Connect with us

News

Marwa fights for second term as five rivals close in

Published

on

About two months to the end of his tenure, at least five contenders have reportedly joined the race to succeed the Chairman of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Brig. Gen. Buba Marwa (retd.).

The development is unfolding as Marwa, a former Military Administrator of Lagos State, is reportedly lobbying for another five-year term.

Marwa, who is now 72 years old, was appointed NDLEA Chairman on January 17, 2021, by the late President Muhammadu Buhari.

A top official in one of the security agencies, who confided in The PUNCH, said, “The tenure of Marwa will end in about two months, with stakeholders divided on whether he should be allowed a second term or not.

“So far, five people are aspiring to succeed him, including some retired military and police officers, security chiefs, and lawyers.

“Although Marwa is entitled to a second term, those after his job cited old age and President Bola Tinubu’s desire for reform in the agency for their aspiration.”

The identities of those jostling for Marwa’s position, however, were not disclosed when asked by The PUNCH.

Marwa’s recent visit to the Presidential Villa on Tuesday was reportedly part of ongoing efforts to secure a renewal of his appointment.

Some stakeholders opposed to his continuation as NDLEA Chairman have reportedly recommended him for an ambassadorial posting instead.

Three key factors cited for seeking Marwa’s replacement are his age, Tinubu’s ongoing reform agenda, and the preference for a seasoned law enforcement officer, either retired or still in active service, to head the agency.

See also  Buhari’s Family Thanks Nigerians For Support During Burial, Prayers

The top security official told The PUNCH that the debate over Marwa’s reappointment was tied to wider justice sector reforms being championed by the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Prince Lateef Fagbemi (SAN).

“Among the agencies in the justice sector, only the NDLEA has not undergone restructuring,” another official familiar with the matter noted, adding that the President aims to strengthen the rule of law, human rights, and access to justice through reforms across institutions such as the NDLEA, Nigerian Correctional Service, Code of Conduct Bureau, and Legal Aid Council.

The government official also hinted that intelligence assessments identified the NDLEA as needing “surgical reforms,” especially over alleged bureaucratic bottlenecks, promotion irregularities, and low prosecution rates.

“In spite of Marwa’s above-average performance, he has been seen as a lone ranger. The NDLEA bureaucracy is stifling the war against drugs,” one insider in the agency told The PUNCH.

Under Marwa’s leadership, the NDLEA reportedly arrested 31,675 drug offenders, with only 5,147 prosecuted and convicted, a figure the officials who spoke with The PUNCH considered too low compared to the scale of arrests.

To retain his seat, Marwa is said to be intensifying lobbying efforts, leveraging his old ties with Tinubu, whom he handed over to as Lagos State governor in 1999.

“Marwa is also battling to stay on the job, at least to earn a second term.

“It was part of the lobbying that made him see the President on Tuesday. History is repeating itself. He was the one who handed over to President Tinubu when he was sworn in as Lagos State governor in 1999.

See also  Nigerian embassies hit by unpaid rent, salary arrears

“He sees himself as more of a Lagosian and believes this connection may help his case,” the government official disclosed.

Speaking with The PUNCH on Wednesday on why prosecution was low, a retired Assistant Inspector General of Police, Wilson Inalegwu,   said little progress could be achieved because only vendors were being apprehended, adding that there must be a serious effort to track producers and distributors of hard drugs.

“We must move against the cultivation and distribution of these drugs — from their cultivation in Ondo, through the North Central, to Abuja.

“We should rather go after the barons, the dealers, and distributors, and ensure they are prosecuted. It is better to tackle the problem from the root by apprehending the barons,” he said.

He also called for advocacy and an “Operation Catch Them Young” campaign to curb the involvement of youths in drug trafficking and abuse, lamenting that many lives had been destroyed through substance addiction.

Since 2021, the NDLEA has intensified operations against drug cartels, traffickers, and producers across Nigeria, resulting in thousands of arrests and record seizures.

Between 2021 and 2024, the agency reportedly arrested over 31,000 suspects, seized more than 6,000 tonnes of illicit substances, and secured over 5,000 convictions in various courts.

These operations covered major drug hubs, including Lagos, Kano, Abuja, Edo, and Rivers States, with the agency targeting both street dealers and high-profile traffickers.

In Lagos, NDLEA operatives have consistently raided storage warehouses and intercepted shipments of cocaine, tramadol, and methamphetamine.

A landmark operation in September 2022 led to the discovery of a 1.8-tonne cocaine warehouse in the Ikorodu area, one of the largest seizures in Nigerian history. In Kano, the agency dismantled several drug networks supplying narcotics to northern states, while in Abuja, surveillance around transport parks and hotels led to the arrest of multiple cross-country couriers.

