Connect with us

News

NARD sets fresh conditions to suspend strike

Published

on

The President of the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors, Dr Mohammad Suleiman, has disclosed that the National Executive Council of the association has set the conditions required for suspending the ongoing indefinite strike.

According to Suleiman, NARD’s NEC has narrowed its demands to seven priority issues that must be addressed.

Speaking in an interview with Saturday PUNCH on Friday, Suleiman explained that although three conciliation meetings were held and 19 items were discussed and agreed upon, the government had failed to implement any of the resolutions except for the partial payment of the 25–35 per cent allowance.

Health services were paralysed nationwide when the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors commenced a strike on November 1, 2025, with about 11,000 resident doctors across 91 teaching hospitals walking out in protest against poor working conditions and unpaid allowances.

The disruption in health services escalated on November 15 as the Joint Health Sector Unions began its own indefinite strike, raising alarms across multiple states and intensifying concerns about patient safety and the stability of hospital operations.

Suleiman said, “We had three conciliation meetings. We agreed on all 19 items. In fact, everybody agreed that all of them needed to be solved, and there were timelines for solving them.”

According to him, the NEC has now streamlined its conditions to seven key issues that must be resolved immediately for the strike to be suspended.

These include the reinstatement of the Lokoja doctors, the release of the Professional Allowance Table, the payment of promotion arrears, the payment of salary arrears in specific hospitals, the implementation of an upgrade for doctors who passed Part I exams and entry-level requirements, the implementation of specialist allowance, and the resolution of the Membership Certificate issue.

See also  Allow new service chiefs to be professional – Security consultant, Adamu advises

“NEC said when the government sorts these out, we will come back again and suspend this strike. That is where we are now,” he stated.

He said specific timelines were agreed upon during negotiations, particularly the previous Friday, for key actions to be taken, including the compilation of the quantum of promotion arrears, the compilation of salary arrears across affected hospitals, the issuance of a letter to the Accountant-General regarding upgrade issues, and a response from the Head of Service on the entry point for doctors, previously downgraded from Consolidated Medical Salary Structure three to CONMESS two.

He added, “Today is Friday, one full week after the deadline, and those compilations have not even been forwarded to the Minister of Finance or the Budget Office. The Head of Service has not clarified. We still don’t have an update on the Professional Allowance Table. Even the two-week extension granted on some issues has now expired without any progress.

“The Lokoja issue we agreed on—two weeks from November 6—expired yesterday (Thursday). The report has still not been submitted. No demand has been fully met, except for the 25–35 per cent allowance, which itself remains incomplete. We all agreed that 40 per cent of our members have not received that money.

“We agreed that the remittance payment report would be released by IPPIS as of last Friday. This is Friday of the following week, and the report has still not been generated. As for the accoutrement allowance for those on the Government Integrated Financial Management Information System, we compiled the list, but it has been very problematic, with cases of double payment.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  Allow new service chiefs to be professional – Security consultant, Adamu advises

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  We’ve not been notified of judgment awarding £420m to families of Nigerian coal miners - UK Government
Continue Reading

News

FG probes Plateau mine tragedy after 37 deaths

Published

on

The Federal Government on Thursday commenced a thorough investigation into the mining tragedy in Zurak community of Wase Local Government Area of Plateau State, where at least 37 miners were confirmed dead and 25 others hospitalised.

The Minister of Solid Minerals Development, Henry Dele Alake, represented by the Permanent Secretary, Faruk Yabo, led a Federal Government delegation to the site on Thursday.

Our correspondent reports that the team also includes the Director of Mines Compliance, the Director of Inspectorate, the Director of Environmental Compliance and Special Duties, as well as other Plateau State Government representatives.

The delegation’s visit followed the tragedy that struck the mining community in the early hours of Tuesday, reportedly caused by suspected carbon monoxide and sulphite gas emissions.

Speaking after arriving at the affected site, the minister conveyed condolences to the bereaved families, describing the incident as devastating.

The minister said, “It is highly tragic for a community like this to lose more than 30 able-bodied persons. We are here on a fact-finding mission.”

He noted that preliminary information suggests the presence of toxic gases at the site, although this has not yet been confirmed.

The minister expressed disappointment over the absence of technical representatives from the licensed mining company, stressing that licence holders remain responsible for safety oversight.

He also said early security reports indicated possible non-compliance with safety regulations at illegal mining sites in the area.

The minister assured that a full investigation would determine the exact cause and help prevent future occurrences.

See also  Veteran Nollywood actor, Fabian Adibe, d!es at 81

Also speaking at the site, the Assistant Commandant of Corps, Attah Onoja, who is also the National Commander of Mining Marshals under the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, said the tragedy reinforces federal efforts to eliminate illegal mining.

He assured that findings from the investigation would be fully enforced.

He also called for collaboration among security agencies to ensure a safe mining environment.

Plateau State Commissioner for Environment, Climate Change and Mineral Development, Peter Gwom, who spoke earlier, said mining falls under the Exclusive Legislative List but urged stronger implementation of the Mining Act 2007.

He noted that the state government is ready to collaborate with Federal Government authorities to ensure safer mining practices.

Gwom emphasised that Plateau’s mineral wealth should be a blessing rather than a source of tragedy, adding that the state has begun organising miners into cooperatives, providing training, safety gear and micro-loans to reduce fatalities.

“We have too many widows and fatherless children due to unsafe mining practices. This must stop,” he said.

Plateau State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Joyce Ramnap, conveyed condolences on behalf of Governor Caleb Mutfwang to the affected community and Wase Local Government Area.

She reiterated the importance of adhering to mining regulations and noted the governor’s earlier action suspending illegal mining activities to improve safety and regulatory compliance.

The Executive Chairman of Wase Local Government Area, Hamis Anani, commended the swift federal and state response.

Receiving the delegation on behalf of the affected families, a traditional ruler, Hakimi Bashar Aliyu Adamu Idris, expressed gratitude for the visit but lamented the humanitarian impact, noting that many women had been widowed and children left fatherless.

See also  Fintiri hikes corps members’ allowance to N30,000, promises new NYSC camp

He appealed for government support, particularly improved road infrastructure to enhance accessibility, security and safer mining operations in the community.

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

Trending