Connect with us

News

Veteran Nollywood Actor Baba Gebu Dies at 82 After Brief Illness

Published

on

The Nigerian film industry is in mourning following the death of veteran Yoruba actor Oyewole Olowomojuore, widely known as Baba Gebu. The legendary thespian, who spent decades contributing to Nollywood’s growth, passed away on Tuesday after a short illness.Online movie streaming services

The heartbreaking news was confirmed by actor and filmmaker Kunle Afod on his verified Instagram page on Wednesday. Afod, who has worked alongside Baba Gebu on several projects, described the loss as deeply saddening and a significant blow to the industry. In a moving tribute, he wrote: “It saddens my heart as I announce the passing away of our great legend, a great actor who passed away this evening after a brief illness… BABA GEBU, may your soul rest in peace.”

Baba Gebu was celebrated not only for his acting skills but also for his mentorship of younger actors in the Yoruba film sector. Over the years, he starred in numerous acclaimed productions that left a lasting mark on audiences and helped shape the landscape of Yoruba cinema. His ability to embody complex characters with authenticity made him a household name and earned him immense respect among his peers and fans alike.

Beyond his professional achievements, Baba Gebu’s personal life also drew public attention, particularly during a difficult period in 2024 when he lost his wife. In interviews at the time, he revealed that returning to the film set and immersing himself in acting helped him navigate his grief and stave off depression. Many of his colleagues, including Kunle Afod, rallied around him, offering both emotional and professional support, which helped him regain his footing and continue delivering memorable performances.

See also  $83.3m defamation award against Trump stands, says U.S court

Throughout his career, Baba Gebu was known for his dedication to the craft, his humility, and his commitment to nurturing emerging talents. He was a mentor to many young actors, guiding them in honing their skills and understanding the nuances of the film industry. His influence extended beyond the screen, as he consistently encouraged professionalism, discipline, and respect for the art of storytelling.

The death of Baba Gebu leaves a significant void in the Yoruba film industry and the broader Nigerian movie landscape. Fans, colleagues, and industry insiders have taken to social media to express their sorrow and pay tribute to a man whose work and legacy will continue to inspire generations of actors.

As Nollywood comes to terms with this loss, his contributions to the industry—both on and off screen—will be remembered. Baba Gebu’s films, mentorship, and unwavering commitment to the art of acting ensure that his name will remain synonymous with excellence in Yoruba cinema.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  We’ll support Nigeria in fight against terrorism – France

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  FG spent billions on Conference Centre but primary schools remain shut in FCT – Peter Obi

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Sokoto extends recruitment deadline to October 12
Continue Reading

Trending