Connect with us

News

FEC approves biometric flight boarding, PH airport concession

Published

on

The Federal Government has approved the concession of the Port Harcourt International Airport to private operators, saying the move will boost efficiency and reduce losses incurred in managing underperforming terminals across the country.

Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, who disclosed this to State House correspondents after Thursday’s Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja, also assured aviation workers that the concession would not lead to job losses.

Keyamo stated, “This is a message to the unions: we will engage them. Nobody will lose their job. I’m making this very clear because there has been all kinds of misinformation to the union members. I am pro-union, pro-workers, and I know the kind of pressure they have been putting on me, including people within the system instigating them against these concessions.

“They will not dictate policies of the government. I repeat, no worker will lose his job as a result of concessions.”

According to the minister, the Federal Government had previously struggled to attract interest in the Port Harcourt Airport under the previous administration. However, renewed investor confidence under the Tinubu-led government led to a turnaround.

“Before we came in, Port Harcourt was a no-go area. Almost all the investors shunned Port Harcourt. But since this government came to power, more than six people were scrambling and falling over themselves to get to Port Harcourt. We now have a business case approved,” he said.

Keyamo said the FEC approved all eight memos presented by the Ministry of Aviation. These include the procurement of 15 new firefighting vehicles to be deployed at the country’s five international airports: Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Port Harcourt, and Enugu.

See also  PHOTOS: Hamas begins handing over Israeli hostages

“This is in tune with ICAO standards. The International Civil Aviation Organisation regularly audits our airports to determine whether they meet global standards. One of the key requirements is adequate fire-fighting equipment,” he said.

Also approved was the procurement and installation of tertiary power supply at all airports and 14 Very High Frequency remote stations managed by the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency. This, he said, is to ensure uninterrupted support for air navigation systems.

According to Keyamo, the Council also approved the full business case for a biometric verification system at all Nigerian airports.

“Too many anonymous people board aircraft using fake identities. That is not good for national security. With this system, your NIN will be linked to boarding data. We will verify that you are truly the one flying. This meets ICAO standards,” the Minister said.

The Council also approved the construction of a permanent headquarters for NAMA in Abuja, following its relocation from Lagos. Currently, the agency operates from rented facilities in the Federal Capital Territory, the minister explained.

Keyamo further announced that all properties owned by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria in and around airports have been officially excluded from sale to private individuals.

“This is a public announcement to those who purported to have bought airport properties: we will not give those properties to them,” he declared. “Airports are high-security zones. We need quarters for emergency personnel like the fire service and security staff. The President has now approved a memo to that effect,” he explained.

He noted that the previous disposals, carried out by a presidential committee under former President Olusegun Obasanjo, had caused longstanding security concerns at several airports.

See also  Corruption: FG developing AI platform targeting hidden wealth, asset verification — CCB chairman

The Council also approved contracts within the ministry’s 2024 budget for runway and perimeter lighting, to allow late-night operations in select airports. “Some airports close as early as 6 pm because there are no lights for night operations. We want airlines to fly till 10 or 11 pm to increase capacity and revenue,” Keyamo announced.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  Corruption: FG developing AI platform targeting hidden wealth, asset verification — CCB chairman

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Corruption: FG developing AI platform targeting hidden wealth, asset verification — CCB chairman

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Hamas begins handing over Israeli hostages
Continue Reading

Trending