Connect with us

News

Aiyedatiwa resolves Ondo Assembly crisis, presents N492.8bn budget

Published

on

Ondo State Governor, Mr. Lucky Aiyedatiwa, on Monday presented a N492.8bn appropriation bill to the state House of Assembly for the 2026 fiscal year.

The budget presentation comes as the governor resolved the lingering crisis in the 26-man Assembly, where 12 lawmakers were pushing to impeach the Speaker, Olamide Oladiji.

Tagged the “Budget of Economic Consolidation,” the proposal allocates N167.5bn  for recurrent expenditure and N281.9bn for capital projects.

Presenting the budget to the 26-member Assembly, Aiyedatiwa said the 2026 plan builds on the 2025 budget, marking a shift from recovery to sustained consolidation of economic gains.

He stated, “The 2025 budget, christened the Budget of Recovery, focused on stabilising critical sectors, restoring essential services, and reviving public confidence after a period of fiscal strain.

Having laid this solid foundation and achieved measurable gains—particularly in infrastructure rehabilitation, service delivery, and public financial management—the state is now positioned to deepen these achievements by strengthening revenue structures, accelerating growth-driven investments, and institutionalising reforms.

“The title of the 2026 Budget of Economic Consolidation is aptly justified as the natural progression from previous years’ activities. It reflects a deliberate shift from mere restoration to sustained consolidation of economic gains, ensuring that the progress recorded in 2025 matures into long-term prosperity, resilience, and inclusive development for the people of Ondo State.”

The governor thanked stakeholders for their contributions during the 2026 budget consultative meetings, noting that their inputs “greatly enriched this budget and enhanced its impact.”

He expressed hope that the Assembly would give the budget “careful consideration” and reaffirmed the executive’s commitment to its timely and effective implementation, adding that 2026 is expected to bring “significant progress, prosperity, and well-being” to citizens.

See also  Court reschedules Natasha’s cybercrime trial to November 24

In his remarks, the Speaker of the House, Mr. Olamide Oladiji, promised that the budget would undergo thorough scrutiny.

“This 2026 budget is aimed at consolidating the 2025 budget and improving the standard of living of our people. It is a blueprint for the better future of Ondo State,” he said.

The PUNCH had earlier reported tensions within the House, with 12 of the 26 members allegedly staying away from proceedings amid disagreements, despite all being from the ruling All Progressives Congress.

The  Speaker, Oladiji, however, disclosed on Monday that the matter had been amicably resolved following Governor Aiyedatiwa’s intervention.

He said, “My distinguished colleagues, I thank you all for your unflinching support and cooperation at all times. Your willingness and ability to resolve disagreements amicably, especially the recent crisis, is a testament to our commitment to the progress of our state.

“I appreciate your trust and confidence in my leadership. As we are living in a cohabitant world, we are bound to disagree and agree. In all that happened, I know it was for the betterment of our dear state. The interest of the state is always paramount.

“May I use this opportunity to appreciate the governor, His Excellency Dr. Lucky Aiyedatiwa Aifor, his quick intervention and fatherly efforts in resolving the crisis. Mr. Governor, sir, I am grateful for your positive disposition towards saving the situation and returning lasting peace to this honorable House.”

The PUNCH reported that one of the lawmakers leading the revolt, Mr Olajide Oguntolu, representing Akure South Constituency 1, had accused Oladiji of misappropriation of funds and withholding financial records from members.

See also  Reform or risk irrelevance - Tinubu tells UN and World leaders

“There is gross misappropriation of funds in that Assembly,” Oguntolu alleged. “This Speaker thinks he is running a kindergarten Assembly. All we are asking for is transparency and accountability. We have all signed the impeachment notice.”

However, Speaker Oladiji faulted the impeachment attempt, insisting the dissenting lawmakers were acting out of personal grievances and were attempting to hold the House hostage over demands they made to Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa.

“We have a Standing Order guiding our activities,” he said. “These honourable members who claim to have passed a vote of no confidence have not been coming to the House for legislative duties. Many of them are outside the country. They said they have certain demands from His Excellency, but we cannot tie legislative work—particularly the supplementary budget—to personal requests.”

On the allegation of misappropriation, the Speaker maintained that he neither handles nor accesses Assembly funds directly.

“We have an accounting officer in the House. I only give approvals; I do not handle money. Their accusations are tied to their demands, not to any misconduct,” he said.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Fire guts Yinka Ayefele’s Music House in Ibadan, Fresh FM affected

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  PHOTOS: At least 2 k!lled after explosion at Pennsylvania nursing home sparked fire and trapped elderly residents
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Wike vows to reveal details of Tinubu-brokered agreement

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Court reschedules Natasha’s cybercrime trial to November 24

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending