Connect with us

News

PHOTOS: Veteran Bollywood actor Dharmendra passes away at 89

Published

on

Veteran Bollywood actor Dharmendra passed away on Monday morning in Mumbai at the age of 89, police sources at the cremation ground confirmed to The Indian Express. The veteran actor, who had worked in over 300 films over his storied career, had been ailing for a month. His last rites were conducted at the Pawan Hans crematorium in Mumbai’s Vile Parle. His family chose to give the actor a quiet, private farewell with only his close friends present during the last rites. Dharmendra would have turned 90 on December 8 this year.

Among his Bollywood colleagues who paid tribute to him included Sholay co-star Amitabh Bachchan and his son Abhishek Bachchan, Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, Ranveer Singh and wife Deepika Padukone, Govinda and Sunjay Dutt. Hundreds of fans assembled outside the crematorium as the news of Dharmendra’s death spread. Police had to eventually close the doors of the crematorium. People could be seen sobbing outside, holding the photos of the actor.

Dharmendra was hospitalised in October for a health check-up after complaining of breathlessness. His team had shared that he was doing well and had chosen to extend his stay at the hospital so that he could undergo proper medical screening. Earlier this year, he underwent an eye graft surgery (corneal transplantation).

An outsider who came from a village in Punjab and made Hindi cinema his own, acting in over 300 films which included both mainstream blockbusters and underrated gems, Dharmendra was among those few actors whose stardom was not impacted by the rise of Rajesh Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan. As he often said, he received few awards in his career but the massive love of his fans more than made up for it. He balanced Sholay — arguably the most iconic Hindi film over decades — with a Satyakam; audience will always remember his comic turn in Chupke Chupke. His career spanned decades and generations.

See also  PHOTOS: US deploys troops to Nigeria to boost fight against Terrorism after airstrikes

Dharmendra’s story is the stuff dreams, and films, are made of. Born Dharmendra Deol, he was born to a school teacher in the Sahnewal village of Ludhiana district, Punjab in 1935. His film ambitions took off after he won a national talent contest organised by a film magazine. He made his debut in Hindi films in 1960 with Dil Bhi Tera Hum Bhi Tere. The film went unnoticed and it was only next year that he delivered his first success, Shola Aur Shabnam. He followed it up with Mohan Kumar’s Anpadh (1962), and Bimal Roy’s Bandini (1963), which won the National Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi.

Dharmendra came to be known as the charming, handsome man who could deliver captivating performances on screen. Phool Aur Patthar marked his first action role, and it was his action-hero image that eventually gave him the title of the ‘He-Man of Bollywood’.

The 1970s saw him in some of his most popular roles like Jeevan Mrityu, Tum Haseen Mai Jawan, Guddi, Yaadon Ki Baraat, Black Mail, Pratigya, Chupke Chupke, Sholay, Dream Girl, Dharam Veer, Seeta Aur Geeta, Dream Girl, The Burning Train among others. His role of Veeru in Sholay became his most famous.

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ramadan: Adamawa gov relaxes night-time restriction on tricycles

Published

on

The Governor of Adamawa State, Ahmadu Fintiri, has approved a review of the existing restriction on the operations of commercial tricycles, known as Keke NAPEP, in parts of the state for the 2026 Ramadan period.

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Humwashi Wonosikou, on Friday.

The statement said the restriction, which previously ran from 10pm to 5am would now commence an hour later.

“Under the revised directive, the restriction which previously ran from 10pm to 5am will now commence from 11p to 5am daily throughout the 2026 Ramadan period.

“The review takes immediate effect,” the statement read.

The government explained that the adjustment was introduced to ease movement for Muslim faithful during the holy month.

“The adjustment is intended to allow Muslim faithful attend late-night tafsir sessions with ease during the holy month,” it added.

The statement recalled that the Adamawa State Government had, in February 2021, imposed restrictions on the movement of tricycles and motorcycles through the Adamawa State Restriction of Movement of Tricycles/Motorcycles Executive Order No. 1 of 2021, as part of measures to strengthen public safety and security.

It noted that the latest review reflects the administration’s effort to balance religious observance with security considerations.

“The present review is therefore informed by the Government’s commitment to supporting religious observance, while maintaining the gains recorded in peace and security across the state,” the statement said.

Fintiri also directed security agencies to intensify patrols across the affected local government areas.

See also  UN demands probe after 17 protesters killed in Nepal

“Governor Fintiri has accordingly directed security agencies to intensify patrols, particularly within Yola North, Yola South and Girei, through the deployment of additional personnel to safeguard lives and property.

“He warned that any breach of the law will be dealt with decisively,” the statement added.

The governor further appealed to residents to act responsibly and avoid actions that could undermine the peace and stability currently enjoyed in the state.

Continue Reading

News

DSS to arraign El-Rufai Feb 25 over alleged cybercrime, security breach

Published

on

The Department of State Services (DSS) will on February 25 arraign former Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State on alleged cybercrime and breach of national security

LIB had earlier reported that the DSS on Monday, February 16, filed a three-count criminal charge against El-Rufai following his alleged involvement in wiretapping the telephone lines of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Mallam Nuhu Ribadu.

According to the court papers, El-Rufai was alleged to have, on Feb. 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, “admitted during the interview that he and his cohorts unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, Mr Ribadu.”

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

In count two, the ex-governor was alleged to have, on February 13, while appearing as a guest on Arise TV station’s Prime Time Programme in Abuja, stated during the interview that he knew and related with a certain individual who unlawfully intercepted the phone communications of the NSA, without reporting the said individual to relevant security agencies.

The offence is said to be contrary to and punishable under Section 27(b) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

Count three alleged that El-Rufai and others still at large, sometime in 2026, in Abuja, did use technical equipment or systems which compromised public safety and national security and instilled reasonable apprehension of insecurity among Nigerians by unlawfully intercepting the NSA’s phone communications.

See also  PHOTOS: Madagascar PM urges dialogue and unity after soldiers join protesters

The DSS said the ex-governor by his own comment during the live interview committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 131(2) Nigerian Communications Act 2003.”

lindaikejiblog.com

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

Continue Reading

News

Mob besieges Benin FRSC office

Published

on

The Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Malam Shehu Mohammed, has praised the Nigerian Army and Nigeria Police Force for their swift and decisive response during the recent attack on the Benin Toll Gate Unit Command Office.

The attack occurred on Thursday at the RS5.12 Benin Toll Gate Unit on the Benin–Lagos Expressway, following a crash involving two trucks, the statement said.

One truck driver died in the accident, while FRSC personnel sustained critical injuries, with one officer later succumbing despite urgent medical attention.

“In the aftermath of the crash, an angry mob besieged and vandalised the Unit Command formation. However, the prompt response by security agencies helped to restore order and prevent further escalation,” Mohammed said in a statement issued on Friday by the FRSC spokesman, Olusegun Ogungbemide, in Abuja.

The Corps Marshal condemned the attack on FRSC personnel and facilities as “deeply regrettable and unacceptable,” emphasising that the operatives were on lawful duty to save lives.

He also commiserated with the families of the deceased driver, the fallen officer, and the entire FRSC workforce.

Mohammed has ordered a comprehensive investigation into both the immediate and underlying causes of the crash and the circumstances that led to the mob action.

He assured the public that anyone found culpable would be brought to justice.

The FRSC boss reaffirmed the Corps’ commitment to ensuring safer roads for all Nigerians and called on the public to remain calm, law-abiding, and supportive of its activities.

(NAN)

punch.ng

FOLLOW US ON:

FACEBOOK

TWITTER

PINTEREST

TIKTOK

YOUTUBE

LINKEDIN

TUMBLR

INSTAGRAM

See also  Anglican church to consecrate 15 bishops, unveil 14 dioceses
Continue Reading

Trending