Connect with us

News

Sowore Demands Arrest Of Senator Ned Nwoko Over Alleged Human Rights Abuses

Published

on

Human rights activist and former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress, Omoyele Sowore, has called for the immediate suspension and arrest of the Senator representing Delta North, Ned Nwoko, over allegations ranging from cross-border sex trafficking to unlawful detention and misuse of state security agencies.

Sowore made the demand in a video posted on his 𝕏 account on Sunday, insisting that the controversy extended far beyond the alleged illegal detention of Regina Daniels’ brother, Samuel Ojeogwu, popularly known as Sammy West.

He said, “The outcry surrounding Senator Ned Nwoko goes far beyond the unlawful detention of his now-estranged wife, Regina Daniels’ brother, Sammy West. What we are witnessing is part of a larger, troubling pattern involving the exploitation of underage girls across borders and the misuse of state power.”

Sowore alleged that Nwoko had a long-standing history of human rights abuses aided by operatives of the Nigeria Police Force, whom he described as “now-disgraced” officers acting as the lawmaker’s “private enforcers.”

According to him, “This so-called billionaire was just throwing people in prison. When we got to prison, we found nine people who had been put in prison by the same Ned Nwoko from his village.”

Sowore further claimed that Nwoko once “hijacked” a woman’s father following a dispute, adding that several families had publicly accused the Senator of using the police to oppress them.

He warned, “Anybody who is a public figure, who is in political office, our duty, first and foremost, is to hold them to account, no matter how powerful they are.”

See also  Afenifere, northern leaders demand state police amid delays

The activist also accused the Senator of being involved in “international sex trafficking crimes,” alleging that he brought underage girls from Morocco and other countries into Nigeria.

He clarified that his intervention was not about defending Regina Daniels but about confronting what he described as systematic abuse of political and police power.

Sowore said, “I’m not fighting for Regina Daniels. I’m fighting against the abuse of office by a Nigerian Senator who is colluding with the Nigerian police and has had a history of using the police to oppress people.”

He cited the arrest of TikToker Timothy Gabriel (Turmar), who was detained after making claims about Regina Daniels’ children.

He alleged, “The Senator procured the Nigerian police, got Turmar arrested and sent him to prison. When he came out, he had been battered so badly and was forced to apologize.”

He also recounted his own experience in 2021, when he met nine detainees allegedly jailed at Nwoko’s behest over a land dispute related to the Senator’s Sports University project.

Sowore criticised the Nigeria Police Force for allegedly enabling Nwoko’s actions.

He said, “Ned has got a huge amount of support from the Nigerian police. They go to his house to eat every day. Shame on the Nigerian police for selling the police force for free.”

The activist noted that his call for accountability stemmed from a broader struggle against impunity and human rights violations entrenched in Nigeria’s political and security institutions.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  FRSC boss tells why officers need arms

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Firm bench, fiery defendant: Senior lawyers back judge’s sharp rebuke to Nnamdi Kanu

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  FG to get $500m budget support from AfDB
Continue Reading

Trending