See also  El-Rufai alleges plot to stall release

The NDLEA also uncovered methamphetamine laboratories and large cannabis plantations in Ondo, Edo, and Delta states, as it destroyed over 600 hectares of cannabis farms and arrested several cultivators in 2023.

The agency’s renewed performance under Marwa also earned Nigeria commendation from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime for its record seizures and enforcement drive.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Defence Headquarters Social Media Account Hacked

Published

on

The official social media page of the Defence Headquarters (DHQ), 𝕏 to be precise, has been attacked by suspected hackers.

Naija News reports that the DHQ confirmed the development in a statement made public on Saturday, August 15, by the Director of Defence Information, Maj. General Samaila Uba.

He said the body has hence treated the incident as a cybersecurity matter, with technical measures activated to secure the account.

“The Defence Headquarters wishes to inform members of the public, the media and all stakeholders that it has detected an attempted unauthorised compromise of its official X (formerly Twitter) account.

“The incident is currently being treated as a cybersecurity matter, and appropriate technical measures have been activated to secure the account and prevent further unauthorised access,” the statement noted.

The DHQ urged members of the public to disregard any publication from the account at the moment while ensuring that efforts were ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“The Defence Headquarters assures the public that efforts are ongoing to fully restore control of the official account.

“Consequently, members of the public are advised to disregard any suspicious, unauthorised or misleading content that may be posted from the account during this period,” he said.

Uba stressed the DHQ’s committment to maintaining high standards of information security and ensuring that Nigerians continued to receive accurate, timely and credible information on the activities and operations of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.

“We appreciate the understanding and vigilance of the public and will provide further updates as necessary,” he said.

See also  El-Rufai alleges plot to stall release

He further urged Nigerians to henceforth check its verified accounts on other platforms, including Facebook under the name “Defence Headquarters Nigeria,” Instagram at @defenceheadquarters and its WhatsApp Channel, Defence Headquarters Nigeria for reliable information.

Source: naijanews.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Seven workers killed, 19 rescued in India tunnel accident

Published

on

At least seven workers were killed and 13 injured following a landslide that sent water and debris gushing into a tunnel under construction in north India, officials said Friday.

The incident occurred late Thursday in the Himalayan state of Uttarakhand, where workers were constructing a tunnel for a state-run hydropower project.

At least three workers are still missing, while 19 were rescued from the Tehri Hydro Development Corporation site, the State Disaster Management Authority said in a statement.

Videos shared by local authorities showed rescue workers equipped with head-mounted torches using makeshift rafts to reach the flooded section of the tunnel.

Uttarakhand has been battered by heavy monsoon rains in recent days.

Accidents on large construction sites are common in India, but ecologists say excessive development projects have led to more disasters in the fragile Himalayan areas.

Last month, 20 people working in a tunnel for another state-run hydroelectric project were killed in the remote northeastern state of Sikkim.

In 2023, 41 workers were rescued after being trapped for 17 days inside a tunnel that collapsed in Uttarakhand.

Hundreds of people have been killed in floods and landslides across the country since the start of the annual monsoon season in June.

Experts say climate change, coupled with poorly planned development, is increasing the frequency, severity, and impact of the disasters.

AFP

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

See also  Shehu Sani backs Remi Tinubu over US air strikes in Sokoto
Continue Reading

News

RATTAWU honours DSS DG for strategic intelligence, national security

Published

on

The Radio, Television, Theatre and Arts Workers Union has honoured the Director-General of the Department of State Services, Mr Oluwatosin Ajayi, with the ‘Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award’, as part of activities marking its 50th anniversary

RATTAWU conferred the award on Ajayi on Thursday at his office, when the National President of the group, Emeka Kalu, led members to a media/security-critical engagement and strategic partnership meeting for national development in Abuja.

Kalu praised the appointment of Ajayi in 2024 by President Bola Tinubu, describing it as putting “a round peg in a round hole.”

He added that the award was an initiative of the union designed to recognise individuals and institutions that had made outstanding contributions to national development, security, democracy, culture and the growth of Nigeria.

He said, “Your appointment by Mr President demonstrates the importance of placing capable Nigerians with integrity and professional competence in strategic positions of national responsibility.

“The role of the DSS in protecting Nigeria’s national interests, gathering critical intelligence and supporting national security cannot be overemphasised.

“Particularly now that this country is confronted with complex security and emerging technological challenges, appointments like yours are the best ever done by Mr President.

“That is why this union decided to honour you with the Golden Era Pillar of Critical and Strategic Intelligence for National Development Award.”

Responding, the DSS Director-General, Oluwatosin Ajayi, expressed appreciation to the leadership of RATTAWU for the honour.

Ajayi described the recognition as a significant gesture that would further encourage him and the service to remain committed to their responsibilities to the nation.

See also  Resident Doctors Insist On Planned Strike Despite Court Order

Source: punchng.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending