Connect with us

Crime

Herdsmen killed my husband while he dredged sand – Enugu widow

Published

on

Twenty-seven-year-old Nkiruka Okeke, a mother of four, recounts to Grace Edema how her husband, Oluzuluike, was stabbed to death by suspected herdsmen while working near a stream in Obuovia community, Enugu State

What do you do for a living?

I sell okpa (a local delicacy made from Bambara nuts) along the Enugu expressway.

Where exactly do you live?

I live in Onoli community, also along the expressway in Enugu. It’s a small community where many people survive through petty trading, farming, and sand-dredging jobs. That’s where I lived with my husband.

How old was your husband before his death?

He was 33 years old. He did manual labour, mostly dredging and packing sand from streams or riversides for building purposes. He would take the sand to the roadside for buyers. It was hard work, but that was how he provided for our family.

Can you tell us what really happened to him?

Everything happened so suddenly. On Friday, October 3, he woke up early, and we spoke. He told me to prepare the children for school before leaving for work. I didn’t know that would be the last time I’d ever see him alive.

Not long after he left, a man ran to our house shouting my name, asking me to hurry. He said my husband had been taken to the hospital. I was confused and terrified. When I asked what happened, he said my husband was stabbed by herdsmen.

I ran straight to the hospital and saw my husband lying there. He managed to speak briefly and said, “The herdsmen stabbed me in the chest.” Those were his last words. After that, he couldn’t speak again.

The doctors said he needed to be transferred immediately to the University Teaching Hospital, but before morning, he died. That’s how I lost him.

Did you see the injury yourself?

Yes, I did. He was stabbed in the chest. That was the only wound on his body; there were no other injuries.

Did the herdsmen take anything from him?

No. His phone, bag, and work tools were all found where he usually worked. My husband was very careful. He kept his bag and money safely hidden whenever he worked. He only carried his shovel and basin when digging sand.

How did people find out he had been attacked?

After being stabbed, my husband managed to run to the roadside. He met a man who sells gas near the expressway and begged for help. He told the man that he was stabbed by herdsmen. That was all he could say before collapsing. The man quickly rushed him to the hospital.

See also  PHOTOS: 13 Zamfara residents fleeing bandit attack drown, 22 others missing

By the time I arrived, he was still alive but very weak. He looked at me, repeated those words about the herdsmen, and then fell silent.

What time of day did the attack happen?

According to the doctor and witnesses, it happened around 1 p.m. He had eaten at a canteen near the expressway before going to work. The attack happened at Obuovia, near a stream where he usually worked.

It’s not a public stream for fetching water; it’s mostly surrounded by farmlands and not deep inside the bush. People go there to wash, fetch water for farm work, or bathe before going home. It’s close to the expressway and not far from where people live. That’s why I still don’t understand how nobody saw the attackers clearly that day.

Did your husband usually work alone?

Most times, yes. That was his usual spot. Some passersby knew him and often greeted him. That Friday, they saw him earlier in the day but later heard what had happened. The place isn’t far from where people farm or walk to the market.

Was he involved in any argument with anyone before the attack?

No, never. My husband was a peaceful man. He didn’t fight with anyone. If he had, maybe his body would have shown signs of struggle. But the only wound he had was the stab to his chest.

Do you think this attack was planned?

I don’t know. Sometimes I feel maybe they had been targeting him. That place is open, and people pass by often. Maybe they were hiding and waiting to attack someone. I just don’t know. But I believe God sees everything.

How would you describe your husband as a person?

He was kind and hardworking. He struggled every day to feed us. Even when we had nothing, he remained a good man. Losing him like this is unbearably painful.

Late Mr Okeke

You mentioned that you have four children. How old are they?

Yes, I have four children; three boys and one girl. My first child, a girl, is eight years old. My second, a boy, is seven. The third is four, and the youngest is three years and three months old.

How are your children coping emotionally with their father’s death?

It’s not easy. They cry sometimes. My second son is currently unwell; his temperature is high. I took him to the pharmacy, and they gave him an injection, but he’s still weak and not eating much. I want to take him to the hospital, but I don’t have the money right now.

See also  Four feared killed as gunmen attack burial ceremony in Anambra

That must be very hard for you. How have you been coping since your husband died?

It’s been extremely tough. I cry every day. Some neighbours bring food or money when they visit, that’s how we’ve been surviving. The children are still small; they don’t understand everything yet, but they know their father is gone.

Just yesterday, my daughter came home from school crying because they were asked to buy new textbooks. I told her to wait and assured her that God would help us.

One of my children’s teachers came with her husband. They spoke kindly to me, saying they understood my situation. But still, I don’t know how I will buy the books or pay their fees now. Everything depends on God.

Has your husband been buried?

Not yet. His body has been taken to his village for burial. The men in our kindred are handling it.

You mentioned that herdsmen have been disturbing the community. Can you tell us more?

Yes, they’ve been troubling us for a long time. They move around the farmlands, and nobody can go there freely. They destroy crops, and when people challenge them, they attack. Even now, everyone is afraid. Many people have stopped farming. If you go there, you might not return.

Have you personally seen them before?

I’ve seen some passing with their cows near the market area, but not the ones in the bush. Those in the bush don’t come out. I’ve only heard stories of them attacking farmers and chasing people away.

Do they allow their cows to eat people’s crops?

Yes, they do. Their cows eat everything: rice, cassava, yams, and even vegetables. Last year, my husband and I planted rice. When it was time to harvest, the cows destroyed everything. All our efforts were wasted. Most people have stopped farming now.

That must have affected your livelihood badly.

Yes, it has. Before, we used to eat from our farm. Now, we have to buy everything from the market. Even to eat, you need money. That’s why my husband continued with the sand-dredging job; it was our only source of income.

What is your community doing about this situation?

See also  PHOTOS: Nigeria Police uncovers N7.7bn telecom fraud, arrests 6 suspects

We have community leaders, but I don’t really know what they are doing. Sometimes they say they’re trying, but nothing changes. These herdsmen are still around. People are afraid to go to the police because they say the herdsmen have powerful backers. I just pray that this ends.

If you could speak directly to the government, what would you say?

I would beg them to come to our rescue. We are dying silently. The government should send security operatives to drive these herdsmen out of our villages. People are hungry, poor, and scared. There’s no safety, no farming, nothing.

The government we have now doesn’t care. All they think about are elections and votes. After you vote for them, they forget you. We are just suffering. Even if you cry, nobody listens. I have lost my husband, and many others are suffering the same pain.

Have you received any help from relatives or friends?

They come to console me, bringing little food or some money. But everyone is struggling. I can’t depend on them. I just keep praying that God will help me raise these children. It’s not easy at all.

What are your hopes for your children’s education?

I want them to go to school. That was my husband’s dream too. Even if I suffer, I will make sure they are educated. I don’t want them to go through what we did. I don’t know how I’ll pay their school fees now, but I believe God will send help.

I will try to persevere. Even if I have no one to depend on, I will keep my faith in God. It’s not easy, but I know He will help me raise my children.

What do you wish for right now?

All I want is justice for my husband and protection for people like us. We are not safe. If the government doesn’t act, more people will die. I also pray that God gives me the strength to take care of my children. I have no one else; my hope is in God alone.

Sometimes, I sit and wonder where to begin: school fees, food, rent, everything. It’s overwhelming. But I know God will not forsake me. I just pray this never happens to another woman. My husband did not deserve to die like that. He only went out to work to provide for his family.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get – BBNaija star, Tacha

Published

on

BBNaija star, Tacha, has called for the maximum punishment for Mirabel, the lady who in a viral video claimed she was r@ped inside her home by an unknown man.

In a shocking revelation, Mirabel on Thursday, February 19, confessed to social critic, VeryDarkMan, that she lied about the r@pe claim. She claimed she was dealing with serious mental health issues which was why she came up with the false claim.

Many Nigerians have called for her to be prosecuted. In a post shared on X, Tacha also called for Mirabel’s prosecution. She opined that Mirable should be punished just the way a r@pist would be punished if found guilty.

‘’Now that its been established that Mirabel lied about the r*pe allegation, I expect the police and the agencies in charge of handling r*pe and assault cases to make sure they penalize Mirabel and that she receives the same punishment a r*pist would get… CAUSE we live in a very wicked and terrible society where r*pists and r*pe apologists are looking for excuses to continue to r*pe and abuse women..

We should NEVER allow stupid women to empower these evil and wicked men! She must be penalized”

Mirabel should receive the same punishment a r*pist would get - BBNaija star, Tacha

 

In a follow-up video, Tacha stated that false rape claims only empower r@pe apologists to dismiss the claims of real r@pe victims whenever a fresh case of the crime surfaces.

 ‘’R@pe is a very serious issue. Women should never waponize r@pe for whatever reason. Never use r@pe to get back at an ex or a man. Never try to do so because at the end of the day, you are taking away from the real victims. You are Honestly!

You are empowering these r@pe apologists and r@pists because they feel like the next girl that comes out to talk about it how many people will believe her? because truthfully how many people will believe her?”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: Boko Haram terrorists k!ll three, set palace, houses and vehicles ablaze in Borno
Continue Reading

Crime

Police, military step up patrols in Kebbi LG after 33 killed

Published

on

The Kebbi State Police Command has reinforced security in the Bui District of Arewa Local Government Area following a deadly armed cattle rustling incident that left 33 people dead.

In a statement issued on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, said additional personnel and operational assets had been deployed to the affected communities in collaboration with the military and other security agencies.

He said sustained area domination patrols were ongoing to stabilise the district and prevent further violence.

“The Command deeply regrets the loss of thirty-three innocent lives and extends its heartfelt condolences to the families affected and the entire Arewa community,” the statement read.

According to the police, “preliminary investigations revealed that suspected Lakurawa militants entered Bui District on February 18 to rustle cattle.

“The attackers were believed to have crossed into the area from Gudu Local Government Area”

Residents from Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago reportedly mobilised in response, leading to a fatal confrontation.

The police emphasised that incidents involving heavily armed criminal elements require coordinated security intervention and warned residents against directly engaging such groups.

“Members of the public are urged to promptly report suspicious movements through established security channels rather than confront armed criminals, as such actions pose grave risks,” Usman stated.

Meanwhile, earlier reports indicated that at least 34 people were feared killed when gunmen swept through several communities in Arewa LGA in coordinated daylight attacks, triggering panic across the wider Kebbi North Senatorial District.

See also  Nigeria deports 42 Chinese and Philippine nationals convicted of cybercrimes and ponzi schemes

Security forces have since launched targeted operations to track and apprehend the perpetrators, block escape routes and strengthen early warning mechanisms.

The Command urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as efforts intensify to restore lasting peace in the troubled communities.

Continue Reading

Crime

DSS invites suspects as wife opens up on the abduction of Dadiyata

Published

on

The Department of State Services has reopened investigations into the 2019 disappearance of Abubakar Idris, popularly known as Dadiyata, and is set to invite suspects in connection with the case.

Dadiyata, a lecturer at the Federal University Dutsinma, Katsina State, was declared missing on August 1, 2019, after gunmen reportedly took him from his residence in Kaduna.

His whereabouts remain unknown nearly seven years later.

The development comes as Kadijah, the wife of social media commentator and critic, expressed fresh worries over her husband’s disappearance.

She spoke in a video interview with Ambassador-designate Reno Omokri, which was released on his X handle on Thursday.

Omokri, who visited the mother of two at her residence, sought support for Kadijah and her children, pledging to get justice for her.

“We pray that one day, he will come back,” Kadijah said when asked what she had to say about her husband’s disappearance over the years, especially given recent comments made by former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai.

Appealing to Nigerians, she said, “They should please do whatever they can to help us know his whereabouts, if he’s alive or not.”

Omokri further asked Kadijah what she had to say about an old comment made about her husband that suggested “mockery.”

“It was somebody who showed me (the post) because I didn’t have a phone at that time,” she said of the 2019 comment reportedly made by the son of a former Kaduna State Governor.

The post had read, “Those same clowns who encouraged him when he was creating false stories and capitalising on lies that could endanger lives solely for political ends are the same individuals trending hashtags asking, ‘#WhereisDadiyata.’

See also  Police arrest fake doctor treating eye patients in Akwa Ibom

“Dangerous lies in the public space have consequences. I felt bad about it (the comment). I can’t even explain,” Kadijah stated in the video.

She further narrated how her husband was abducted as he alighted from his car in their compound on August 2, 2019, saying she watched from the window as it happened.

Assuring Kadijah of Dadiyata’s safe return if he is alive, and justice in the unlikely event of his death, Omokri empathised with the woman and sought assistance for the family.

He appealed to the Governor of Kaduna State, Uba Sani, for “whatever he can do for them… to help their living conditions, probably relocate them, help their education, or help the mother with a job. Nigeria owes a duty of care to this family for what has happened to them.”

Dadiyata, a lecturer and online commentator, was abducted on August 2, 2019, by unidentified gunmen as he drove into his home in Barnawa, Kaduna.

The incident has continued to attract public attention and demands for accountability.

Dadiyata’s matter resurfaced on February 14, 2026, when El-Rufai denied any involvement in the case and argued that the missing commentator was primarily critical of the Kano administration rather than the Kaduna State government.

“Dadiyata was not a fierce critic of the Kaduna State government. He was a fierce critic of the Kano State government.

“He is a Kwankwasiya guy; he lives in Kaduna and lectures at a university in Katsina State, but is a fierce critic not of Kaduna State. Go and review his timeline,” he said.

See also  PHOTOS: 13 Zamfara residents fleeing bandit attack drown, 22 others missing

El-Rufai further stated that he was unaware of Dadiyata before the abduction was reported to the police.

“It was Ganduje that was his problem. I didn’t even know him. We only got the report of Dadiyata’s existence and the fact that he lives in Kaduna State after the family reported to the police that he was abducted as he was returning home in the evening.

“If anybody is to be asked about the disappearance of Dadiyata, it is the Kano State Government; it has nothing to do with the Kaduna State Government. We didn’t even know he existed,” he said.

Reacting, former Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje, dismissed being linked to the case in a statement issued by his former Commissioner for Information and Internal Affairs, Muhammad Garba.

He described the claims as “reckless, unfounded, and a clear attempt to shift responsibility for an incident that occurred entirely within Kaduna State.”

According to Ganduje, Dadiyata was widely known in Kaduna for his criticism of the state government.

“Everyone in Kaduna knew the nature of the criticism he made and who it was directed at,” he said.

A security source told The PUNCH that the DSS recently seized El-Rufai’s passport at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, to prevent him from travelling abroad while investigations are ongoing.

“The DSS has reopened the case of the 2019 disappearance in Kaduna of a renowned government critic, Abubakar Idris, better known as Dadiyata, and several other cases of missing persons.

“El’Rufai is fully aware that the DSS is investigating him and his two sons for Dadiyata’s kidnapping.

See also  PHOTOS: Nigeria Police uncovers N7.7bn telecom fraud, arrests 6 suspects

The Service was reported to have reopened the case and was set to invite El-Rufai’s sons for questioning over the matter.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending