

Speaking on Friday night at the ongoing Plateau Unity Christmas Carols and Praise Festival in Jos, Obasanjo urged the Nigerian government to urgently deploy modern technology to curb killings, noting that no criminal should be beyond the reach of security agencies.

In these days of technology, there should be nobody who can hide after committing a crime,” he said.

Before I left government, we had the capacity to pick up anybody in Nigeria once identified… Every Nigerian life matters, whether Christian, Muslim or pagan. Nigerians are being killed; this must stop.
He insisted that Nigerians have the right to seek international partnerships if domestic efforts fall short, arguing that saving lives must remain the nation’s priority.

Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, also addressed the gathering, reassuring citizens that Nigeria would overcome its current trials.

By the grace of God, those who want Nigeria destroyed will not succeed,” he declared, praying that national and state leaders continue to receive strength and wisdom to act rightly.

The governor explained that the annual carol event was inspired by the vision of uniting the people of Plateau through worship and thanksgiving.

God is delighted when we come together in unity to exalt His name. Despite all odds, we are gathered again this year to celebrate the goodness of God in the land of the living,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: Donald Trump touches down in Israel as hostages begin to be released

Mutfwang welcomed dignitaries in attendance, including Obasanjo; General Lawrence Onoja (rtd.); former Plateau Governors Joshua Dariye and Jonah Jang (with his wife, Ngo Talatu); former Minister of Women Affairs, Dame Pauline Tallen; former Adamawa State Governor, Boni Haruna; former Chief of Defence Staff, General Martin Luther Agwai (rtd.); and the GOC 3 Division, Major General Folorunsho Oyinlola.

“Expressing delight in the diversity of worshippers, the governor said Plateau citizens had put aside denominational differences to worship under one banner.““With unity, we will shut the door against the enemy that troubles us,” he said.“The event featured ministrations from renowned gospel artistes including Buchi, Uche Etiaba, Pastor Chingtok, and choirs drawn from various denominations.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

‘Moles sabotaging military war against banditry’

Published

on

Retired senior military officers have stated that internal compromises, infiltration, and weak enforcement of security laws are sabotaging the country’s war against banditry and terrorism.

The former military personnel said some officers in the armed forces were working against the system.

They spoke amid growing public concern that breaches within the security services may be driving a resurgence of terror attacks across the country in recent months.

On Wednesday, former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Idris Wase, revealed that suspected Boko Haram members and other criminal elements were once found on the recruitment lists of the Nigerian Army and the police.

In Kebbi State, bandits who abducted dozens of schoolgirls struck less than 30 minutes after troops were withdrawn from the school, a development that has prompted public outrage and demands to identify the officer who ordered the withdrawal.

Speaking with Saturday PUNCH, former Troop Commander in the Nigerian Army and immediate past Director of ICT at the Army Signals Headquarters, Gen Peter Aro (retd.), said recent revelations showed that infiltration of the security forces had become an inevitable consequence of a weakened system.

“These developments strongly suggest that Nigeria’s security architecture is grappling with internal compromises that can no longer be dismissed as coincidence,” he said.

Aro added that recruitment should be governed by merit, profiling, and deep vetting, lamenting that political godfathers routinely push candidates forward, bypassing security checks and weakening the integrity of the forces.

Aro said the disclosure that Boko Haram suspects appeared on Army and police recruitment lists showed how deeply “Nigeria’s security gateways have been compromised.”

See also  VIDEO: Tinubu engages UK, seeks Ekweremadu’s transfer to Nigeria

He also criticised the moral contradictions in the country’s handling of public figures, who downplay the crimes of armed groups, warning that such mixed messaging damages national cohesion.

Aro linked operational lapses to possible insider collusion, citing the Kebbi school abduction.

He said, “Nigerians understand timing, and they understand patterns. Such precision is rarely accidental. It raises legitimate questions about whether insiders leaked information or deliberately created a security vacuum.”

The ex-general added that troop withdrawals in conflict zones couldn’t be dismissed as routine mistakes, saying, “In a conflict zone, unexplained troop movement is never a clerical oversight; it is often a marker of internal compromise.”

While noting that moles thrive because the country has failed to treat national security as sacred, Aro said, “The deeper tragedy is that these moles are not appearing by chance; they are the result of a permissive political culture.

“Until Nigeria draws firm moral lines and seals the cracks inside its own institutions, the enemy outside will continue to find willing accomplices within.”

He also faulted the Federal Government’s increasing reliance on negotiations to secure the release of abducted victims.

“These things have become a business in Nigeria. Until we address the internal compromises and strengthen our security institutions, we will keep creating incentives for more abductions,” he added.

Similarly, former commander of the Osun State Amotekun Corps, Brig. Gen. Bashir Adewinbi (retd.), said recent arrests of security operatives collaborating with gunmen confirmed that saboteurs are undermining the country’s internal security efforts.

He said, “In any organisation, there are moles. You can’t rule out the possibility. I read that a Deputy Commissioner of Police was recently arrested along with some bandits when their enclaves were stormed.

See also  Police begin enforcement of tinted glass, siren regulations in Edo, Delta

“That shows we need to do more in separating the wheat from the chaff in all the security agencies, not only in the military.”

Adewinbi described the trend as dangerous, recalling the 1980s case of armed robber Lawrence Anini, whose operations were aided by a senior police officer.

He added, “In the days of Anini, DSP Yamu was arrested and he confessed that he was the one backing the criminal. Let’s call a spade a spade. It was confirmed, and the man was eventually executed. How are we sure that many like him are still not in the service till today?”

Adewinbi said such internal sabotage was weakening Nigeria’s anti-terror fight.

“We need to face reality and do the needful to make sure we don’t deceive ourselves in this country. People should be held responsible and accountable,” he said.

The former general also faulted the government for failing to enforce laws meant to reform the security system.

He argued that even though there are laws in the country, not all of them are efficiently enforced in a way that can deter criminality.

During the plenary on Wednesday, members of the House of Representatives had faulted the Federal Government for negotiating with bandits to secure the release of 24 students abducted from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga, in Kebbi State.

The lawmakers, under the coalition “House to the Rescue,” said the government’s engagement with kidnappers, disclosed by President Bola Tinubu’s aide, Mr Bayo Onanuga, amounted to a betrayal of Nigerians and undermined national security.

Backing the Federal Government’s non-kinetic strategy, Adewinbi said ransom-driven negotiations have turned kidnapping into a lucrative criminal business.

See also  Tambuwal fights back over N189bn EFCC probe

“These things would have stopped in Nigeria, but people see it as a way of making money. It is now a business,” he said.

While acknowledging the emotional pressure on families of abducted victims, he insisted that prevention remains the only sustainable solution.

“The only thing is to prevent kidnapping. Once a kidnap occurs, we have no choice but to dance to their tune,” he added.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Army elevates 105 to Maj Gen, Brig Gen

Published

on

A total of 105 senior officers of the Nigerian Army have been elevated to the ranks of Major General and Brigadier General, following the approval of the Army Council.

Of the figure, 28 Brigadier Generals were promoted to Major General, while 77 Colonels were elevated to Brigadier General.

Those promoted to Major General, according to a statement on Friday by the service’s spokesperson, Lt. Col. Appolonia Anele, include Brig Gen O. Adegbe of the Defence Intelligence Agency; Brig Gen S.M. Uba, Director of Defence Information; Brig Gen R.E. Hedima, Acting Chief of Military Intelligence (Army); and Brig Gen R.T. Utsaha, Deputy Director of Defence Operations.

Others are Brig Gen A.M. Umar, Commandant of the Warrant Officer Academy; Brig Gen S. Sulaiman, Deputy Military Secretary (Army); Brig Gen I.O. Bassey, Director of the Nigerian Army Operations Centre; and Brig Gen C.A. Ekeator of the Nigerian Army School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering.

Also promoted are Brig Gen S.Y. Yakasai, Acting Director of Procurement in the Office of the Chief of Army Staff; Brig Gen W.L. Nzidee of the Army Headquarters Department of Logistics; Brig Gen S.A. Emmanuel of the Nigerian Army Signals; Brig Gen S.S. Tilawan, Acting Commander, Sector 3 Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai; Brig Gen M.O. Agi, Desk Officer, Tertiary Education Trust Fund at the Nigerian Defence Academy; and Brig Gen I.M. Abbas, Commander, 34 Brigade. Brig Gen Z.A. Saidu was promoted posthumously.

Those promoted from Colonel to Brigadier General include Col Y. Ibrahim of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, Abuja; Col N.N. Gambo of the Army Headquarters Department of Civil-Military Affairs; and Col A. Saidu of the Nigerian Army Finance Corps.

See also  Gombe Commissioner seeks protection of northern water resources

Others are Col A. Ali of Army Headquarters Garrison; Col I. Waziri of the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff; Col M.M. Sani of the Armed Forces Command and Staff College, Jaji; Col A.A. Alkali of the Nigerian Army Dog Centre; Col A.O. Ndah of the Army Headquarters Department of Training; Col I.B. Sheriff of Headquarters 9 Brigade; Col K.R. Apata of the Army Headquarters Provost Group; Col M.K. Akpuogwu of Operation Whirl Stroke; and Col P.U. Nnaji of the Nigerian Army Operations Monitoring Support Team.

Additional officers promoted include Col M.T. Nagudu of the Nigerian Army Armour School; Col K.O. Bukoye, Commander, 401 Special Forces Brigade; Col O. Adole of the Nigerian Army Medical Corps; Col J.A. Ikagba of the 68 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col D.C. Ibeh of the 8 Division Medical Services and Hospital; Col G.S. Chohwore of the 44 Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; Col O.G. Okoye of the Nigerian Army Reference Hospital; and Col Y.K. Audu of the Joint Task Force, Operation Hadin Kai.

Anele said the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Waidi Shaibu, congratulated the newly promoted officers and urged them to sustain professionalism and demonstrate effective leadership.

He directed them to inspire their subordinates through personal conduct and pursue innovative approaches to emerging security challenges.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending